HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2002, 12:57 PM
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jun 2001
434 Posts
Haldor what CAD program do you use!

Hello,

I saw your CAD model of your Mig 29 and am wondering what program you used to draw it. It looks great! I am in the process of designing a plane from a 3 view and am doing it in solid models as well. I can either use Mechanical Desktop or Solidworks. I would just like to know what you use.

Best regards,

Marc Webster
thrmaln is offline Find More Posts by thrmaln
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2002, 01:13 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
I believe that Haldor is an AutoCAD 2000 user like myself.

James
Admiral_Red is offline Find More Posts by Admiral_Red
Old Feb 05, 2002, 01:32 PM
Joined Jun 2001
434 Posts
Hey James,

The version of Mechanical desktop I use is built on the Autocad 2000 platform. I will most likely use Mechanical desktop since I am much more proficient at it than solidworks. I have been using autocad since version 10 and MDT since version 1 (long time ago) and have only been using solidworks for the past year. Its a great tool for drawing toys!

Best regards,

Marc Webster
Old Feb 05, 2002, 01:54 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
I can do a lot of what I want to in 2D. My problem comes when I go 3D, I just have no clue what to do. I am working on it, but spending too much time trying to do it in 3D is counter productive. I need to pick up a book on the subject as I feel so lost. I am frustrated with a simple 5 piece 3D assembly for the wing pivot on my F-14.

James
Old Feb 05, 2002, 02:14 PM
Joined Jun 2001
434 Posts
Hey James,

You should make the switch to MDT (mechanical desktop). If you know autocad than you can learn MDT in a very short time. Basicaly, MDT is a parametric solid modeler add on to regular autocad. What parametric means is the models are dimension driven. I know that does not mean much to you now, but its what seperates regular autocad 3d from MDT. I would rather have a cactus enima than go back to designing in regular autocad 3D. Also, in MDT the parts are easily modified which is a big plus. There are limitations though, MDT does not like to work with complex shapes such as compound curves in lofted fuselages. It will do it but it is not fun. It is quite good for all of the internal framework such as on your F14.

I saw your F14, and that small assembly would only take a few minutes to draw up in MDT. You did an incredible job on the F14 though. Looks great. If you ever need help, let me know!

Best Regards,

Marc Webster
Old Feb 05, 2002, 02:34 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
I use Solidworks. Nothing like a parametric solid modeler's ability to go in and change features to fine tune a 3D model.

There is a progression you go thru to think in 3D. Doing all your preliminary work in 2D like Autocad is fine. Move your details from 2d into sketches in Solidworks and start to build your 3D model. This will definitely check the accuracy of your formers and sub structure, compared to the outer skin surfaces. Eventually you will be up to speed.

When you get to a point that the whole thing is in 3D. You could hand off a file to a vendor and they could cut a part or tool directly from it and you would never have to go out into the shop and build the parts. And you would know everything would fit and be symetrical.

Keep practicing.

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Feb 05, 2002, 04:51 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Is Mechanical Desktop an Autodesk product? And SolidWorks?

James
Old Feb 05, 2002, 05:03 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Solidworks click here Mechanical Desktop is an Autodesk product.
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Feb 05, 2002, 05:23 PM
Joined Jun 2001
434 Posts
Hey James,

Yes, MDT is a product of autodesk. It started out as an upgrade module to release 13 autocad labeled as autocad designer. It was brought about to give parametric modeling abilities to people who were familiar with autocad. Autodesk was losing people because another program, Pro-Engineer could do so much more but it also cost many times more and only a few companies could afford it at that time. MDT offered acad users parametric modeling at an affordable cost. Pro-engineer countered with PT modeler which was a watered down version of Pro-E to compete with MDT. Right about this time Solidworks entered the scene to steal users from MDT and PT modeler. Since then, many other companies have entered the mix as well. As far as R/C model design, each of them has their pluses and minuses.

Autodesk has another program above MDT. It's called autodesk inventor and is supposed to compete with Pro-e and Catia. I played with the first version of inventor and was not impressed. Maybe it's better now?

Trust me, if you already know acad 2000 than with a very small amount of time or help you could use MDT. If you live in southern California, maybe i could lend a hand.

Best regards,

Marc Webster
Old Feb 05, 2002, 05:31 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
I actually have a copy of Pro-E on hand, I might just give a go at it tonight! Never have used it much, and didn't have the time to learn the interface. I'll bet I should be able to get this sorted out one way or another. As for living in CA, in TX now, but I might make a trip sometime! I would like to hit the slopes and visit my friends there.

Now to get rid of the clutter on my HD to make room for Pro-E!

James
Old Feb 05, 2002, 05:58 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Doh, just looked, it's not Pro-E I have, it's MicroStation V8. Hmm

J
Old Feb 05, 2002, 08:35 PM
Scott Black, Montreal
montreal quebec Canada
Joined Sep 1999
1,254 Posts
Haldor generated his 3D wireframe models using the conic lofting routines that I developed in LISP for AutoCAD. There is an article describing the method on the Ezone in the archives. The LISP routines can be downloaded.

I have yet to try to figure out MDT though I have it bundled to ACAD14. One of these days...
sblack is offline Find More Posts by sblack
Old Feb 05, 2002, 09:21 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,392 Posts
Solidworks user here!

Greg

gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Feb 06, 2002, 05:42 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Hi Mark.

I'm using ACAD2000 and having fun with it

Scott mentioned his LISP routines for lofting fuselage x-sections -- they are great! I used these routines on my E-Bandit which you can see off my website - http://home.online.no/~hlonning
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Feb 06, 2002, 03:44 PM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
DOH!

3D just clicked on like a light switch for me. Gutboy helped me 3D the wing pivots, and now I have added to it. Check it out!

James