HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2004, 08:58 AM
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2002
280 Posts
How do you like your Triton charger? any problems?

I am wanting to become Lithium capable , and am considering selling my Supernova and buying a Triton. Is there anything I should be aware of about the Triton? problems or use peculiarities? Are there any chargers that would be a better option, yet not too expensive? Thanks for any help.
1g1yy is offline Find More Posts by 1g1yy
Last edited by 1g1yy; Sep 02, 2004 at 09:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2004, 09:08 AM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,494 Posts
As a lithium charger it is incredibly conservative, so expect long charge times. Other than, that it's great.
adamg is offline Find More Posts by adamg
Old Sep 02, 2004, 09:39 AM
USA, MA, Framingham
Joined Feb 2003
153 Posts
I love mine works great.
Mad Scientist is offline Find More Posts by Mad Scientist
Old Sep 02, 2004, 09:48 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,070 Posts
Use an Astro 109 for my Lithium batteries. Use my Triton for NiMh charging. No complaints ...... Kids have also been using the Triton to charge thier large NiCd and NiMh R/C car batteries this summer ... No problems encountered. Good charger so far.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Sep 02, 2004, 10:10 AM
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Feb 2001
415 Posts
I would probably prefer the Astro if were using Lipo only. Mine has been good except for the following;

The Triton won't charge Lipo's at more than 2.5A; and it fools around for several minutes at the beginning of a charge before it goes to full current.
Bob Baker is offline Find More Posts by Bob Baker
Old Sep 02, 2004, 12:12 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
My biggest gripe with the Triton is the complexity of the user interface. It is a very capable charger, but not very intuitive to use, so I find myself refering to the manual regularly. In contrast, the Dymond Super Turbo is very easy to use, but doesn't do LiPo. So I have an Astro 109 for charging LiPo. From what I have heard the Astro does do a better job on LiPo charging than the Triton. However, if you just want to have one charger for all battery types the Triton is a good solution. Orbit and Schulze are better chargers for doing LiPo plus NiMH/NiCad, but twice the price.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Sep 02, 2004, 01:09 PM
Really Ugly Stick!!
Raleigh/Durham Intl, North Carolina, United States
Joined Jun 2003
220 Posts
lipo charge times on the triton should be right at 1 hour if you're charging a nearly drained pack @ 1C. if it's taking longer (>+30min), your charge leads are probably suspect. i've had 0 problems with my triton and i've had it for almost a year. it works perfectly.
Really Ugly Sti is offline Find More Posts by Really Ugly Sti
Old Sep 02, 2004, 01:14 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2002
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Thumbs
My biggest gripe with the Triton is the complexity of the user interface. It is a very capable charger, but not very intuitive to use, so I find myself refering to the manual regularly. In contrast, the Dymond Super Turbo is very easy to use, but doesn't do LiPo. So I have an Astro 109 for charging LiPo. From what I have heard the Astro does do a better job on LiPo charging than the Triton. However, if you just want to have one charger for all battery types the Triton is a good solution. Orbit and Schulze are better chargers for doing LiPo plus NiMH/NiCad, but twice the price.
Wow, I hate to hear that! That is what I hate about the Supernova.
1g1yy is offline Find More Posts by 1g1yy
Old Sep 02, 2004, 01:19 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,784 Posts
I'm extremely happy with the orbit.
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Sep 03, 2004, 10:54 AM
Belleville, IL
Joined Mar 2004
137 Posts
Yes I agree, the user interface is real bad. You will have to learn to use the thing, and refer back to the manual for things you do not use. It is a shame, but hardware is great, but I would rate the user interface a 3 on a a scale of 1-10.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a way to update the software with out sending it back , so I don't think you will see an upgrade. I was looking at the new hobbico elite, but its user interface does not look much better. Don't get me wrong, the charger is usable, and I like it for the most part, but there is a learning curve. I wish the engineers would have looked at something like the Apple ipod's user interface to see how it should have been done. The hardware and switches that are there would be enough go come up with a great system, if someone would have taken the time on the user interface during the design.

Dale
dwentz is offline Find More Posts by dwentz
Old Sep 03, 2004, 11:24 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
I don't have a problem with the Triton user interface.
I bought an Astro because it will charge larger lithiums than the Triton.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Sep 03, 2004, 04:10 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I've had my triton for a long time and can tell you the memory feature really reduces the amount of programming you have to do unless you just have gobs of different packs. It lets you set 10 custom programs and just use the rolling wheel to select between them. Then another handy feature is the fast toggle between charge, discharge/charge, etc.

OVerall a great value and I use mine for field battery, nicads, nimh and li-poly. Sure it would be handy if it charged and discharged at a higher rate but for the money it does alot. Got mine charging up some packs for this evening as we speak
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Sep 03, 2004, 05:19 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
I think UI issues people are speaking of is the apparent randomness of the menu items. Like having some things in a global menu and others in the memory menu. Like battery capacity in the memory menu appears to be informational only, then max input current (or capacity), which is most certianly related to an individual batter is in the global menu. Same with safety timer - surely the safety timer setting you use will vary from pack to pack? There are a number of things like that. It really just appears that it was thrown together at the last minute by an engineer. I write sotware for a living and I will be the first to stand up and say that I should *not* be allowed to design a UI. Engineers who know what the guts of a system looks like often come up with things that make perfect sense to them but are baffling to a user, and I think this might be the case with the Triton.
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Sep 07, 2004, 09:47 AM
Belleville, IL
Joined Mar 2004
137 Posts
Yes, there are lots of little things like this that make it not user friendly. The max current, time, temp are one of my main complaints. The other main complaint that I have is the buttons you need to push are not the same depending on what you are doing. For example when cycling a battery if you hit the wrong button it will terminate the cycle. There is no logic to the sequence. The other thing that I really hate is during the cycle or just a charge for that mater, if you interrupt it, you loose all the details of the charge, like the mAh and temp etc. I wish it would keep it for the last cycle/charge. I guess I will have to live with it as I have not found anything better to date! I understand the new Hobbico has similar UI problems.

Dale
dwentz is offline Find More Posts by dwentz
Old Sep 07, 2004, 09:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,295 Posts
My biggest complaint is that it changes all batteries except LiPo at 5a Ė Lipoís are limited to 2.5a?

The charger is capable of 5a so I donít see why they have this software limit. I wonder if the software can be upgraded to get the fill 5 amps?

Does anyone know if GP is working on this problem?

RC
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man