SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2002, 09:38 PM
Seattle WA
Joined Jan 2002
207 Posts
crash picture!!!

Well i have certainly learned my lesson about flying at dusk
I let it go too far and lost orientation I was really lucky to have a stranger helping me out and found it for me.
How should I go about fixing the nose? Balsa or foam? It's going to be sharper than the blunt nose it once had, that's for sure.

only damage was to the nose, not bad heh?
Mig17 is offline Find More Posts by Mig17
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2002, 09:52 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
ouch
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Feb 03, 2002, 11:51 PM
stonington , conn....usa
Joined Sep 2001
175 Posts
crash

with that paint job ..you were flying at dusk?....tree line too I suppose......youre brave........
Brucejay34 is offline Find More Posts by Brucejay34
Old Feb 04, 2002, 12:02 AM
Seattle WA
Joined Jan 2002
207 Posts
more like foolish

he he...not brave, just a fool on the ground
Old Feb 04, 2002, 02:06 AM
E-flight nut
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2001
93 Posts
I know it sounds insane, but I would use all the pieces and Probond, and build it back together! It looks like there's not much left from the pic, but what's there could be formed back into shape, held with a splint and tape, and saturated with probond. If you use chunks of white/pink foam as filler chunks, and slowly build it back together, it will be stronger than it was before (so they say). It really is miracle glue. Strong, flexible, and light. The only drawback is that it takes about 12 hours before it's got any stiffness, and 24 hours to harden.
It might not be pretty, but I'll bet it'll be easier than rebuilding out of foam or balsa. My nose is always getting bumped, see?
the#1 is offline Find More Posts by the#1
Old Feb 04, 2002, 02:13 AM
Seattle WA
Joined Jan 2002
207 Posts
ha ha

Ha ha...that is the best looking schnoze I've ever seen Reuben
I was thinking of taking a large chunk of foam, carve and shape it, slice it in halves to hollow out the inside, then glue the whole thing on. I don't think gluing the deformed pieces of foam will work, not this one
The Aveox1010DF is a pretty good motor, it is faster, and I can pull loops from level flight. I'm flying it with 8cells CP1700, used to be around 3 minutes with the stock motor, now up to 5+ minutes, whoo hoo..
Old Feb 04, 2002, 06:26 AM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,643 Posts
You could Fix it like I did with my KY F-16.

http://216.40.226.212/~admin2/forums...threadid=25859
SJ is online now Find More Posts by SJ
Old Feb 04, 2002, 12:27 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,508 Posts
I cut the damage front end off, made a new nose from pink foam. While I was at it I added a larger air inlet.

Never looked the same, flew just fine.

TOWER was selling fuse 'kits' for $40.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Feb 04, 2002, 05:42 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Yeah, cut it off and carve up some foam, hollowing it out helps to actualy make it a bit stronger if you dont go to thin. A bit of strapping tape to beef it up and your back in action.

I kinda like flying at dusk, this time of year its the best time of day as far as the wind goes. There is no sun glare to get lost in and most planes stand out pretty good against the colors of the dusk sky. I want to hit radio shack up for some super bright LEDs to see what it looks like as it gets darker .
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Feb 04, 2002, 05:55 PM
St Paul, Mn
Joined Apr 2001
365 Posts
Try the probond thing, and if it really looks crappy, cover it with very light paper and white glue. Do a search for "how to cover white foam" thread. This works like a charm...

Chris
bozmonster is offline Find More Posts by bozmonster
Old Feb 04, 2002, 09:05 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Those T-33 noses look kinda like a Northern Pike...

Here was mine after some surgery. Epoxy & Great Stuff foam, then sanded.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Feb 05, 2002, 12:38 AM
E-flight nut
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2001
93 Posts
Hahahaha!

Maybe we should start a separate thread where everyone can post there nose bonk pics

This one wasn't built by me, but you can sure tell that the covering and decals held it together!
the#1 is offline Find More Posts by the#1
Old Feb 05, 2002, 02:07 AM
Seattle WA
Joined Jan 2002
207 Posts
he he

that is just too funny!! The T33 is still waiting for repair, cant get to it yet since i have 2 exams this week and meanwhile i suddenly have to itch to let loose my electric Cummulus
Common you gotto fight it boyo, at least til thursday...
Old Feb 05, 2002, 03:14 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
I've had this T-33 for about 4 years now. Never even scratched until the other day. The battery came lose
and moved back all the way on launch, well you know the rest. The plane survived rather well. It knocked the
wing clean off but there was no damage to the wing, just the mounts. Then there was my beautiful never
dented nose, not. It was a mess, but a little foam and little sanding and more silkspan and she's as good as
new. You can build that entire nose back together I'm here to tell you.
Steve Neill
Old Feb 05, 2002, 03:15 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Here's what the nose looks like close up, everything looks good from a distance.