HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2002, 05:35 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
Good to see some SA beer worship around here - Coopers is definitely one of the best. Stick VB for a joke, horrible muck.

ChrisP - at least there'd be some decent muscly cars around then
Go check out www.hsv.com.au and look at the coupes - fancy versions of the new Monaro's....... *sigh* I can only dream (and drool).

Shame F1 was moved out of Adelaide (bastards in Melbourne stole it), we had the best street circuit in the world. Well, now we got the Adelaide 500 and that has to be the best V8 race!
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Feb 07, 2002, 09:30 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Well I was hoping for some cooler weather on the move to the northern hemisphere but living in the former top end of Australia I see I still lose (being inverted now) as I'm still just as close to the equator as I was before! Is there no escape from this flaming heat?!
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Feb 07, 2002, 11:01 AM
Michele Somaschini, Spain
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
Trizza,

I never heard about the HSV Maloo. Nice aussie car!!
Lot of space to carry my planes.

Send me one of them!
RookieOne is offline Find More Posts by RookieOne
Old Feb 07, 2002, 07:24 PM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
316 Posts
MR. Bungle!!!! Crown lager is just reject export fosters and should not be mentioned in the same papagraph as

Coopers beers of any description, it's the sparking ale for me!

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Feb 08, 2002, 08:02 AM
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
OK, I see you want to talk about beer.

Anybody has tryed to brew it at home?
I've seen a website where they offer a "doing yourself" kit including a recipe book which shows you how to get different kinds of beers.

It.s 126,21 EURO (111 USD aprox.)

It's worth?
Old Feb 08, 2002, 09:35 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieOne
OK, I see you want to talk about beer. Anybody has tryed to brew it at home?
Once. In 1969 :

I lived in a flat with 3 others guys. We wanted to throw a party, but couldn't afford it. Someone came up with the idea of making our own beer. We made gallons of the stuff. It tasted great but was cloudy. One of the guys had a day off work and said he would filter it. We came home to find beautifully clear beer, but it tasted horrible. Seems he had used Izal toilet paper to filter it (which if you ain't a Brit and don't know) was MEDICATED toilet paper.
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Feb 08, 2002, 02:59 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,508 Posts
I usually brew my year's supply this time each year. Usually twelve cases of 12 oz bottles worth but right now I'm waiting to see if I'll be going out of state for work for a little while.
Brewing is as easy as baking a cake from scratch really. Good ingredients = good brew. Instead of filtering, I siphon into a second container to settle some more and after a week or so in the secondary I go ahead and bottle up.
My two favorites are a Red Hook ESB recipe with an Irish yeast vs London Special. The combination seems to make it just a skosh less bitter but the alky content is still ~ 5.5%. The other one I brew is a Creme Porter that's great for after dinner. It's another one that'll warm your ears if you aren't careful.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 08, 2002, 03:13 PM
gilbert, az usa
Joined Mar 2001
30 Posts
I second Mark on the brewing. Very easy and rewarding. There is no need to go purchasing a bunch of fancy equipment. I bought a 6qt stock pot at a swap meet for $4, a thermometer and hydometer (sp?) at the local brewing store for about $10. I also purchased a bottle capper used for about $20. It not one of the heavy duty ones but it caps the bottles! Saved my dark bottles (dark glass protects the beer better from sun light) and I'm set.

I use to keg the beer which was really easy, but that equipment was left behind in Minn. when I moved. Now its one night to brew, wait a week and transfer to a secondary fermenter, wait another week and one night to bottle. I let the bottles sit for a week or two before tasting. I love Guiness (sp?) and have found a recipe for a Guiness clone that is almost as good as the real thing in Dublin and much better than what you can get in the states. The web is full of ideas and recipes for different types of beer. I found my recipe for a red lager (favorite summer beer) on the web and make that constantly from April through October to keep my friends happy.

