HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2001, 08:37 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
I think my downthrust is set wrong on my Electric Flying wing, help!

I need help fast before I go fly this plane again! I have my thrust set so the thrust direction is pushing more towards the ground, in a pusher prop. What I mean by this is that I have the motor angled toward the ground on the farthest back side on the motor/plane, etc. I figure this will make it nose in, maybe. Do I need my "downthrust" set so the motor is angle more towards the sky, where the thrust is going? Help me please, I don't want to screw this up, even though my plane is basically indestructable....

It's a regular boomerang flying wing with a power-pod accesory I designed and flew many times. I used to have the thrust level to the wing. The pod unit is made of coroplast.
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2001, 09:22 PM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
I'd say put it back level. If any, you'd want the back of the motor (prop end) slightly higher than the front. Think of it as a tad of up elevator. IE, the prop pushes down and raises the nose. Actually the thrust line should be right through the center of mass of the plane so if it's hi it will be different than if mounted low. If like most flying wings, it's near the wing camber line so level should be OK.
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Old Aug 08, 2001, 02:54 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Hello,

It is <U>usual</U> for pusher props to have upthrust as the are at the opposite end of the plane . . .
Even though the motor is not at the rear of the model as such . . .

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64