SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2004, 09:17 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
OOOOOOOooooooooooooooo Gerry..... Where are you??? You are supposed to build the two mid-sections and START COVERING! TONIGHT!

Any word on the Cowling ? They charged you, you better get!

Carlos
-----------------------------------
p.s.. I will be at EDWARDS at 7:00AM sharp at the concrete band practice and will be flying my models there. See you all there!

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Oct 08, 2004 at 11:39 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:12 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Center section of top wing almost finished. modification to the plans...built two solid sections on the trailing edge to make the two pilot handle bars.

I also cracked one of the strip ribs while sanding. It will be easily repaired tomorrow. Also tomorrow I will install the two light plywood end ribs to both the center section and the wing attachment areas. This will give me a much better glueing surface. And will install the bass wood strips for the cabane struts attachment points...more to come...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:20 PM
St. James, NY Long Island
Joined Jul 2002
100 Posts
Hi Gerry, Looks like it is going to be very light. I have'nt flown mine since the first flights. I have so many other planes that I fly and it is a trip to go to the field where I can take it off. The grass is too thick at my field. Ray
Ray Juschkus is offline Find More Posts by Ray Juschkus
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:28 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Looks familiar?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:31 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
I'll give you a hint, it used to fly with a MEGA 16/15/7-turn DD?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:43 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Ray,

Hi there. Yes I'm doing my best to keep things light. However at the wing junction I don't have a choice but to use light ply ribs where the center section meets the wing. I'll add two wood dowels thru the ribs for a very strong joint. Gotta get her ready for those beautiful Jungmeister style snap rolls!!...

I've seen the Hobby Lobby Jungmeister flying video. It looks awesome!!...is that you flying it on the video?...looking forward to more flight reports...

Gerry.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:46 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Carlos,

Noooo...I don't believe it!!...if you pull this off you'll definitely be crowned as the master of loss cause crash repairs!!...it's coming along great!!...that fuse looks pretty straight from the photos...keep up the good work old buddy!!...I have a feeling we'll have that PRETTY back up in the air soon!!...

Gerry.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:55 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Gerry,

No problem, sorry I didn't get around to it sooner, that dang MINI-SPORT took my mind completely! These BALSA models are just great! You can cut, sand and shape another model from the ruins of a crash or in this case a "Mid-Air "

Check out the "NEW" threat at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285811

Working on it right now! I am carefully going from the tail to the frontal end of the FUSE to keep the tail feathers aligned all the way!

One broken section at a time!

Carlos
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:58 PM
My Soul is High
Fort Payne, AL
Joined Mar 2004
624 Posts
Gerry,
It's coming along nicely I see. Well a cracked rib would be little
price to pay for me. I always manage to stick my thumbs through
something I shouldn't whenever I'm building.
Keep the pics coming.
Barry
Tomokabear is offline Find More Posts by Tomokabear
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:10 AM
St. James, NY Long Island
Joined Jul 2002
100 Posts
Hi Gerry, Remember the picture you sent me of the Bucker in the Hangar? My computer lost all of my old e-mails, could you possibly send it to me again. I am sorry and I hope you can do it for me without too much trouble. Thanks, Ray
Ray Juschkus is offline Find More Posts by Ray Juschkus
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:14 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
I just got my set of plans yesterday. I haven't had too much time to study them yet. I need to finish my Pitts! But one thing I did not realize is that these plans are reduced down to this size from a 1/3 scale plane. Anyhow, I have a question for Gerry. Is the type of rib you are using called out on the plans that way or is that a modification you decided to make? I have never made ribs quite like that before. Do you have any tips, tricks or cautions?

Thanks,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:51 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Joe,

Yes you're right. The original plans are for a 1/3 scale. Therefore there are a lot of reinforcing elements called out that are not quite necessary for the size and weight class we're shooting for here. So, I took some liberties and different approaches to some of the build. But the scale look has been preserved as much as possible.

The rib method I'm using is one I've seen used before on smaller sized models. It seems to me that it should also work at this size. However it is somewhat delicate in the sense that these balsa strips are quite vulnerable to breaks, which I have do a couple of times while sanding the wing assemblies so, much care has to be exercised during the process.

There are two options that may be better in retrospect that I would probably consider if I was starting this project now.

One, is to use basswood strips instead of balsa. It is still light (although not as light as balsa) but much stronger than balsa.

Second option, http://www.arizonamodels.com sell a short kit for the Jungmeister that includes complete laser cut parts, plus fiberglass cowling and wheel fenders for $200...

Time will tell if these wings will be durable enough to merit this method...

Gerry.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:56 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Gerry,

Thank you for your insight. I wouldn't mind a short kit, but $200 sounds a bit steep for a short kit for a plane this size. Is that kit intended for these plans? In other words is everything in the kit the same size as what the plans call for or is there some fudging that would need to be done?

TIA,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:57 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Joe and all interested,

Here's the direct page for the Bucker Jungmeister at arizonamodels...

http://www.arizonamodels.com/newproducts.htm

Gerry.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:01 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Joe,

There may be some adjusting to do with the kit to adapt it to our scale, like I'm sure where it calls for plywood doublers and hard wood reinforecements and bolts, etc...that are not required in our case.

That's one of the reasons I didn't get the kit either. It is not really a too complicated subject for a pure scratchbuilding either. The reason it's taken me this long is because I have to joggle it with all the other things that need to be done everyday...so, it's not hard to tackle at all...just don't rush it and it will be very enjoyable to build.

Gerry.