HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2004, 04:33 PM
Kristianstad, Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
23 Posts
Hitec Eclipse 7 or Optic 6 ????

I am dithering about what to buy, an Eclipse 7 or the new Optic 6.

The 7th channel provides some extra latitude for a "4wing" servo installation an several other too I suppose.

On the other hand it lacks the fails safe functionality of the Optic 6, or am I lost in the mist here?

Sussex Model Center in UK (I am in Europe) offers a very sweet deal on the Eclpse 7, 169 GBP for a set including QPCM receiver 4 servos. Does anybody from UK know of a catch?

Nils
joje is offline Find More Posts by joje
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:14 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Just a question. If it's QPCM why would it lack the failsafe? That's the same QPCM as the Optic.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 30, 2004, 04:03 PM
Kristianstad, Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
Just a question. If it's QPCM why would it lack the failsafe? That's the same QPCM as the Optic.
Silly me, I am new into this so I am leaarning by reading, asking and trying to put it together. I wasn't sure that QOCM automatically provided the fail safe functionallity. There is no mentioning of how to take advantage of it in the Eclipse 7 manual.

Will that mean that in case of signal failure all servos go to neutral? What about throttel (if it is a glider with crow mixing...)

Joje
Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:53 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
Usually it means when you lose signal all the servos go to some preset position. Which just means that instead of losing control and crashing, it will usually go to neutral and fly a slightly farther away distance and crash.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:37 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
If you are new to radios, and particularly computer radios, this article may be informative:

http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=65

The Optic is new and has some nice features, but doesn't really have the abiltiy to handle a 4 servo wing. The Eclipse has some 4 servo features, but is not great. If it is power planes it may be fine but if it is sailplanes, the Eclipse is limited compared to other radios, but it does OK for the price

If you are looking at a 4 servo wing application, you will need to step up to something like the Futaba 9C, the Airtronics 8103 (I think that is right) or the Multiplex Royal Evos. If you are into sailplanes, add the airtronics Stylus to you list of radios to check out.

I fly electrics and full hosue sailplanes and just bought the Futaba 9C. Great bang for the buck.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 02, 2004, 03:54 PM
Kristianstad, Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
23 Posts
Thanks for all good advise!!!
I guess bottom line is that you get what you pay for, hence one has to understand what one's need is. My Spirit 100 reaaly is a 2 wing configuration so I do not need need all the functionality for a 4-wing set up.

However, I did already buy some Hitec micro servos and no I am worried that these wont fit a Futaba or JR receiver. Could anybody tell me if I have a compatability problem at hand.

After reading the article and doign some more reading I am leaning towards a Futaba 7C as a compromise between cost and need. Alternatively would be a JR X378. Does anybody have additional advise on these radios?

Joje
Old Sep 02, 2004, 04:45 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Don't know the JR. The JR 6102 seems like a good competior to the Optic 6, so you might give it a look.

Most new receivers will accept the Universal connectors on servos. If you have futaba connectors on the hitec servos, you just shave off the little tab that Futaba uses to allign the plug. No problem with that. Done every day.

As stated in the article, don't buy a package with servos and receivers that you can't use. If you don't see a package with components that match your needs, just buy the radio alone. www.servocity.com has the Futaba 7C alone.

If you had planned on spending $250 on the 7C and don't need or can't use the included receiver and servos, add a few dollars and get the 9C and have all you are ever likely to need.
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 02, 2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 03:32 PM
Kristianstad, Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
If you had planned on spending $250 on the 7C and don't need or can't use the included receiver and servos, add a few dollars and get the 9C and have all you are ever likely to need.
I understand your point, much bang for the buck!!!

Joje
Old Sep 04, 2004, 05:42 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joje
I understand your point, much bang for the buck!!!

Joje
I just went through a decision process on a new TX myself. I had one positive shift RX and other an auto shift select, so was looking mainly at JR and Airtronics which are positive shift TXs (I guess you don't have that "shift" issue to deal with where you are). I found that both JR and Airtronics TX lacked a simple integral flight timer in any of their mid-range computer TXs... unforgiveable in my view, so I quickly ruled them out.

Since I only have one inexpensive positive shift RX, I decided to switch and zeroed in on the Hitec Optic 6 vs Futaba 7C as having the features I desired at a reasonable cost. At first the Hitec was my choice, but they aren't widely available yet, plus it seems that even the "bare bones" ones advertised come with the Spectra (multi-frequency) module, which is a feature I just don't need (my RXs are all on same channel). This module also consumes a lot of battery power (about 180 mah as I recall) to shorten TX time between charges. You can get separate fixed frequency modules, though, but availablity pushed me towards the 7C.

I looked then at the Eclipse 7 as a more equal alternative to the 7C. It is about $30-40 more here for a "bare bones" model. In reading the manuals, there's not much to favor one over the other as I saw, until I found the 7C's flight timer can be mixed to switched on and off with the throttle stick, and I FREQUENTLY forget to switch mine on . The timer can also be programmed to turn on/off at a specified throttle setting to give more accurate motor run time estimates if you use a lot of throttle management. This was all I needed to make the 7C my choice! I very minor feature, I know. But for me, all other things being pretty equal, this small "frill" was the selling point, along with the lower price.

There are a couple online stores here (servocity.com and allerc.com) that are selling the bare bones 7C for $149 with free shipping in the US, plus allerc has an added $5 discount promotion going on right now for new customers.

I think any of these TXs will serve you well, and initial cost difference (within a given feature range) is minimal over time. Things like ease of programing and even a simple stick-toggled timer can make all the difference to individual users.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Sep 04, 2004, 06:31 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
The optic 6 is definately available with single channel packages. It also does shift select which will fly your positive shift receiver.

Just clarifying these points. I like the 7C better myself, but no opportunity to change channle and no shift select.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
The optic 6 is definately available with single channel packages. It also does shift select which will fly your positive shift receiver.

Just clarifying these points. I like the 7C better myself, but no opportunity to change channle and no shift select.
Yep, I was aware of that, and that was what drew me to the Optic. But the unavailability and channel switching ability (adding more cost, power consumption, etc., which I don't need), drove me to look elsewhere. I don't even need 6 channels right now, let alone seven, but the price and features of the 7C swayed me over.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:50 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Hey Tom, My sister lives in Sammamish!!! I recently bought the 7C and have been very happy so far with the radio. Very easy to program and seems to be full of features.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Sep 04, 2004, 10:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
Hey Tom, My sister lives in Sammamish!!! I recently bought the 7C and have been very happy so far with the radio. Very easy to program and seems to be full of features.

Jim
Wow, Sammamish isn't that big! If BrunswickOH means Ohio, I grew up there (near Columbus), but not sure where Brunswick is... will be back in NW central Ohio at the end of the month, in fact.

I'm looking forward to the 7C. Just maidened my Formosa today, and got it down in one piece, but boy do I need dual rate/exo controls (still using a GWS entry level TX). Even with throws set to about half what GWS recommends as a MINIMUM, I was fighting an airborne porpoise. I was flying nose heavy, intentionally, but still within the GWS suggested range. I accidentally trimed the elevator trim to full negative instead of positive trying to compensate for the nose heavy condition, and didn't discover my stupid mistake until I "landed" (not pretty, but in one piece with barely a scratch). Luckily my GWS TX trim switches only dial in about 2 degs of trim movement. I thought my (developing) piloting skills were much worse than I thought until I discovered my mistake... Then I patted myself on the back!