HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2004, 09:16 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Fanfold Full airfoiled Yak 54....

Hey gang.

I have been experimenting with Pink foam to build Fuses in 3D type airplanes, this directly replaces the shocklfyer style and carbon in the fuse. I have had a few flying quite nicely with pink foam fuses, but my latest it bit the dust a few days ago. I decided to build a second one with a full airfoil and a Foam spar. The result is a very srong and very ligthweight airfraim with absouely no Caron needed for renforcement. The Yak has been in progress for about 3 days now, i should have it flying over the weekend.

Specs:
Wing span: 36
Length: 37.5
Area: 374
Target AUW: 16 oz.

Should be a floater!

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2004, 12:34 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Had her test flight tonight...

I have no idea of the AUW, but it had my old and Faithfull 16/15/8 Mega on a 3S lipo. The prop was a 9x6 GWS HD.

It flew great, Although i had small throws and it was quite nose heavy. Being the impatent type, i had to walk up to a big lit parking lot of the test flight. It flew very smooth with the symetrical wing, and it's KE was almsot hands off! Hovers are DEAD stable, and very easy to control. It sits in one place like it's hanging by a string.

Looks very promising, im gunna move the CG back and incrase the throws, i'll report back with a flight report tommorow if the weather is good....

Thomas
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Sep 04, 2004 at 12:36 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 06:51 AM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Good looking plane Thomas...did you find that it handled better in forward flight better than a plate style wing..?? It's nice to be able to take an idea and have it ready to test in 1 evenings work ..ain't it.. Gotta love FFF and common building materials that can be bought 1 day and flying the next. You keep cranking out those ideas like this and you will soon hit on your perfect plane I bet..good work dude..!

Boss
Old Sep 04, 2004, 11:27 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Thanks Boss!

I found it dose handle better than the flat plane airfoil, but now that i moved the CG back, and it's daylight once again, i guse we'll find out how she dose true 3D compaired to flat wings, i'll keep you posted...

THomas
Old Sep 04, 2004, 12:39 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Woohoo! Had her second test flight today!

Even better haveing moved the CG back about an inch! Super smooth flyer, very stable, dose great 3D airobatics, blenders are TIGHT and VERY fast! Hovering is very stable, rolls and loops are perfect, and it dose nice harriers, although, i think i could move the CG back even more. Waterfalls are nice and pretty tight. Outside lopps are quick and fast as are inside loops. The roll rate is good, although it came as a bit of a supprise, i thought it would be fast and snappy, but insted, it's a very smooth and axal roll, dose about a roll a second, so not bad at all.

I made up some simple templates of you guys want to try one out...

I will get more pictures soon....

Thomas
Old Sep 04, 2004, 11:21 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
A short video clip...

Hovering,a nd a torque roll: http://rcgroups.com/gallery/data/506/4553MOV09798.MPG

UPDATE: shows some more hovering an her nice slow KE flight: http://rcgroups.com/gallery/data/500/4553MOV09799.MPG
Last edited by Thomas Manson; Sep 05, 2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2004, 08:17 AM
Boss248
n/a Posts
Very nice Thomas...looks like a real stable plane in hover...I have used the pink foam for a fuse in the past and it worked well but seemed a little heavy...have you tried the white foam that comes in packages of 5 sheets and is about 5/8" thick and I think 12" x 36 or 48" long??..it is lighter but really needs some carbon strips on both sides from the wing t/e back to tail.
Are you going to do a bipe in the near future..?? you may want to give it a shot..

Boss
Old Sep 05, 2004, 02:30 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
Heres a cool inflight of her hovering at dusk...

Boss: the pink foam is pretty light, and if you think about it, by the time you get any other foam as strong, you'll be at about the same weight. Maybe i could save weight by useing another kind of foam, but for now, im pretty happy with the pink stuff. I am thinking about a bibe, i was working on a Tensorish, but i abandoned the project. I might try a bipe still though....

Thomas
Old May 04, 2008, 08:39 AM
SimplePlanes
Texas
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
wing assembly on FFF Yak54

Thomas or anybody who can answer,

Is the wing one piece cut 16" wide and then folded over the spar? ..Or is it 2 peices?

Thanks,

Patrick
pnslcs is offline Find More Posts by pnslcs