Give it a try. The worst that can happen is you make a bad batch and the dog gets a little tipsy cleaning up your mess!!
mothers is offline Find More Posts by mothers
Old Feb 09, 2002, 05:51 AM
rebmeM roineS
Rockingham, Perth - Western Australia
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trizza
...snip... Shame F1 was moved out of Adelaide (bastards in Melbourne stole it), we had the best street circuit in the world .....snip....
Yeah and they stole the Vines golf from WA, they have also been trying to steal the Rally Australia from us too. Hopefully they won't get it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oneson1 MR. Bungle!!!! Crown lager is just reject export fosters ...
Ewwww! It is??? I HATE Fosters!!
I thought it was a special brew done for the Queen's visit in the 50's, atleast thats what I've read.

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieOne OK, I see you want to talk about beer.

Anybody has tryed to brew it at home?
Yeah, the day I turned 18 (legal drinking age here) I went out and bought a homebrew kit with my b'day cash. Made brews regularly for about 2 years, even did a 'Party Special' brew for friends .... about 15% alc. hehe
Those kingbrown bottles(750ml - 25oz) were equivalent to drinking a six pack! lol, they were very popular
MrBungle is offline Find More Posts by MrBungle
Old Feb 13, 2002, 12:47 AM
Grand Poobah of Nothing
Once Australia, now Finland
Joined Feb 2001
1,022 Posts
Hmm a question just occurred to me... You use a still to make vodka and fortified wine etc etc (to get alc concentrations about 15%, where yeast is denatured), but I've never heard of BEER being put thru a still. Anyone ever heard of this being done? Interested to know what its like!
Trizza is offline Find More Posts by Trizza
Old Feb 13, 2002, 03:27 AM
Madrid (Spain)
Joined Sep 2001
1,102 Posts
Trizza,
Some weeks ago, I took a bottle of some kind of beer liquour.

It tasted very strange (original) but too bitter.

Try to do it.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 06:50 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
316 Posts
Trizza,
remember those times when your'e Dad said "Son, never do.....( enter foolish thing/act here)..... or you'll have someone's eye out/live to regret it/ spend far too much time having to appologise to yer mother...... Trizza this is one of those times mate, just don't do it, put that stupid idea on the ground and back away from it while some of us adults trap it in a sack and drown it in the river. ...... good.... everyone back to his own bed and turn the lights out!!

hugh
Homebrew King!!

And as for you, Rookie one, just stay where you are (a long way away) and no-ones gonna get hurt OK
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Feb 13, 2002, 07:52 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Trizza: that's basdically what scotch whisky is, though I don't think they bother to sell the barley/wheat beer. Don't try it yourself unless you don't value your sight. Home distilling has a nasty habit of producing methanol as well ethanol. Not to be recommended.
One of the disadvantages of being an ex-pat is that a drop of decent British ale is hard to come by. Marston's and John Smith's the only ones to be seen regularly. What I wouldn't do for a pint of "Old Peculiar" from Lancashire way.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 13, 2002, 10:36 PM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
Whoa! Settle down lads.

Wot 'av yer done wif Bermuda??. The map's no screamin' hell but IIRC Bermuda is (sing it with me) '700 miles at sea'. Seems Sydney is positively pivoting on the lighthouse at North Rock.

And just so we stay on topic, je pense that the beer of choice was White Horse, in St. George's. Someday I'll tell the story about the two guys on the moped, only barely impaired, but greatly disoriented, who went around the round-about (call 'em a rotary where I come from)outside the US airbase (insert appropriate aviation topic - B-57's) the wrong way around - couldn't find the exit it seems. Local gendarmerie in a Land Rover caught up with them at the Biological Station and gave them a right dressing down. Still brings tears to my eyes.

Ahh, the good old days.

Marten
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Feb 14, 2002, 03:29 AM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
Joined Jun 2001
450 Posts
g'day mate.
Aussi in exile.
austrALIAN in New York
iankraus is offline Find More Posts by iankraus