HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2004, 09:55 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4 Posts
EK Logictrol 6channel/4servo needs a home

This was my second ever radio. In pretty good mechanical shape but has not been run for 10yrs. Moving and hate to throw it away, but will never use again. Hope there's someone out there that would give it a good home and enjoy it.

Please contact me or forward this to anyone you think might be inteterested in having it.

Thanks!
Mike
tmwatson is offline Find More Posts by tmwatson
Last edited by tmwatson; Sep 02, 2004 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Picture upload didn't take
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2004, 10:52 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Hi Mike, and welcome to RCGroups!

I remember those radios from back in the '70s. It was one of the better quality brands if I recall. And 6-channels was quite something for the time.

Normally I would move this post to the Radio forum where it might be more appropriate but I have some concerns before doing so.

First, it seems like you are offering to give it to someone rather than sell it. If you want to sell it, it should go in the Radio classified forum with a price.

However if you are giving it away I don't want to move it to the general Radio discussion forum. Can you tell us which frequency band the unit is on? If it is in the 72MHz band then it is too old to be legal for use as it is not narrow-band. I fear that if it is posted in the Radio section that some newbie will jump at the chance to get it for free and will want to put it to use in a model. Besides being illegal, this could have the bad consequence of interfering with others' radio transmissions potentially causing an accident.

Typically these old radios are only of legitimate interest to collectors who don't plan to use them.

Please respond so I can direct your post appropriately.

-Gerald
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Sep 02, 2004, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4 Posts
DEFINITELY ONLY FOR EXPERIENCED RCers

Gerald,
Thanks for your questions - I'm a newbie to the forum.

The EK is 27MHz. It would be great to find a collector who would value it, and I would be glad to give it to someone who will pay the shipping.

It is probably NOT immediatly functional and MUST HAVE someone who knows their way around radios. At minimum needs NiCds TX & Rx but have original boxes for them. Probably needs tuning of Rx and perhaps TX as well.

Last time I fired it up was probably 10 years ago and as I recall it wiggled OK, but I would not have flown with it then, or now.

Mike
Old Sep 02, 2004, 10:24 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,866 Posts
I would like it. It is on 27 megs for sure?
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Sep 03, 2004, 07:44 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4 Posts
Yes, definitely 27MHz.

There's a faded sticker on top that I think says 27.075. The Rx antenna wire and flag on the LOOOONG Tx antenna are orange.

Anyone interested please send street address and preferred ship method (Suggest UPS ground) and I'll let you know the ship cost.
Old Sep 06, 2004, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4 Posts
EK Logitrol found a new home

Thanks to all who responded and offered a new home for my old set.
It went off today to its new owner.

Mike
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
Frostproof, Florida
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
Frrequencies..

If my radio is of the "illegal" 72. mgh range, how can I change it to a legal range. Seems to me that in this day and age, crystals or chips (frequency type) would be available to upgrade an old but very trustworthy transmitter. It is an EK Logictrol purchased back in the late 1970's - red vinyl cover and at least 4 channels. Thanks!

chandu
Chandu is offline Find More Posts by Chandu
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:43 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
If anyone can take the illegal 72 mhz radio and make it legal again....

www.radiosouthrc.com can
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:19 PM
3d elctric
Joined Jan 2010
155 Posts
hi! would you send it down to mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwatson View Post
Gerald,
Thanks for your questions - I'm a newbie to the forum.

The EK is 27MHz. It would be great to find a collector who would value it, and I would be glad to give it to someone who will pay the shipping.

It is probably NOT immediatly functional and MUST HAVE someone who knows their way around radios. At minimum needs NiCds TX & Rx but have original boxes for them. Probably needs tuning of Rx and perhaps TX as well.

Last time I fired it up was probably 10 years ago and as I recall it wiggled OK, but I would not have flown with it then, or now.

Mike
I`d like to have is as a souvenir,,, I use to have this model wen I first met the rc hobby, that happened 25 ago, thanks. vb.
vicvandame is offline Find More Posts by vicvandame
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:35 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
On those radios noted herein, is there a LRB (Little Red Brick) notation on any of them?

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Jan 30, 2010, 03:29 PM
"Eject,Eject,Eject"
Tyrone , Ny
Joined Jul 2009
67 Posts
What do you mean by Illegal? Do you mean that the AMA doesn't condone use of the 72mh radios at club events or is it that the government has rendered the 72mh band illegal? I have a lot of 72mh radios that I still use. I don't belong to the AMA and I have my own private flying field. I own it and I'll continue to use any frequency I choose.
Old RC Aviator is offline Find More Posts by Old RC Aviator
Old Jan 30, 2010, 05:57 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
947 Posts
Old RC Aviator,

The 72 Mhz band is still in use, but the equipment has to be narrow-band (20 Khz channel separation). The rule has been in effect since 1988. You can read up on it here:

http://www.rchelibase.com/radiofaq/

Old radios like this are illegal to operate, even on private property. It's an FCC regulation.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jan 30, 2010, 06:39 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,275 Posts
You might check with the AMA museum. They have a display of old R/C equipment. Might even be a tax credit in it for you.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:06 PM
"Eject,Eject,Eject"
Tyrone , Ny
Joined Jul 2009
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenspar View Post
Old RC Aviator,

The 72 Mhz band is still in use, but the equipment has to be narrow-band (20 Khz channel separation). The rule has been in effect since 1988. You can read up on it here:

http://www.rchelibase.com/radiofaq/

Old radios like this are illegal to operate, even on private property. It's an FCC regulation.
I see. All mine are narrow-band. I only have one that is the old 72-080 and I don't use it any more. Is that the so called Gold Sticker thing? Never mind I found the answer on the site you gave me. Thanks for the info.
Old RC Aviator is offline Find More Posts by Old RC Aviator
Last edited by Old RC Aviator; Jan 30, 2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old May 16, 2010, 09:31 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,252 Posts
I was thinking of donating my old EK Logictrol 4 channel (with the 2 servo/RX brick) radio to the AMA museum. I stop there frequently and they have examples of many other older now defunct brands (ACE, Kraft, etc), but not one red EK box. I think they had the radio display under renovation recently - they were not on display a few months ago, so maybe they will have one.

anyways, I decided to keep it and my plan is to remove the old 72 MHz boards inside and use the guts of a Spektrum DX5e to make it a retro styled 2.4 GHz RX, keeping as much of the case exterior in original condition as possible (not sure yet if I'll leave the old telescoping antenna on for display, and where to mount the 2.4 antenna if it stays).

I have a separate post on this, and I will update it as I go along. First I need to get a DX5 - cheap on ebay I hope.

I like the looks of these old radios - very simple, maybe its the austerity of the case, without all the "Cylon" trim of the new ones that for the most part don't add anything to function. what more do you need for park flying? I don't look at the LED display on my DX6e when I fly.
jonquinn is online now Find More Posts by jonquinn