HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:34 PM
Mountaintop, Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
Any other Civil War buffs out there?

Hi, I was just wondering if there were any other Civil War buffs on the forums. I enjoy studying the famous battles, commanders, and units from that time. I just wanted to see how many others are like me. Thanks.

Wayne
C172 is offline Find More Posts by C172
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:50 PM
(AKA) Boomerwankanobi
dark matter
Joined Jun 2003
2,403 Posts
Talk with Allan Wright Of Wright Brothers R/C in the Handlaunch forum.
He is big into that stuff.

Stocker
Stocker is offline Find More Posts by Stocker
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:53 PM
Believer...
Bean Town 0 years since last World Series Win!!!!!
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
Yeah, right here. I got interested when taking a decisive battles of the civil war class back in highschool years ago. At the same time I was taking the class I came into possession of my Great-great-great grandfather's things from the civil war. He was an assistant surgeon in the Navy from Massachusetts. I have his field kit he carried with him (about 15 different pieces from knives to hooks to cauderizers etc) as well as two of his journals that he kept while on a frigate off of Galviston Texas. It's all very cool. If I ever catch the Civil War series on the History channel I'll stay glued until it's done. I also have the account books for one of his sons as he lived in Boston's Beacon Hill just after the Civil war. I have entries of him buying things like soda, a carriage ride out to J.P. (Jamaica Plain here in Boston), singing lessons, and Victor Hugo's Les Miserables all very cool. If there is interest I could try and scanning some of the more interesting parts of the medical journal. Later.

RG
research_guy is offline Find More Posts by research_guy
Old Aug 30, 2004, 03:14 PM
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
Hi, thanks for the replies.

That's really neat that you've got your great-great-great-grandfather's medical tools. I imagine it's a gold mine to own something like that. I have a musket ball that is about a quarter inch in diameter. I doubt if it's from the Civil War, but it's probably from the American Revolution. I think it's a piece of buckshot, as I've read somewhere that the Americans loved to use buckshot in the Revolution. I found it in Virginia. That's the only historical relic I have. Did your Grandfather do any surgery at any major battles? I would be interested in reading those parts of his journal you mentioned if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

My favorite battle to study is Gettysburg. I have a couple of favorite commanders- Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson and Joshua Chamberlain. My favorite thing about General Jackson is his character. He was a devout Christian and someone to be admired. I also am impressed by his military aggressiveness, which is why I think he was a victor in so many battles. I like Joshua Chamberlain because of how he was a college professor at Bowdoin College and started as a Lieutenant Colonel and worked his way up to a Breveted Major General. A very good book to read is "Gettysburg: A Testing Of Courage" by Noah Andre Trudeau. It's the best book I've read about Gettysburg.

Thanks again for the response.

Wayne
Old Aug 30, 2004, 07:51 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Wayne, I ride with the 7th Tennessee Cavelry Co. D a civil war reenacting group. We were one of Forrests units throughout most of the war. We also do a 7th Tenness Cav Co D US impression which fought against the 7th CSA here in West Tennessee. A couple of excellent books is CO AYTCH by Sam Watkins and Bell Irwin Wiley and Hardtack and Coffee is another great book. Both are really into the day to day lives of the individual soldier. I've got over 200 books in my collection ranging from battles to diaries.

Here's our web site which is out dated:

http://pages.prodigy.net/rebel7tn/
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Aug 30, 2004, 07:57 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
Hey, I lived in parts of the South where that war ain't over.....
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Aug 30, 2004, 09:00 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,786 Posts
Would you be talking about the War of Northern Aggression?

LcJ
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:41 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Tim, are you implying there are parts of the south where the war is over?

Don, would that be Bedford Forrest? I think he was from Georgia, no? They had a street here in Atlanta called Forrest Ave. About 20 years ago they changed the name because of his forming the KKK, but it seems I have read that he abandoned it when it became the type of outlaw group it became.

My great great great Grandfather was supposedly the Governor of Ga. during the civil war. Joseph E. Brown I have read a little about him, and not too proud of the fact, if it is so.

Thanks for the book references. I read the trilogy by Michael and Jeff Shaara and am now reading Jeff's "Gone for Soldiers" which is about the Mexican wars and centers on Robert E. Lee, and how a lot of the officers in the Civil War fought side by side there. Of course these are fiction. Read a non-fiction book, which is called "Founding Brothers" by Joseph J. Ellis, and it talks of the politics of 1780-1812, presents a picture of why the Civil war was sort of inevitable, although this is not the main subject of the book, as Virginia politics is, the slavery question is a by product.

If you get to Atlanta, there is a whole lot to see, the Cyclorama, a huge round painting of the Battle of Atlanta, and Kennesaw Mtn. and the Atlanta Historical Society has tons of Civil war stuff. Of course we don't have any buildings to speak of that survived Sherman. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:41 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Jonas
Hey, I lived in parts of the South where that war ain't over.....

We've done events in places like that as Yankees, interesting to say the least.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2003
71 Posts
I also enjoyed the Shaara's Civil War Trilogy. I think the books are better than the movies based on them. They seem to leave out some parts of the book in the movies. I think Nathan Bedford Forrest was from Tennesee. He was a millionaire and he funded a regiment of cavalry during the Civil War.

A couple of good websites are: www.civil-war.net and www.civilwarhome.com

The first one has links to a bunch of different battle information pages, some battle reports, pictures, and a message board. The second has information about a lot of the battles and some other information.

I'll have to take a look at those other books that were mentioned.

Thanks for the replies.

Wayne
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:11 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Yep, seems Forrest was a hero for his fighting here in Georgia.

I read a book by James L. Nelson titled "Glory in the Name" the first of a trilogy about the naval battles of the Civil War, but it is a sweeping novel and much takes place on the battlefield as well. The second book about the Monitor and Merrimack called "Reign of Iron", which is just out. The first book is great! Haven't read the second yet. His other series are very good as well. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Sep 01, 2004, 07:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Not a buff, but I've been to Gettysburg, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, and ridden my mountainbike over the entire Chesapeake & Ohio Canal in Maryland where the Confederates crossed over the Potomac several times on raids up north.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Sep 01, 2004, 08:45 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
If you get a chance, visit Shilo park here in West TN. It's in a rural area and quite pristine. The NPS invites us to do a yearly living history on the weekend closest to the battle every year in April. The National Park Service requires the reenactors to have high quality impressions with high standards of authenticity.