HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2004, 09:48 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,889 Posts
Do planks fly funny or is it just me?

As my slope flying skills evolve I have noticed that planks just seem to fly "different." I am a skilled slimer pilot (well, I think so at least ) and transitioning from glo to sloping with a XR cambat wing took some time- ie: let the glider run to maintain airspeed, try to fly "quiet" in light lift, turn away from the ridge and into the wind, maintain energy to save your butt later, and if you pull up too hard it will tip stall (duh). But when the lift is up- it is pretty much the same thing- except of course unlimited vertical is out of the question.

I also like to fly with lots of throw, and have my TX setup to be very responsive. When banging a turn with a combat wing, or even a tailed airplane I only need 1/4-1/2 stick movement. But on almost every plank I have flown I need almost full elevator throw to get the thing to do a decent slow-motion turn. I have flown Ian's M60 and his old Moth (he flys that thing like a madman!), my own moth, AND I got to fly Jerry's brand new Electron 60 yesterday in some nice lift, and all of them required tons of stick movement to make them turn.

Is it wrong to expect a plank to turn like a combat wing?

Is what I am "feeling" in the sticks just a "linear" elevator response?

Am I a dork?

When they are moving out- ie after a dive or something they seem to "slam" the turn better, but cramming the stick all the way back just feels too wierd to me. It makes me nervous- on most of my other ships full throws at speed= tip stall/ crash. Am I just a spaz, or do planks really fly different?
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2004, 09:54 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
my "planks" bang a turn WAY harder and faster than all my "combat" wings.... without ever a tipstall...

i love planks... i think their easier to teach someone how to fly too.... my G/F's cousins couldnt fly my zagi5c, its kept tipstalling because they didnt know better not to YANK the stick... threw out my 60"JW and they were actually able to fly it.... i like everything about planks better.... i think Wings are HORRIble to fly..... but thats just me

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Sep 06, 2004, 09:57 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,437 Posts
I'll turn my sawtooth 60 inside of a flying wing you know I fly only Planks Cody and I fly everything on full rates but thats just me for them to be so sedate sounds like nose heavy syndrome you want flick wind the rates up and move the lead back they turn so quick your nose will bleed lol
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Sep 06, 2004, 10:46 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,889 Posts
I know it is very hard, if not impossible to tip stall a plank. I don't doubt that Jerry's electron was a little nose heavy- it was just maidened that day. Ian helped him to get it dialed in, but I don't know how much they experimented with the CG.

JOe- are you serious-a plank banging a turn FASTER than a combat wing??? Yikes! Sometimes my Raider turn so quick it is unreal- going one way this second, to going the other way 1/2 second later! Especially on the upwind leg or doing split S's UK style.

Steve- nosebleed huh? Hmmm... maybe I do see a sawtooth in my future!

Thanks for the responses-

Cody
Old Sep 06, 2004, 10:50 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,437 Posts
the sawtooth will turn in its on chord well it doesnt turn it just sort of stops going one way and is coming back at ya stands on a wingtip and flick there it is facing the other way
Old Sep 06, 2004, 11:58 PM
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2004
269 Posts
Where can a guy get one of these sawtooths?
seeker is offline Find More Posts by seeker
Old Sep 07, 2004, 12:05 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,437 Posts
our web site has photo of mine in action there is also some short vid's
yes its my design and no I not in it for the money lol this is not a commerical
http://swenban.rchomepage.com/
Old Sep 07, 2004, 12:45 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,102 Posts
1. You want the NCFM planks you've flown to be something they're not. They may not bang a turn the way you want em to, but they'll still kill any of your combat wings on a pylon course, and that includes in the turns. A combat wing may change directions in a smaller space, but the Moth will beat it through the turn, carry more energy in the process and smoke it down the straights. I was using moving combat wings *as* pylons yesterday.
2. Joe's speaking from experience with JWs. JWs bang harder turns, (its airfoil
is designed for high angles of attack) but don't retain as much energy as
the NCFM planes on the frontside. My first plank was a 54" JW and I flew the wings off that thing. It's very stable near the ground, and pulls hard turns and hard loops, but my 48" Bluto would smoke it down the straights.
3. The Electron you flew yesterday was on low rate elevator settings, and we never really got around to testing high rates to see how hard it'd pull. I don't think its CG was that far off, if at all. When put into a dive, it stayed in a dive, flown level, it stayed level.

BTW, that's the first Electron I've seen in Colorado, let alone flown, and while it was smooth and fast, it wasn't quite as fast as I expected it to be, especially for the weight it was. I suspect it'd come alive in a bit more wind and it certainly demonstrated its durability quite well.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2004, 01:36 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,889 Posts
You may be right about me wanting something to be something else- The NCFM planes are very impressive- they eat up sky like no other foamie I have seen. Except maybe that Electron-

They just feel wierd to me. There have been a few times when I NEEDED to pull up hard (due to my own mistakes of course) to avoid the ground and there just wasn't enough oomph to get the nose up without hyperstall. Maybe I am just a spaz and need a spastic airplane...

I got some new covering for my moth this weekend, and as soon as I get some time I will be piecing her back together minus all the extra weight. Maybe then it won't feel so bizarre to my fingers.

Thanks for all your input.

Cody
Old Sep 07, 2004, 01:49 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,102 Posts
I'm fairly familiar with the "something goes wrong" scenario
and usually it has something to do with being too close to
the ground, without much airspeed, and planks just aren't meant
to fly that slow, and when they do, the elevator response gets
mushy. Keeping in mind that stall speed for a plank is about
the speed most combat wings fly.

Regards.. "they eat up sky like no other foamie I have seen. Except
maybe that Electron-". Keep in mind his unballasted electron was
at a weight somewhere near that of a semi-ballasted M60, which I didn't
have. In fact, I was pacing the Electron with an unballasted Moth. It'd
pump higher, but wasn't accellerating out of the turns as fast. I think
it'd have been much happier earlier in the day when we had 45mph
winds at lip.

BTW, I'm uploading the North Table video now, but I'm not sure I can afford
the bandwidth to host it this month, as it's nearly 6 minutes and
40 megabytes.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2004, 02:56 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,437 Posts
loose the draggy pod fuses of them and then watch em go nothing like pure plank wings
Old Sep 07, 2004, 04:21 AM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Cody, it's you!! , too low, too slow Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Last edited by Antonsoarer; Sep 07, 2004 at 04:25 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2004, 05:20 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
loose the draggy pod fuses of them and then watch em go nothing like pure plank wings
Good point, Steve. Although, the Moth/M60 fuses (when shaped nice and round) are fairly low drag in profile and do provide a useful way to leverage the battery weight out in front, as well as a handy fin holder down the back. But maybe this is why their Bluto was/is so well regarded as the ultimate EPP speed wing - no fuse to slow it down?
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
Old Sep 07, 2004, 05:22 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban
the sawtooth will turn in its on chord well it doesnt turn it just sort of stops going one way and is coming back at ya stands on a wingtip and flick there it is facing the other way
I'm looking forward to trying out the EPP version in a few weeks Steve!
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
Old Sep 07, 2004, 06:10 AM
Germany
Joined May 2003
187 Posts
Hi Cody,

ever tried Dual Rate on elevator? You might want to give elevator just 1mm more throw in moderate conditions (or maybe landing)?

Greetings from Holland,

Bob
wish is offline Find More Posts by wish