HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2002, 02:15 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Anybody out there know anything about the Classic and Eclipse F3J planes by NSP?

Between my expected tax refund and reimbursment for last semester's tuition, I am hoping to treat myelf to one of these planes. They are pretty affordable as big molded planes go. Besides the different wing sections, SD7037vs.MH32, they look pretty much the same. Yet, there is a big difference in all up weight...something like 67vs.80oz., I think. I am biased towards the Classic with it's MH32 section, and lighter weight. Have any of you had any experience with these planes?

Thanks,

Rick
tempest411 is offline Find More Posts by tempest411
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2002, 08:15 AM
Ocala, Florida
Joined Apr 2001
321 Posts
Hi, there are 3 Eclipses in our club. It's a good plane, but the design dates back to 1998. The Classic is a newer design and much ligther, as most of the newer planes are. The MH32 airfoil will allow more penetration on windy days. This airfoil responds well to camber change. While the Eclipse is a good plane, I would go with the newer design Classic. Rich
aireze is offline Find More Posts by aireze
Old Feb 06, 2002, 04:53 PM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Rich,

Thank you for your comments. I'm still on the fence as to whether I will get one of these at all, but if I do, the Classic will be one of my first choices.

Rick
Old Feb 06, 2002, 05:42 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Have you tried asking around the various shops for airplanes with slight blemishes? When I was buying my first big molded airplane (on a university student's coffeee-shop pay I might add) I found a very slightly blem'ed Hera from Icare for $325 Cdn...or about $200 Am. It was a purely cosmetic shipping ding in the wing, and it clearly wasn't structural since the airplane is still flying a year and a half later. Our club uses Rahm winches and short lines, so it hasn't had an easy life either! I'm looking forward to graduating this year (mech eng) so I can buy more toys
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old Feb 07, 2002, 05:48 AM
San jose, CA
Joined Jun 2000
426 Posts
Soarneck,

Actually I have considered shopping for a blemished new, or used plane. But you know, in those circumstances I think it's absolutely necessary to see with your own eyes what you're getting, and that's kind of difficult to do with most of the distributors being scattered across the country. Of course, when I do have the cash in hand, I'll check and see if anyone local to me has anything, but I'm not counting on it. I expect I may have a good chance at the Los Banos Scale event this year.

Good job on getting your degree (soon!) as a Mechanical Engineer! I'd love to do that...I just suck terribly at math The way I can afford my toys is by bearing the humiliation of being 32 and living at home!

Rick