HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2001, 09:49 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,444 Posts
Brushless motors, ESC connection

I recently purchased my first brushless motor, a Hacker B20-18L. It has 3 black wires at the back of the motor. My ESC has red, white and black wires. Does it matter which wire goes to which black wire on the motor? I suspect that reversing the black and red wires on the ESC will affect the direction of rotation. How about the white wire? The instructins were pretty non existant.
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2001, 11:35 PM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
Welcome to the E Zone!
If the controller is sensorless just hook them up. If the rotation is backwards, swap any 2.
-fish
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Aug 05, 2001, 06:29 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,444 Posts
Thanks for the answer. I figured that it must be something simple. I've got another one for you: Hacker says don't solder the connectors to any of the black wires (use crimp on). Why is this? Possible wicking up the wire or heat damage to the motor? Thanks.
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Aug 05, 2001, 10:52 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Crimping is as good as solder, IF you have the right tools. A good crimper is $100+
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 05, 2001, 11:00 PM
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2001
39 Posts
..yeah but.. why can't they be soldered?
RedLine is offline Find More Posts by RedLine
Old Sep 16, 2007, 01:55 AM
Rodney
Salt Lake City Utah
Joined Sep 2007
2 Posts
electronics soldering

when soldering electronice things you need to be good at soldering in the first place...then use a HEAT SINK between the solder joint and the device..the heat sink is an aluminum allegator clip made to absorb heat..use a small pointed solder pencil and thin rosin core solder.
If possible make the connection a good mechanical connection ( twist the wires together first ) then a good electrical solder connection... it only needs enough solder to flow and have capillary action suck the solder into the connection
redykilowt is offline Find More Posts by redykilowt
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:03 AM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Just so you know, this thread is 6 years old...
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:34 AM
Old Bold Pilot
Holiday, Fl. USA
Joined Apr 2007
384 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
Just so you know, this thread is 6 years old...
And still good. I've pretty well checked all the threads relating to new Electric R.C.ers and I find you guys are here to help. And so the question: I have a J.R. SX 600 which works good. I'm trying to convert my Hobby-Lobby Decathlon 480 to use it. Can you recommend a good receiver, RSC, and servos which will not be too HEAVY for my little (21.5 oz.) foamy? Thanks,
Stan
Stan Richardson is offline Find More Posts by Stan Richardson
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:45 AM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Richardson
And still good. I've pretty well checked all the threads relating to new Electric R.C.ers and I find you guys are here to help. And so the question: I have a J.R. SX 600 which works good. I'm trying to convert my Hobby-Lobby Decathlon 480 to use it. Can you recommend a good receiver, RSC, and servos which will not be too HEAVY for my little (21.5 oz.) foamy? Thanks,
Stan
Hi Stan,

Here's a list of electronics that will work with your JR Radio:

Receiver - Castle Creations Berg 4 along with one of these crystals (you have to get one that matches your radio... for example, if your radio is on channel 40, you have to get a channel 40 crystal)

RSC - I'm not sure what a RSC is. Do you mean ESC (Electronic Speed Control)?

Servos - Hitec HS-55's will work fine.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:53 AM
Old Bold Pilot
Holiday, Fl. USA
Joined Apr 2007
384 Posts
bad typing

Quote:
Hi Stan,

Here's a list of electronics that will work with your JR Radio:

Receiver - Castle Creations Berg 4 along with one of these crystals (you have to get one that matches your radio... for example, if your radio is on channel 40, you have to get a channel 40 crystal)

RSC - I'm not sure what a RSC is. Do you mean ESC (Electronic Speed Control)?

Servos - Hitec HS-55's will work fine.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I meant ESC.
In the future I'm staying with this thread. (read my blog)
My other plane is a Hangar 9 P-51 P.T.S which I'm staying on the buddy box until I'm profficient. I love it. (and the JR tx.)
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Richardson
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I meant ESC.
In the future I'm staying with this thread. (read my blog)
My other plane is a Hangar 9 P-51 P.T.S which I'm staying on the buddy box until I'm profficient. I love it. (and the JR tx.)
Okay, you will have to upgrade your ESC only if you're going to use a different battery. So, are you going to be using a different battery? Also, are you going to be using a different motor?
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:10 AM
Old Bold Pilot
Holiday, Fl. USA
Joined Apr 2007
384 Posts
upgrade

Quote:
Okay, you will have to upgrade your ESC only if you're going to use a different battery. So, are you going to be using a different battery? Also, are you going to be using a different motor?
Thanks again. You're doing good at showing me what questions to ask. I'm going to stay with the 480 motor 'til I wear it out. It came with 8 cell 9.6 V NI-MH battery, which does a good job (10 min. flights) but the ESC doesn't seem to like my JR. (yes I hooked it up by the Jr locations)
Stan