HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2004, 01:50 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Red-tailed Hawk trying to mate with my microSpeedwing

I was doing my second beta testing flight of the new micro-Speedwing from Speedwing.net when it was attacked by a red-tailed hawk. I have since done some research and the "dance" that the hawk did with my wing is a mating dance. The underside profile of my wing has a similar shape and look as a red-tailed hawk does, especially with the spinning orange prop. I had pulled into a dive from about 400 feet and after about a second heard a really loud thwap and squaking noises. I cut throttle to not hurt the bird (my luck some PETA person would prosecute me if I hadn't) and the hawk went to town.

The motor and prop were never recovered as was the last 1/3 of the wing. I saw it fall about an 8th of a mile from where the wing was struck (bird got tired of carrying it I suppose). All the electronics were pulled free (bird guts) from the wing and toppled in high grass about 4 feet from where I was standing. The wing fluttered down about 100 yards from where I was standing.

Not the first time that one of these hawks have shown interest in my planes. Seagulls used to routinely go after my white Tiger Moth.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2004, 01:52 AM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Oh, and the black strips you see... That is CF tow that has been brushed with thin CA. Very strong stuff. It still kind of scares me when I see how clean the cut is from the talons. I don't think the bird expected such a soft prey.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Sep 02, 2004, 02:27 PM
Beginners Chat Sun 7to9
Longview
Joined Jan 2004
514 Posts
LOL Im sorry to hear the hawk ruined your plane, but all the while Im laughing my butt off. Since the bird it self doesnt have any natural predators, dont guess theres anything ya can put on the next plane to ward them off, or just wait till mating season is over and then fly LOL.
MC
marshallcowboy is offline Find More Posts by marshallcowboy
Old Sep 02, 2004, 03:09 PM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
280 Posts
Aww poor bird, he was probably rather disappointed.
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Sep 02, 2004, 09:16 PM
Noob!
Norristown, PA
Joined Aug 2004
272 Posts
Jared,
Yes, I know it's illegal, and against AMA policies, but you think a scale Sparrow would get the Hawk? And I ain't talking another bird here, either! Maybe a scale Sidewinder, and I ain't talkin' a snake, neither!

Gary
GaryMC1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryMC1
Old Sep 03, 2004, 04:39 PM
NY, NY
Joined Jul 2004
514 Posts
That's hysterical!!!!!
Sorry about the wing, but the story is more than worth the replacement.
Didn't somebody post something here once about some genius who managed to hook up some sort of bottle rocket launcher to his roo or something?
I remember seeing a picture or video once.
Tomcat Fan is offline Find More Posts by Tomcat Fan