Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2004, 05:44 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Any appliance experts here?

Our Amana natural gas clothes dryer has started to smell. Any time it runs with heat, there is a strong smell like lighter fluid. It's bad enough that the clothes come out smelling like that. If I shut the gas off, the smell goes away.
Does that mean the burner is bad? Does that require a professional, or can a semi-handyman deal with it?

Thanks,
Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Sep 02, 2004, 08:26 PM
AerialCamsByDoug@aol.com
Detroit MI
Joined Jul 2003
550 Posts
Gas dryers (driers?) are pretty simple devices..sorta like a big rock tumbler suspended over the kitchen stove..
If it was me, I'd shut the gas supply off, clean the outlet duct THOUROUGHLY, pull off all the inspection/maintenance covers, and clean everything in sight with a shop vac and a toothbrush. What you're smelling is partially burned natural gas, sorta like a car running too rich.
Bet ya find an orifice on the burner that's clogged and directing it's gas jet away from the flame, or else a ton of lint in the outlet hose causing the exhaust to back up.
ZRX Doug is offline Find More Posts by ZRX Doug
Old Sep 03, 2004, 10:39 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Thanks Doug,
The exhaust is clear.
I will try cleaning the burner. We are drying with no heat right now.

Brian
Old Aug 11, 2007, 03:30 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
I just realize that I never posted what I found out about the odd smell when using the gas clothes dryer.

We had recently painted the basement walls with oil based Kilz. The fumes in the air from the Kilz smell like lighter fluid when burned. A few weeks later the smell was gone.

Use low odor Kilz indoors.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:15 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsup_kz
I just realize that I never posted what I found out about the odd smell when using the gas clothes dryer.

We had recently painted the basement walls with oil based Kilz. The fumes in the air from the Kilz smell like lighter fluid when burned. A few weeks later the smell was gone.

Use low odor Kilz indoors.
Many chemicals combine with gas flames when gassing out and make weird smells-happened to me once with paint.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932