HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2004, 06:45 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Okay, another yard stick ...... it has to fly just as good or better than your ROBBE BJ !

Take a look! If that little light weight foamie could fly with the heavy Ni-MH's of yester year with the EPS-300C then, this scatch build would fly just as good or better with Li-POLYs!

Remember this pic? Very windy conditinos and you were coming in for a landing.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:38 AM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Ok back to building...

Got home around 1:00 a.m. and started working on finishing the starboard (right) side of the fuselage.

This side was pinned right over the finished left side so that both come out exactly aligned and even. The wax paper goes between the two. Thin CA works great and it accelerates the process white a bit.

Notice the diagonal members between all the verticals. all these closed triangles give the model tremendous resistance to bending and flexing and yet maintaining a super light weight frame...
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:45 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
After waiting a few minutes, I removed the pins and lifted the right side from the left side. At this point some of the wax paper will stick to the joints but it comes off by pulling it away quite effortless.

At this point it is also a good idea to go over all the joints to make sure you didn't miss any. I had missed one and caught it at this stage...
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:52 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Well...here are the two sides just sitting side by side for the camera. It's now 2:45 a.m. so, I think I'm gonna call it a night at this point.

Tomorrow's schedule;

Glue both sides together to form the basic "box" fuselage...just like the real Jungmeister.

Then start cutting and glueing upper , side and bottom formers that will determine the actual shape of the fuselage...so, more to come.

Happy Landings!!.

Gerry.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 05:05 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Well...I decided to frame up the fuselage and "box" it before retiring for the night....(or should I say morning now??) so, here it is. Couple of photos showing the complete lower fuselage.

Ok, it's 5:00 a.m. now!!...I think I'm gonna crash for a while. I'll pick up building in the late morning.

Gerry.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 08:14 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Just Super!

Congrats good buddy! It's looking like the best project you have entered ever!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 08:39 AM
RJB
Joined Oct 2003
135 Posts
Gerry,

What issue of MAN are the plans from? The Bucker is a favorite of mine! Thanks!

Cheers!
RJB is offline Find More Posts by RJB
Old Aug 31, 2004, 02:01 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Carlos, RJB and all,

Thanks for the good words guys. Well, had to go shopping in preps for the hurricane Frances so, the day went on long lines at the grocery stores and here I am getting ready to head to work.

If I'm not too pooped when I get home tonight I'll try to start on the top formers and stringers. Otherwise it may have to wait till morning. Bad timing with this second shift.

RJB, the plans were published originally in some old issue of MAN, however I ordered them from their plans list towards the back of their current issues. I think they also have a web site. I'll see if I can dig it out and post here.

Carlos was generous enough to go to KINKOS and he had two copies made of the plans. He was so kind to let me have one that I'm using as a working copy. Turned out to be a great idea Carlos, since I've already spilled a couple of CA drops on a couple of spots that went right thru the paper and glued it to the assemblt board. Thanks buddy!!.

Well, I'll post later...

Happy Landings for now...

Gerry.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 07:23 AM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Well, after a couple of days of hurricane preparations, I now have time to resume building while we're hybernating waiting for the storm.

I got up at 4:00 a.m. this morning and after taking care of some very important things, I got on to cutting and glueing the formers aft of the cockpit. I also cut and installed the stringers that run from the cockpit back to the tail group.

I used bass wood stringers. They are much stronger than balsa and are not that much heavier.

Today I will add the formers forward of the cockpit and sheeting to form the luggage compartment aft of the cockpit and the "aluminum panels" forward of the cockpit...

Gerry.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:15 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
SUPER!

I think it is going to be a very strong model and yet relatively light for good flying abilities.

Way to GO BUDDY!
Carlos
Old Sep 04, 2004, 04:16 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Carlos,

Thanks again for the positive feedback sky brother...and lots of thanks for helping out so much in framing and paneling for the hurricane. I pray for ours as well as your safety throughout it all...Godspeed!!

Now back to the building status...

Today I finished the sheet balsa skin behind the cockpit. In real life this is a storage compartment. I used 1/16 balsa sheet for this.

TIP...wet the balsa on warm water and it will be very easy to bend without cracking.

Later on I added the three formers on the upper front fuselage and also the control panel. Before I install the stringers and sheet them I need to install the wing cabane struts.

I've got a couple of ideas on how to implement the cabane struts and I hope I'll have those done by tonight so I can proceed with sheeting the formers and close out the upper front fuselage area.

Here's a photo and...more to come...

Gerry.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 04:21 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
This truss fuselage is STRONG!!...I've pressed and twisted pretty hard on it and it won't buckle. It is also very LIGHT...of course nothing new here...these are the exact reasons why they were doing it this way since WWI..!!

Gerry.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 04:37 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
A profile view of the fuselage so far...it's taking on that unmistakeable Jungmeister profile...!!...

Gerry.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 04:59 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Excellent!
Old Sep 04, 2004, 05:21 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,835 Posts
Gerry,

Good building job and beautiful subject!

I too will be searching out those plans. Have been looking for an aerobatic biplane that hasn't been modelled to death. I know the Bucker is fairly common, but, not as bad as the numerous Stearmans, Pitts', Ultimates, etc. Besides it will go well next to my WACO SRE. Was the under side of the Swiss yellow scheme yellow as well or is it a different color? My old eyes need some color reference when tumbling around the sky

What are you doing for a cowl?

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb