SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2004, 08:43 PM
Joined Jan 2002
314 Posts
symmetrical vs. semi-symmetrical wing?

How would the flying characteristics differ in a "Zagnutz" type FFF wing with a symmetrical wing vs. a semi-symmetrical wing (flatter on the bottom)?

Would it fly either way?

I would think with a symmetrical wing, it would be more apt to fly in whatever direction it is pointed, be faster, and it would be able to fly inverted better, but it would not get as much lift for gliding.

With a semi-symmetrical, it would glide better, but would not be as aerobatic.

Is there a simple "Magic" formula that gives the best of both worlds? Or just good ol' trial and error?
Bret is offline Find More Posts by Bret
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2004, 08:47 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
yep its called the good old Rg15 wing section
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Sep 06, 2004, 08:52 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
the S6062 section will also work for you try this link for all your section needs :0)
http://www.aae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html
Old Sep 06, 2004, 09:53 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2004
476 Posts
I have flown both types of wing and the better I get the more I find that I escape near crashed and get out of trouble quickly by pulling out inverted. A Symetrical foil flies almost as good inverted as right side up. You are limited on what you can do with a flat bottom wing...you have to keep correcting right and left to keep the wings level.

As far as gliding goes...When I first got a Wing Worrior Zipper I had to keep circling around to land because it wouldn't lose altitude at the rate I was used to...It would just hang in the air. You will find that virtually all serious Slope soaring enthusiasts (that fly a wing) use a symetrical wing. Any flaws in the wing stick out like a sore thumb when you don't have a motor powering through (for example when you are slope soaring)
asmokindeal is offline Find More Posts by asmokindeal
Old Sep 06, 2004, 10:14 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmokindeal
I have flown both types of wing and the better I get the more I find that I escape near crashed and get out of trouble quickly by pulling out inverted. A Symetrical foil flies almost as good inverted as right side up. You are limited on what you can do with a flat bottom wing...you have to keep correcting right and left to keep the wings level.

As far as gliding goes...When I first got a Wing Worrior Zipper I had to keep circling around to land because it wouldn't lose altitude at the rate I was used to...It would just hang in the air. You will find that virtually all serious Slope soaring enthusiasts (that fly a wing) use a symetrical wing. Any flaws in the wing stick out like a sore thumb when you don't have a motor powering through (for example when you are slope soaring)
Yes Sym section do fly inverted the same as right side up but have to slow you down abit on the serious slope soarers using full sym section nothing could be furthur from the truth . I only fly slope I only fly wings and Planks
I design and build using a wide variety of sections the RG15 is not full sym but will fly happily inverted this section is a much used section by my fellow slopers . The section you choose will be on most part dictated by where and what you fly eg with altitude full sym is hopeless and a semi sym section that can provide lift in less dense atmosphere (I guess you would say horses for courses) any way go for the RG15 it will work for power as well as slope