Old Sep 05, 2004, 07:19 PM
Devon, UK.
Joined May 2004
116 Posts
best all-round sloper/themaler

I am looking for an all round glider.

Criteria..
2m-2.5m (up to 100 inches)
Strong ( can survive a ding or two), well built, easy to put together.
Can thermal in light conditions and good on windy slope.

So far these are close....
Wizard Compact 2
Lynx 2m from ds model
Airtech Xrace
Breta Hades 2 ( carbon version seems perfect but big at 2.8m )
X21 ( meets criteria but also slightly larger than I'm after )

Any opinions on the above models or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need an allround model as I'm going travelling for a few years in a camper van so only have room for one durable model.
Cheers
skratt is offline Find More Posts by skratt
Last edited by skratt; Sep 05, 2004 at 08:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2004, 09:14 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skratt
Can thermal in light conditions and good on windy slope.
Kinda opposites ends of the spectrum, no?

Personally, and this is just my own opinion, I'd rather have one really good thermal plane and one really good slope plane rather than a single plane that did both sort of half-donkey, if you will

But that's just me! I hope people who know the models you mentioned can help

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2004, 09:40 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
...and everyone knows you can't have just ONE slope plane...

I can't really imagine flying any of me favorite slopers on flatland...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Sep 05, 2004, 09:45 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Brian McLaine Extreme-- Soaring USA Blade XL-- if ya want it now-- go Soaring USA-- if ya can wait a year-- get an Extreme!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 05, 2004, 10:09 PM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
If you want something good at both without alot of debt, consider the Sierra from Art Hobby. 100", RG-15 airfoil, good and light for it's size and will thermal easily, packs easily. My friend has one and flys it all the time. You can also harden it against damage with carbon and kevlar easily. But if bucks are plenty, go with a high end moldie.
LWThompson is offline Find More Posts by LWThompson
Old Sep 06, 2004, 02:25 AM
Purpleland
Joined Sep 2002
190 Posts
Doubt there's such a thing as an 'all round Glider' for slope and thermal. A slope soarer is next to useless on a flat field, and a thermal ship is useless on a slope (edited for language). Get one of those fancy mouldie's if you like, and get a box of handkerchief's with it, you'll need them after you've been to the slope!

tHE baRon PURple
Like a Berry in a Blender
Purple Baron is offline Find More Posts by Purple Baron
Last edited by Mark Wood; Oct 02, 2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2004, 04:07 AM
Rat Dude
AZ
Joined Jun 2004
596 Posts
Quote:
A slope soarer is next to useless on a flat field, and a thermal ship is useless on a slope.
Not necessarily true...there are thermal ships out there that will dominate the slopes, with speed, aerobatic manuevers and grace. You don't have to fly like an...um...well.. ***** with them either.

However, this kind of question is really opening a huge can of worms! There are planes that can easily wear both hats - but everyone is going to have their own opinion as to which one it is. Maybe you should just throw a dart at the ones you are interested in and see where it lands and go with that...it would probably be much more effective anyhow!
mwraight is offline Find More Posts by mwraight
Last edited by Mark Wood; Oct 02, 2004 at 03:10 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old Sep 06, 2004, 04:33 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
Hi Skratt,

Two more for your list: Pike Brio and Nyx Furio. Both of them are incredible machines for BOTH F3F and F3B. But the price of them is almost the double than the X'Race (wich costs less than $600). X'Race has a very good quality/price relationship.

Cheers,

Alvaro.
Alvaro Silgado is online now Find More Posts by Alvaro Silgado
Old Sep 06, 2004, 12:50 PM
F3B enthousiast!
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Hi skratt,
i own an X21 and a Pike Superior Xtail.

i havent flown the Pike yet but i think it will fly well on the slope too as a sport plane (not for competition though). I have an electro fuse for it because it is great for light days on the slope and thermal flying from flat field.
It is worth considering a glider for which you could have one wing/2 fuses like i have with the Superior (1 glider fuse +1 e-fuse)

I have been flying the X21 for 9 months on the slope and picked this one because it is so versatile like you say. it is an F3B model and to me F3B models perform well on flat field and on the slope. the X21 is great at both even though i havent tried it on flat field yet,but other people seem to be happy with it.

The Brio is very good too,if you went for a light version it would do well on flat field too.

all these models are however bigger than your stated 2.5m wingspan

Hope this helps

Guillaume
guillaume83 is offline Find More Posts by guillaume83
Old Sep 06, 2004, 02:37 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
If you want a good deal on a brand new Brisk II-- I'll sell it to you-- I've picked up too many F3F style planes the last year and have never built this one for whatever reason! It's set up for Voltz servo's-- had them installed at one time and took all the gear out before flying to put together a larger Scale plane-- and now I've got too many planes! The Brisk will work very well on the slope-- and will thermal also with a good tow line launch-- not the lightest thermal plane-- but VERY capable and will really tear up the slope! IMHO-- Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Sep 06, 2004, 03:51 PM
Landings are not optional
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
http://www.upslopesailplanes.com/
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Old Sep 06, 2004, 04:25 PM
dying to be flying
Merced, CA
Joined Jun 2004
984 Posts
scale down and get the Mini Floh (AIL) from nesail.com . You will find it under micro/misquito class even thought it has a wingspan of 54".
thrasher is offline Find More Posts by thrasher
Old Oct 01, 2004, 04:21 PM
Bridgwater, UK
Joined Dec 2003
75 Posts
I own a Kevlar DRAGON from Valenta model (German?). Incredibly tough, our slope is hostile and rocky so it's been tested. Bit big at 2.8M but will out slope most, takes ballast and it thermals very well, normally matches or exceeds 4m Alpinas and Solutions. F3B but all round animal - also CHEAP, less than half the price of a Pike, for example.

Also I hear the Carbon Mini- Blade or Blade XL is superb in the 2m class but not flown it yet. I own a Mini Dragon 1.5M (too fast to land up here safely) and a Breta Hera/Hades combi made from spares. The fuz is Hera F3B and the wingset is old MK1 Hades RG15 2.8M. Breta are quality, but don't get the glass wings, they damage REAL easily.

Just waiting for the NCFM M60 to clear customs... now that IS a nice machine for the money.....

Steve
WMSA
Somerset UK
m1bjr is offline Find More Posts by m1bjr
Last edited by m1bjr; Oct 01, 2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2004, 04:56 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,148 Posts
I'de have to go with either the Wizard or the Extreme. Both will fly in light slope lift and can take advantage of Thermals on the slope. Both of these are a nice size, not too big and not too small. The ability to work the lighter lift really drops off as the wingspan decreases. So if you really want to be able to fly the light stuff I'de stay away from the smaller spans.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Oct 01, 2004, 06:57 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
In the 2m range, you might also consider a Maple Leaf Image. Where the Extreme is biased towards slope performance, the Image is biased towards thermalling. The wait list for a new one is a year, but used ones show up from time to time.

If you're willing to go bigger, you might look at the Race-M. I think Greg Smith at slopeflyer.com has a couple of them in stock. I watched Greg maiden his at Soar Utah a month ago and it looks like a very nice plane. http://www.sailplaneshop.com/planes/racemf3f.html

I almost forgot the Stratos 5 - I just got one, but haven't put it together yet. Info is here http://f3b.cz/produkty/str5-f3b.php3 . ShredAir imports them in the US.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Last edited by Frank S; Oct 01, 2004 at 07:00 PM.