Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Gerry,

What are you doing for a cowl?

charlie

Charlie,

If I may answer since he has gone off-line....

I asked Gerry about the Cowling on numerous occassions and he replied that he will make it out off traditional balsa block He has found a place on the Web that makes finely detailed fiberglass cowlings but, they are asking $35.00US + shipping.

I suggested a GWS BEAVER cowling but, it maybe a little small for this scaling and besides, Gerry said that he likes that idea of the blisters made out of balsa as well.

Who knows, should this project come out as good as it has so far he may just go for the $35.00 cowling?

Hope this helps.
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2004, 06:04 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Hey guys,

Still undesided about the cowling. I think I'll probably try it out of balsa first and see how that comes out. If it doesn't look good I could then get the fiberglass one, or make a plug and shrink one from a Coke bottle, however I have never tried that method so I'm not sure how that would turn out.

Well, while I ponder on the cabane struts I decided to start on the tail group. Now, the plans call for the typical built up surfaces with some sheet material for the curved ends. Since this plane will be covered with ULTRACOAT which when lit from behind it allows you to see thru it to some extent, I decided to use the old laminated outline method I used a lot for my free fliers in high school.

First I cut a bunch of 1/8" wide strips from a 1/32" balsa sheet. Then I wet them on warm water and start wrapping them around the outline definde by pins. This method is extremely easy to make, it will show thru the covering like the real plane and is very strong and LIGHT when CA is applied to the laminations.

I'm doing this one with four layers to have a uniform 1/8" thick lamination. The photo shows it a lot more clear than I could possibly explain it. It's an old method but it works real well.

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Sep 04, 2004, 06:16 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Charlie,

I'm sorry I missed your question about the underside scheme. The underbelly is all yellow on the swiss version. I did a photo search on webcrawler.com and got lots of good ones. just type "Bucker Jungmeister" on the subject line and make sure you select "photo" for the type of search and go for it...

Gerry.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:42 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
This photo shows the complete rudder assembly while still on the board...
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:43 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
Gerry,

Thanks for the scheme info. Will look through there. I like the yellow swiss, but, maybe will find another pattern, or make one up, as I have been known to do Maybe the Swiss scheme on top and red on the bottom, or, red and yellow checks. I know the scale purists will hunt me down

I will wait and see how your cowl comes out. I am very impatient when it comes to carving things. Just smooth curves try my will power.

Don't you just love the laminating method. Did it first on a Dare Triplane (where I learned it), then again on my WACO. I found that I like to use 1/32" ply on the inside, then a few layers of 1/16" or 1/32" balsa. And I agree, the CA is best for bonding. I like to cut out a template from 3/16" foamboard (thick posterboard stype stuff) and tape the strips to that.

Looking forward to seeing yours evolve.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:46 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Before lifting the assembly off the board, I like to sand the edge flush with the rest. This is easier done at this stage because of all the pins holding down the assembly to make it easier to sand.

At this stage also make sure to check for any loose joints and also for any section of the laminate that may need some more CA...
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:50 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
The real Buckers had fully ribbed tail surfaces resulting in a fairly thick airfoil on the tail.

This airfoil is simulated at this point by adding a false leading edge from 1/8" stock and also false ribs from 1/16" sheet glued on to the surface as shown in the photo...
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:56 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
And here's the finished rudder after final sanding!!.

The rest of the tail is done in a similar fashion so, I'll post them when they're finished.

Ok so, tomorrow I'll finish the tail and the remaining side stringers on the fuselage. I need to finalize how I'll do the cabane struts so I can finish off the forward fuselage.

I think the fuselage should be complete along with the tail in a day or two more and then it will be the wings!!...

More to come...

Happy Landings!!

Gerry
Old Sep 05, 2004, 10:39 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
This photo shows the fuselage with the vertical fin and rudder temporarily attached for the camera. The laminated tail outline looks realistic.

In a little bit I'll get started on the stabilizer and elevator...more to come.

Gerry.
Old Sep 05, 2004, 06:07 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Gerry,

Just SUPER!

Can't wait for it with the covering!

Carlos
Old Sep 06, 2004, 07:08 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Carlos, you're right I can't wait to see it covered. Actually the tail surfaces are ready to be covered. I need to go get the ULTRACOTE tomorrow and will cover them tomorrow night.

I also need to get the wire for the cabane struts tomorrow as well.

Charlie, hey hadn't thought of doing the inner layer out of 1/32" ply. It sure would make for a stronger structure. I'll give it a shot on my next project, thanks for the idea!!

Today I built the stabilizer and rudder. Here's a photo. The elevator halves are joined by a carbon rod.

Gerry.
Old Sep 06, 2004, 08:00 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
Damn your fast,

even with the hurricane. were you working by candle light when the power went out?

Toby
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Old Sep 07, 2004, 07:59 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogon1013
Damn your fast,

even with the hurricane. were you working by candle light when the power went out?

Toby
Toby,

All Gerry needed was a little push and encouragement This thread is the best to watch than those silly Hurricane perdictions!.

Carlos
Old Sep 07, 2004, 08:40 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,929 Posts
Gerry,

You are welcome. Of course I can't take credit for it. Got the idea from other threads.

Yours is looking really nice! It is getting me fired up here to get my present projects done so I can get started on mine!

Do you still plane on mounting the aileron servos in the wings? Pushrods or pull-pull for the rudder/elevator?

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 09, 2004, 02:42 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Gerry Show and Telling his newest Project!

Fans:

Here's Gerry and his new creation! Introducing the 43 inch wing span "Scratch Build" Bucker Jungmeister ! (The Fuse at least!)