HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2004, 10:07 PM
san jose ,CA
Joined Jun 2004
541 Posts
Question
arugg!! wings on my pico cub flap like a bird!!!HELP!!

ARUGG!!! help i have the gws cub (pico stick. its just yellow) and i flew it today and the wings flap ,when i change directions or dived . infact i dove to avoid a tree ,and the wings flaped so bad the plane did not want to pull out of the dive until just inches above the ground then the rear support thing broke in half and the plane hit the ground ( luckly it was just a few inches above the ground) so no damage besides the support thing . I am running a cdrom brushless (8oz of thrust on the 9x4.7 apc)with 2 cell lipo . plane weight 7.4oz is the plane to heavy for the wings? help!!
rumplestilskin is offline Find More Posts by rumplestilskin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2004, 09:51 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,156 Posts
rumplestilskin,

It sounds like your Pico Cub is overpowered for the strength of the airframe. The original design of the Pico Cub and Pico Stik called for 6 NiCad cells, the GWS IPS motor with 6:1 gears, and 10X4.7 prop. This combo will work indoors okay, where there is no wind and the airplane can be flown slowly. Outdoors, where it's usually breezy, the airplane needs more power (which is probably why you're using a CD-ROM brushless), but the structure can't take the higher speed and forces.

Do some searching in theses forums and you'll find ways to brace the wings. You can use bamboo kebab skewers and some of those leftover plastic thingies that came with your Cub.

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Sep 07, 2004, 12:11 PM
RB
Buford GA
Joined Jul 2001
480 Posts
If you are a not a total newbie I would suggest glueing the wing halves together with no dihedral, cutting out some ailerons and adding an 1/8" tubular CF spar under the wing. You will probably just have to glue the wing to the fuse stik. raise the front of the wing up about 3/16". Cutting the wingspan down to 25 > 28" will improve the aerobatics with a little loss of "float".

The plane in the pic has a 25" span and the ailerons need to be bigger and the rudder hooked up. It was not hardly flyable with the stock IPS and 6 cell 350 nicads. An S1 IPS helped a little. A 2s lipo helped a little more. A LensRC 17T made the thing fun. The undercambered wing does not work well for fast zipping about.

RB
RB is offline Find More Posts by RB
Old Sep 07, 2004, 01:19 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,156 Posts
With the kind of power rumplestilskin is using, he would still need to reinforce those wings.

Jim R
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Sep 07, 2004, 03:47 PM
san jose ,CA
Joined Jun 2004
541 Posts
yes i like the glue idea but the space between the wings is where i have all the elecronics . the foam is flimsey so i think i will need more reinforcement maby replacing the plastic connectors with someting stronger... I will try to post a pic of my current setup
rumplestilskin is offline Find More Posts by rumplestilskin