HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2004, 03:03 PM
Joined Aug 2004
6 Posts
You guys have to help me out I know nothing about getting a plane

Well this my first time on the site and Im pretty new to RC airplanes.

But I need some help picking out my first electric. Ok my price range is around $100 so pretty small. I want it RTF kit. The style of the plane doesnt matter that much. I want it to be some what strong and fast.
Sgwyldechild12 is offline Find More Posts by Sgwyldechild12
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2004, 03:09 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,478 Posts
well hate to be mean but for a 100 dollors you arent going to get fast of strong
Save up and read the form and you will learn lots of things.
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Aug 31, 2004, 03:21 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
If you can afford a little more, there are some good choices around the $150 price point. Search on here for 'slo-v', 't-hawk', 'aerobird', or 'sky scooter pro 2'. That should be enough choices to get you started. Be sure to check the beginner's training area. Knowledge abounds here. Another thing--seek local help if at all possible; your chance at success will be exponentially increased.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Aug 31, 2004, 04:27 PM
Altitude is your friend.
North Carolina
Joined May 2004
70 Posts
Sticking to your requirements of a RTF within a hundred dollar budget, you might consider the Hobbyzone Firebird II ST which goes for $84.99 complete with radio gear, one battery, and a battery charger.

It's just a 2 channel and the electronics can't be later used in another plane. But, if $100 is your limit, it will get you in the air. They are stocked by many local hobby stores, or you can order one from Horizon Hobby.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=HBZ5500

Everyone will rightly suggest better airplanes and more elaborate radio gear, but that would definitely cost more than $100 for a complete outfit.

Good luck.
Go-n-up is offline Find More Posts by Go-n-up
Old Aug 31, 2004, 04:34 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,791 Posts
This would be under 100.

But this one for 108 would be better in my opinion.

Didn't see the fast part, but you really don't want to start there. I couldn't find anything fast in that price range.

Good Luck,
LcJ
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Aug 31, 2004, 04:45 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
LCJ
unless I'm reading it wrong those kits don't come with a TX or charger at that price. Around 200 is bare minimum for a SS setup.

The Aerobird or Slo-V would be the closest and for speed I'd say Aerobird. It is a little high but is an excellent beginner plane and it goes fast. http://www.hobby-warehouse.com/hozoaech3chr.html
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Aug 31, 2004, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2004
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
This would be under 100.

But this one for 108 would be better in my opinion.

Didn't see the fast part, but you really don't want to start there. I couldn't find anything fast in that price range.

Good Luck,
LcJ
The first one looks good, is it? I dont want it to be a peace of crap with now power.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:04 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,791 Posts
Lakedude, you be da man. Thanks for catching that.

They do not include a transmitter. That is another 50.00. But after reading your post again, I do not think you will like any of these.

You might want to try the Sky Scooter Pro II. I think I saw them somewhere for about 129.00 with everything. You can crash those till your hearts content. They are fast and flyable. You can find it here and it has everything including charger.

Here is another place you can check.

They fly and you will experience the thrill.

LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:11 PM
Joined Aug 2004
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
Lakedude, you be da man. Thanks for catching that.

They do not include a transmitter. That is another 50.00. But after reading your post again, I do not think you will like any of these.

You might want to try the Sky Scooter Pro II. I think I saw them somewhere for about 129.00 with everything. You can crash those till your hearts content. They are fast and flyable. You can find it here and it has everything including charger.

Here is another place you can check.

They fly and you will experience the thrill.

LcJ
Looks more like a toy.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:17 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Joined Mar 2003
5,791 Posts
They are all toys. Just different looking ones.

I have plugged the SS Pro II at speed and all it did was get dirty. I ran it into a chain length fence. Broke the prop (which you get a spare) and broke the nose off (glued it back on) and flew it again within 20 minutes. It will handle the wind well, is fast and will do loops, rolls, and inverted flight. It is fast and stable. It looks like a toy, but flies like a plane. It is close to your price range and includes everything including charger.

Have fun looking.

LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:18 PM
Joined Aug 2004
6 Posts
what about something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...917198428&rd=1 Im sure its not the best but Could i put a new motor in it? Whay type of motor would it be? Is it really up gradeable?
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:29 PM
Joined Aug 2004
6 Posts
I also found this any thoughts ?

http://www.hobby-warehouse.com/c47skw.html
Old Aug 31, 2004, 09:39 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Based on your requirements, I think the sky scooter pro II just may be the best one for you. The first plane you posted (from e-bay) is a sketchy proposition-from overseas, it may be on a frequency that's not not legal in the US, where I'm assuming you are. I really would recommend dealing with a dedicated hobby supplier for your first purchase. The second plane is $86.99 just for the plane. You will also need batteries, servos, a receiver, a charger, an ESC, and a transmitter. Well over your budget. I know the sky scooter looks like a toy in the pictures, but those are just decals. You don't have to put them one. I have seen several sky scooters painted up to look like a Navy A-7 Corsair II, and it's pretty convincing. So, if the looks are what turns you off of that plane, remember it's easy to change that.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Aug 31, 2004, 09:45 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
I will support the first reply. Under $100, I would suggest you save your pennies till you can afford a three channel plane.

Make it a high wing Throttle/rudder/elevator plane.

High wing because that helps make it stable. Rudder/elevator becase I feel they are easier for a self trainier to fly than an aileron/elevator plane.

Pursher planes will reduce the damage to motor/prop and you are less likely to get hurt or to hurt someone if you hit them since the prop is not in the front.

having said all that:

Aerobird $125-$150
T-Hawk $150
Easy Star $190
Slow-V $140

Aerobird and T-Hawk are teh faster of the group which means they need more room. No more than 5 MPH wind when you are training. Once you climb to altitude, you can fly these at half throttle. They glide VERY nicely. Both are rugged.

T-Hawk comes with spare parts and two batteries, but a house charger. Aerobird comes with peak charger but no spare parts.

Add the Aerobird charger to the T-Hawk for $19 And you have and you have a nice package with two wings two tails, two batteries and two chargers. Good deal! Both are very rugged.

Easy star is sort of half parkflyer/half glider - medium speed and stable - Made of foam. Fairly tollerant to hard landings. Easy to fix.

Slow-V is nice and slow, easy to fly but will tollerate not more than 5 MPH wind and that is after you have some time with it. Slow is good for beginners, but you must train in almost calm conditions!!

All are good choices.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:49 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Slow is good for beginners, but you must train in almost calm conditions!!
It's kinda like writing your learners permit for driving, and then trying to step into Michael Schumakers car (Formula 1 racer). Maybe 0.001% of the population CAN do it, but you're probably like me, and will be in the *other* 99.999%........

Something to think about...

WHat these guys have suggested are good planes. If you don't want it to "look like a toy", you will have to put in some time and effort on your plane. You will also want to be fairly sure of yourself on the sticks, because nothing sucks more than stuffing an expensive bird into the ground (right, guys? )

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx