HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
Progress, sweet progress.

I reinforced the wing mounts and the strut mountings. I also had to glue the battery tray in better. I got some good, fresh epoxy at Lowe's and it is working out well.

The plane is pretty much back together. The wings are back on and the interwing struts are attached. I need to hook up the electronics as the last really big item.

I think I'll redo the rigging wires. It seems easier than trying to fiddle with attaching the stuff as is. It won't take long.

The props and other trinkets I ordered Sunday came today (thanks Hobby Zone!). So long as the weather cooperates I should be able to fly this weekend.
SubManEric is offline Find More Posts by SubManEric
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:10 AM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubManEric View Post
I know your question was to Gerry, but personally I would pick up the pieces, figure out what went wrong, fix it and give it another shot. My guess is most of us would do the same. Or, perhaps more accurately, have done the same.
Correct, it was to him, and I was hoping he would take it lightly.
My guess is that most of us would realize it was not meant to be taken seriously.

This time posted for Gerry in his thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onna Vakkation View Post
I had to look up that record. I thought it was a speed record. Being completely the opposite, you had a lot riding on that build, like the entire hobby. What would you have done if it didn't work out?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=354
Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Jun 10, 2011, 06:17 AM
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
Well, it's almost there. I hooked up the electronics and tested the control surfaces. All good. Also did a taxi test. All good.

Looking like all systems go for a test flight tomorrow.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
Successful Test Flight

I test flew my Jungmeister this morning. Two short flights. I got it up and back down safely both times. No aerobatics. I accomplished my goal. For the first time, I built a scale model from scratch and flew it.

Thanks very much to Gerry and Frank, especially, for their guidance. This was a much easier project than it could have been all by my lonesome because of their help. And thanks again, Gerry, for letting me add on to your thread. You see, I promised NOT to challenge your record. I am a man of my word.

I will have to increase the elevator and aileron throws to get better response. Easy to do.

I found the plane very difficult to turn using ailerons and elevator only. I had to use rudder, and when I did it turned on a dime. I am toying with the idea of differential aileron throw or mixing rudder with the aileron. Or I could just fly it and put the rudder in when I want, how I want. I haven't decided. I am leaning away from programming because it can make one aspect of flying easier at the expense of another.

The rudder has the most authority of all the control surfaces.

I need to carry speed into a landing in order to flare. A little power on the approach next time will make it handle a little better I think. The increased elevator throw will help, too, as the plane seems very tame approaching a stall. No tendency to nose over or groundloop.

It is very smooth and beautiful to see in the air. Everything I wanted from a classic biplane. unfortunately I don't have video. My wife and daughters have the camera. Soon, maybe. Once I get it sorted out to my satisfaction, definitely.

/Eric
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:56 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,471 Posts
Congrats Eric! That is great to hear! I am enjoying flying mine more and more. Interestingly, mine turns fine on aileron and elevator alone, although the big powerful rudder of course makes much nicer turns when used correctly. I don't have any aileron differential. For landings, I have given up trying to 3-point her. I keep a little speed up and land on the mains, and then let the tail settle. I found that if I tried to get it slow enough to 3-point, my landings were always very bouncy.

Enjoy getting to know your Jungmeister!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jun 12, 2011, 01:15 AM
Falling with style!
USA, WA, Freeland
Joined Nov 2010
226 Posts
Great news Eric. it's interesting how your airplanes charectoristics differ from Frank's and mine.

I fly my Youngmeister off of soccer fields, which require very slow three point landings to avoid nosing over. Being 1/5th scale, the wheels are only 2 1/4" if memory serves right, so it is a little sensitive to the grass. It's kinda fun, because if I touch the grass with the tail still in the air, I know itwill nose-over. I have to be very mentally focused to not rush things and hold the airplane off of the ground until it has slowed enough to settle on at three-point attitude. Its a real challenge.

I haven't flown anything myself since April, I guess I should makes some time...

Rick
Rick Ludtke is offline Find More Posts by Rick Ludtke
Old Jun 12, 2011, 06:08 AM
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
Thanks Frank and Rick.

I made some adjustments last night. I increased the elevator throw to about 1 inch and put in 20% expo. I also increased aileron throw to 20 mm up and down with no differential. If I need rudder I'll feel free to use my left hand and fly instead of having a computer do it for me! I also adjusted the rudder clevis to move the rudder right just a little. I'll pay more attention to rudder trim next time up and that may affect the turning characteristics.

Let's see how it flies now before calling it too different from others. Must get the trim and control surface throws right.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:42 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,277 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden Eric. However, IMHO if you need 1" of elevator throw then you are way nose heavy. A plane that size shouldn't need more than about 3/8" throw on the elevator.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:47 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Congrats Eric...well done!!!!!!

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Nov 17, 2011, 04:15 PM
Italy (east cost :-D)
Joined Mar 2010
14 Posts
Hi everybody,
I'm Luca and I'm writing from Italy.
I'm building the Bucker: at the moment I've completed fuse's sides and the tail (elev+rudder).
I'm going to joint the fuse and I need some suggestions:
I would like to know how you completed this process.
Can you post some photos of the bottom of the fuse expecially where the landing gears are fixed to it?
Do you glued the bottom wing to the fuse?

Thanks!
noway79 is offline Find More Posts by noway79
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
Luca,

I used saddle clamps to attach the gear. It screwed in to the bottom of the wing.

Below is a link to Frank von Jaershky's thread, which is very informative. He is very active online and has been very gracious about answering questions I had. Page 15 of his thread contains a couple photos of his landing gear, and how it fits on the bottom of the wing. He writes about it, too.

I think he has a pretty good section on how he did his landing gear that would be worth scrolling through and finding.

Good luck with your build!

/Eric

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=jungmeister
Old Nov 24, 2013, 05:28 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,730 Posts
Gerry took it out again!

Gerry,

I am glad you were able to take out your beloved Bucker Jungmeister to fly again in very good Conditions on Saturday morning (11-23-2013)! The model performed flawlessly and looked greatl

As you discussed post flight, a little down and right thrust angle on the motor and it will continue to fly even better!

I can't wait to see those pictures I took with your Nikon!!

In the mean time, here are a few pictures from my HTC VIVID BLACK Smart phone!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,227 Posts
All this buckering reminds me that I have a Flyine Jungmann kit in the shed for a near future build. It's funny how you get a craving for flying something with more than one wing every so often.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 30, 2013, 02:30 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
All this buckering reminds me that I have a Flyine Jungmann kit in the shed for a near future build. It's funny how you get a craving for flying something with more than one wing every so often.
Yes indeed E-Challenged!!.

Here are my two present bipes, the MotionRC 40" WACO and my scratchbuilt 43" span Jungmeister.

I hadn't flown the Jungmeister in over two years!!...can't believe it had been that long!!.

I recently put it on my dining table, took out the warp on the left bottom wing and increased the top wing incidence by a degree or two.

Then took out to fly last Saturday while by flying buddy Carlos took these great photos!!...

Gerry.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 02:32 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Gerry,

I am glad you were able to take out your beloved Bucker Jungmeister to fly again in very good Conditions on Saturday morning (11-23-2013)! The model performed flawlessly and looked greatl

As you discussed post flight, a little down and right thrust angle on the motor and it will continue to fly even better!

I can't wait to see those pictures I took with your Nikon!!
Thanks a bunch Carlos!!!...the photos are fantastic skybro!!!!.

Gerry.