HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2004, 12:38 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Modesto 4th Annual Electric Fun Fly Sunday, October 24

The 4th annual Modesto Radio Control Club Electric Fun Fly will be held on Sunday, October 24. 75% of the time is open flying for any AMA legal electric flier with a special event at the top of each hour. At 9:00 we will have a demo of the Great Planes Wright Flyer (1905 version). 10:00-10:15 is restricted air for only World War I type planes. 11:00-11:15 is restricted air for only World War II type planes. Noon features a new event for this year of GWS Slow Stick combat. 1:00 is the annual limbo event and the raffel (last year 13 planes, a Futaba radio system and much more) is at 2:00 followed by the All Up Last Down with a 1 minute limited motor run.
The event will feature a bar-b-que lunch. Pilot's choice for Best WWI, WWII and other with the pilots winning medals and raffle tickets. The Slow Stick Combat rules allow you to modify the motor and battery of the plane but the flying surfaces must remain those of a GWS Slow Stick. Because of frequency conflicts there may be a need for multiple heats but we hope to avoid that if possible or limit it tto two heats. Each plane gets an eight foot ribbon. the object is to remove the ribbon from other planes and score a kill while protecting your own ribbon. Complete rules will be published later in this thread. Winner will get a air medal and a new in box GWS Slow Stick. The Limbo event is at 1:00 (medal and raffle tickets to winner). We then hold the raffle and the raffle tickets for the All Up Last Down determine the prize or prizes for the winner of that event which follows the raffle. The winner of AULD also gets a medal.
Where: The event is held at the Modesto reservoir a county park on highway 132 about five miles east of the town of Waterford. The runway is hard packed dirt and is 40 feet plus wide and 275 feet long. Bring your own lawn chairs and shade but there will be some shade covers open for spectators and viewing the event. There is a per vehicle charge for park entrance ($3.00 per vehicle for seniors and $8.00 for non seniors.) and pilots have a $10.00 charge to fly and must show their AMA card or join at the event. The pilot entrance fee includes 5 free raffle tickets.
It is planned that a video of the Slow Stick event will be a video article for Ezone if conditions and cameras work properly. CD is Michael Heer with MRCC members running individual aspects of the day.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Sep 09, 2004 at 11:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2004, 12:08 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Limbo Event & All Up Last Down

Limbo event
At the club's monthly meeting last night it was determined that the Limbo event would remain as it has been held the previous three years as a regular limbo. No barbed wire or other objects. Pilots seem to do a good job of damaging planes on their own without additional hazards. There will be a streamer that will be lowered during the contest and those who got under it will advance to the next round with the lower streamer. Winner is the pilot who keeps negotiating the Limbo successfully. Winner gets an air medal and raffle tickets.
All Up Last Down
Any electric can enter but it is first come first assigned frequency. No advance registration of frequency for this event, day of the event only for registration. Mass launching following raffle with time limit for motor run of 1 minute and then all motors off. Last plane down wins the event. Winner gets air medal and any prizes the assigned raffle tickets win in the raffle before the event. (May be nothing by this point or may be a terrific prize or prizes.)

Rules on Slow Stick Combat will be posted after they are received by the CD from the event coordinator.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2004, 06:59 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Lets get the rules to this knife fight straight.

THE AIRCRAFT MUST BE A STOCK GWS SLOW STICK!
Rudder/elevator and throttle controls only allowed!

The only deviations allowed from stock will be as follows:
1) Wing leading and trailing edges! The supplied fiberglass & aluminum tubes must be used. However, they may be held in place with tape other than what is supplied in the kit. You may use tape other then that supplied with the kit to join the wings. Wings may not be shortened.
2) Tail plane you may use glue in place of the double-sided tape.
3) For rudder and elevator hinges you can use tape other then what is supplied.
4) Motor: Any electric motor including brushed or brushless, geared or direct drive, is legal; any combination of prop and battery is permississible.
5) Fuselage must remain stock length.
6) Landing gear must remain on the plane. You may use a brace wire across the main legs.
7) Tail wheel assembly must remain stock.
8) Each pilot will be given an 8 foot streamer with a 3 foot leader. You may attach it to the plane whereever you choose so long as streamer and leader line are at full length.
9) All planes will launch together with streamers attached.
10) If streamer is lost during combat a pilot must land and replace it. If streamer is cut off above the black mark (or first color) the streamer is deemed lost and pilot must land and replace streamer. No kills can be scored by a pilot while he/she is missing their streamer.
11) you may have a back-up plane. All of the foregoing rules apply to the back-up plane. Back-up plane must have the same frequency as the primary model and be equipped with a streamer.

Flight Time

Each round will be 6 minutes! An audible device will sound beginning and ending a round. Each pilot must have a spotter.

Scoring

1) A kill is scored for each time an attacking aircraft cuts a piece of streamer off an opponents aircraft, each seperate piece of streamer constitutes a kill, if the hole streamer comes off intact it is only one kill.
2) In the event of a mid-air the surviving aircraft will get the kill. If both hit the ground the one who hits the ground last will get the kill. If unable to determine who hit the ground last no kill we be recorded to either pilot.
3) The winner of the round will be the pilot with the most kills. should no kills for any pilot be recorded then the most aggressive pilot as determined by the spectators will be awarded the win.
4) If during an attack a pilot crashes or lands for whatever reason the attacking pilot will receive a kill.
5) Depending on the number of entries/frequencies needed, there may be two heats with the top three from each heat going foreward to the final. if only one preliminary heat, top six pilots go foreward to the final.

