HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2004, 07:15 AM
high tech redneck
Greenville, SC
Joined Feb 2004
69 Posts
which way does a motor pul

I think I mounted this motor wrong I gave it down and right....isnt it that the motor will natually pull up and right???
crudpuppy is offline Find More Posts by crudpuppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2004, 08:03 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,559 Posts
Mounting with a little down thrust and right thrust is perfectly normal (assuming it's not a pusher). Not all models need either down or right but I don't think I've ever met one that needs left .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 04, 2004, 08:23 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,205 Posts
Under power there will be a tendency for the aircraft to climb - hence the need for ~3 degrees downthrust.

Now to the "right thrust":

Look at your aircraft head on - the prop will be turning counterclockwise won't it. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - thus the aircraft will have a tendency to roll clockwise, as an opposite reaction to the centripetal force exerted by the counterclockwise turning prop. Rolling clockwise will drop the left wing, thus instigating a left turning action - giving the motor ~3 degrees right thrust will balance out this left-turn tendency.

Physics 101 - I hope you can understand this ill-expressed explanation!

Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Sep 04, 2004, 08:42 AM
high tech redneck
Greenville, SC
Joined Feb 2004
69 Posts
Thanks guys. I got it now.
crudpuppy is offline Find More Posts by crudpuppy
Old Sep 04, 2004, 01:21 PM
Georgia
Joined Mar 2002
1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudpuppy
I think I mounted this motor wrong I gave it down and right....isnt it that the motor will natually pull up and right???
A motor only pulls in the direction it's pointed. (With the exception of gyroscopic procession) Other pitch yaw issues are airframe related.

Quote:
Look at your aircraft head on - the prop will be turning counterclockwise won't it. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - thus the aircraft will have a tendency to roll clockwise, as an opposite reaction to the centripetal force exerted by the counterclockwise turning prop. Rolling clockwise will drop the left wing, thus instigating a left turning action - giving the motor ~3 degrees right thrust will balance out this left-turn tendency.
This is dependent on the aircraft, but a right offset is only used to counter slipstream spiral, and P-factor.
If the aircraft is setup with 0 right thrust, and is flying relatively straight adding 3 degrees of right will only cause the aircraft to yaw to the right with power.
At flying speeds the wings provide such a stabilizing force that torque is a minor factor to consider. A slight right aileron trim may be needed though.
I must stress that the type of model makes a huge difference in how you look at offset.
Bill Mixon is offline Find More Posts by Bill Mixon