Final Reminder

This is a fun event that we want everyone to enjoy. Safety is of paramount importance! Pilots must fly in the designated area (far side of the runway and over the field) or be DQed.

The winner will receive the Air Medal for Valor and a new Slow Stick. He/she will be allowed to walk with a special swagger for the rest of the day.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Sep 12, 2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 03:09 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
As promised I am accepting advance reservations for frequencies for the MRCC Slow Stick Combat event at 12:00 noon on the 24th. Please only make a reservation if you are planning on coming to the event and participating in combat. We would like to have as large a heat as possibly, (ie) as many planes in the air as possible at one time. However if frequency conflicts require two seperate heats we will do that but no more then two heats so a maximum of two on any frequency. If you have not arrived and registered at the event by 9:30 on the 24th your advance reservation will be voided an opened to the pilots at the event.
The only way to register in advance is to send me a private message from now through October 4th and then from october 12th onward. (Not available the 5th through the 11th to respond so no reservations then.) Just click on my info to the left and select private message option. No advance payment is necessary. Please only serious responses. Mike
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Sep 30, 2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2004, 12:58 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
So Far we have 18 preregistered for the Slow Stick combat event that will be held at noon on the 24th of October as part of the Fun Fly. No duplicate frequencies so far. Frequencies selected so far are: 13,15,16,17,19,20,25,28,30,34,36,38,43,46,47,50,51 and 56. If we can keep every one on different frequencies we can have one very large flight of Slow Sticks doing combat. If we have duplicates on frequencies the number in the air at one time will be cut in half. No more then two people on a frequencies because we will have a maximum of two seperate heats. Will take requests for one more day and then gone for a week to HobbyVision in Las Vegas. Mike Heer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Oct 04, 2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2004, 02:16 PM
Left Coast
Joined Apr 2002
27 Posts
Sounds like fun, Michael. Brian, me and the ol' Beaver will be there. Brian needs his arm twisted a little to get him to enter the Slow Fly event.

BTW, how 'bout some turkey burgers for those of us who don't eat dead cows?

See ya in Modesto.
Crabjuice is offline Find More Posts by Crabjuice
Old Oct 04, 2004, 03:31 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
I'll bring up the possibility of turkey burgers at the next club meeting in a week, next someone will want vegie burgers. Mike
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Oct 14, 2004 at 12:32 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:38 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Mr. Lin from GWS hopes to make the event.

We continue to get ready for our Fun Fly in a week and a half. The new news is that Mr. Lin and Ray of GWS are going to try and make the event and be there for the 12:00 Slow Stick Combat event. Most of our club is planning on competing in the Slow Stick event so it should be lots of fun. The plan is to try and video tape the combat for a video article for Ezone. We need more cannon fodder because some of the club members are already planning on being bad hosts and winning this event. Bring your plane and make it and you the stars of the video. Good times, good food and a good raffle. Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:26 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts

It is too long of a drive to Modesto. BTW,
The gas Price in CA is driving people insane now.
It is better if the Prize for the KISS (Keep it "SLOW" Stick) event
is A $50 gift certificate at the Chevron gas station.
Much better than the Slowstick box
rcguy01 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy01
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:52 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
I'm sure that who ever wins the Slow Stick will be able to convert it into quick cash to buy some gas if he prefers that over a plane. Gas prices are a pain. It cost me almost $50.00 in gas to drive to Las Vegas and back for the Hobby Visions show. Thankfully I have a Prius.
For those that do come we have some nice prizes in the raffle starting with some brushless Phoenix speed controllers from Castle Creations, a G2 RealFlight flight simulator from Great Planes. We also have the brand new 3D Tiger Moth 350 kit, The Blade 3D kit from Soaring USA, a Shockflyer and a couple more GWS kits and much more including the new 2-cell GWS 1050 Lipoly pack.
In fact guys and gals just stay home and save gas...I already have my raffle tickets.
To the Ezone member formerly known as Blaze! Your welcome to come back again this year from Washington state. I still have my Sptifire... Tacka, tacka, tacka, tacka!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Michael Heer; Oct 15, 2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:57 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer

In fact guys and gals just stay home and save gas...I already have my raffle tickets.
Great idea,
all we need now is enough gas in our cars and enough bread on our tables.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:10 AM
Sonora, Califonia
Joined Jan 2002
445 Posts
Hi Mike,
I plan on bringing a few GWS planes inc. a SS. plus a few other guys from the Sonora R/C Flying Club.
If the wind is down, my Beaver, Tiger Moth and Curtis R3C-2 have floats.
We'll see if theres time to use the lake.
See you there,
John
MISTERSCOTT is offline Find More Posts by MISTERSCOTT
Old Oct 17, 2004, 08:43 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Hi John:
Look forward to seing you and some of the other guys from the Sonora club. I have my fingers crossed for good weather next week. Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2004, 02:18 PM
Go Giants!
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Jun 2002
1,069 Posts
Knock on wood, the weather is looking good, Mike. I checked the weather for the 24th in Modesto, and it is saying 4mph winds, and temps in the 60s. Big difference over last time, if that's what it's going to be!

See you there!

Brian
Flybyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flybyguy
Old Oct 17, 2004, 03:38 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Apr 2003
3,171 Posts
[QUOTE=Michael Heer]
QUOTE]

Why do you suggest that we stay home?
We just have some fun fly at the park near our houses
and save tone of gas... I mean.. tone of money.