HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2001, 06:24 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2001
6 Posts
First electric plane for an experienced glow flier?

I've been lurking around E Zone for a while now, and have decided that I want to be an electric flier. Can someone recommend a sensible choice for my first electric plane? My circumstances are that I:

- am a competent flier of a <A HREF="http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/ProductsIL.html?L+Sig+odmm2830+_Ddp_5fSearch1_02A_ 2dPlaneRCFStar40_01">SIG Four Star 40</A>, with 2 years RC flight experience
- fly outdoor
- have no serious electric fliers at my club
- prefer sport aerobatic models
- am attracted to planes like the Great Planes Electro Streak, or something in the Speed 400 range
- prefer to build planes from kit
- am afraid of selecting a model that is too fast or twitchy for me to fly.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

I've done my best to search through the discussion archives, but I couldn't find any information that exactly matches my question.

Thanks!

PS. Thanks to everyone who has made E Zone such a great reference and such an interesting place.
Digital is offline Find More Posts by Digital
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2001, 06:35 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,485 Posts
You will get a million different replies on this!

As a long-term IC flyer my first electric models were a Pico Jet and a Twin Star. After 2 years (and with experience of ailerons) you should be able to handle either with no problem at all, but if you're worried then the Twin Star would be better.

Either of these will get you e-flying in a couple of evenings at low cost.

With 8 cells and 4-ch radio the Twin Star is reasonably aerobatic .. I have a trike u/c on mine and it will ROG easily from shortish grass. It will loop, roll, spin, flick roll, bunt (just), etc. yet it looks quite scale in the air. I get 10 min flights with 2400 cells.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jul 26, 2001, 06:36 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Welcome to the ezone! Buy an X250! Its made to fly outside. It is a sport areobatic plane. Flies smooth and it very areobatic and a lot of fun to fly. It uses a geared 400 on 10cells. And is a kit. It don't fly to fast and isn't twitchy with the throws set right.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Jul 26, 2001, 07:17 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,712 Posts
Why not do a 4-40? I've seen them fly on 8 cells, up to 20 cells. From a geared Magnetic Mayhem to a hot geared brushless. From a gentle flyer to a hot performer. You already know the plane and how it performs. Build it light and power it to your preference. Dave C.
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Jul 26, 2001, 07:33 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I'd second the X250.. it's a good builder and a good flier.
The investment up front isn't all that steep.

Sparky Paul
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2001, 07:35 PM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
If you are thinking of an Electrostreak, then take a look at the Embat. It is a newer version of the Electrostreak. I flew mine yesterday with an AVeox 1406/4Y, 8 3000 NiMH cells, and a 8 x 6 APC E prop. A very crisp performer. I will go to 10 cells, (2000 NiMH) for a little more power at the same weight as the 8 cell version.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Jul 26, 2001, 08:15 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
While many of the suggestions here are very very good, particularly the X250, I'd recommend the Electrostreak. I make this recommendation for performance and cost reasons. The performance is good with the stock motor and can be improved with a Magnetic Mayhem or Velkom motor. As far as I can see the E-streak is one of the best bangs for buck going. You pay $55 for the plane/motor, pick up a good 30 amp ESC for around $40-$50 and run the system on 7 1900 SCR cells at $4 or less per cell. Remember you'll need a decent charger and if you want to upgrade the motor you pay $25-50 for the motors listed.
Again the other suggestions are good but the cost for an E-streak setup makes it very attractive.
Dave Ottney
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Jul 26, 2001, 09:11 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
X250 is you want small, and relatively cheap. Or if you like how the 4* flies, electrify one of those. The streak would certainly work well, it's a very capable model. The 250 is small, sp400-sized, but doesn't like a lot of wind.
Lots of options inbetweem of course, but there's not many glow models that you can't electrify, so what would you like?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 26, 2001, 09:14 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,713 Posts
Look at the Herr Pitts. Many people have converted it to electric. http://iflyherr.com
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 27, 2001, 12:22 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2001
6 Posts
Thankyou for your replies. It is great to get the benefit of your wisdom and experience.

I don't think I'm ready for a conversion project yet. Maybe after I have some experience with a purpose-built electric aircraft ...
Digital is offline Find More Posts by Digital
Old Jul 27, 2001, 10:15 AM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
build another four star 40, lighten it up, and stick a 40 size engine in it.

muhhahahahahha

you can hover with that setup....

Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Jul 27, 2001, 11:33 PM
Arlington ,Tx ,USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
Don't forget s400....FMA Razor....Ace Simple 400...Great starters without alot of $$$. That way, if you don't like'em, you did not waste alot of money. Plus you can always put these on fuel! (.049-.061)
Duane is offline Find More Posts by Duane
Old Jul 28, 2001, 12:37 AM
Joined Jul 2001
36 Posts
Hi Digital! Found myself in the same boat as you. Been flying R/C off and on since the late 1969. I built an X-250 for my 26 year old son when he sugested we should take up the hobby again. Found out my reflexes and eyesight were not what they used to be! Once sorted out with the help of Larry at SR my son could fly the 250 but I needed something more relaxing.The SR cutie was not yet released so I bought a Miss2 from Hobby Lobby after reading the Steve Horney review on the EZONE. Best $109.00 I have ever spent in this hobby!As said by Cruz and a whole lot of other EZONERS this craft is great! The quality of the kit is EXCEPTIONAL and if built stone stock flies with no problems.Very RELAXING-VERY FORGIVING-Provided me with the opportunity to get my confidence back.I am sure there are other fine models to choose from but this is one you should definitely consider if you are in the market for an ARF. This is definitely not an aerobatic model. But you may find as I did that E-flight is a whole new ball of wax as compared to IC. These are much smaller models that are much less forgiving in regards to cg and control throws than wet powered modelers are used to.Iwould suggest you get one trainer type under your belt before you look to performance ships- Theres a lot to learn!

[This message has been edited by mml4 (edited 07-27-2001).]
mml4 is offline Find More Posts by mml4
Old Jul 29, 2001, 12:29 AM
Duvall, Wa USA
Joined Jul 2001
18 Posts
I would suggest the Herr Engineering
Cloud Ranger Kit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Digital:
I've been lurking around E Zone for a while now, and have decided that I want to be an electric flier. Can someone recommend a sensible choice for my first electric plane? My circumstances are that I:

- am a competent flier of a <A HREF="http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/ProductsIL.html?L+Sig+odmm2830+_Ddp_5fSearch1_02A_ 2dPlaneRCFStar40_01">SIG Four Star 40</A>, with 2 years RC flight experience
- fly outdoor
- have no serious electric fliers at my club
- prefer sport aerobatic models
- am attracted to planes like the Great Planes Electro Streak, or something in the Speed 400 range
- prefer to build planes from kit
- am afraid of selecting a model that is too fast or twitchy for me to fly.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

I've done my best to search through the discussion archives, but I couldn't find any information that exactly matches my question.

Thanks!

PS. Thanks to everyone who has made E Zone such a great reference and such an interesting place.
smithrl is offline Find More Posts by smithrl
Old Jul 31, 2001, 08:18 AM
Australia
Joined May 2001
18 Posts
As you are from Canberra you may find this site usefull. A lot of the problems with electric flight are very different to those of the internal combustion flight, having others to share the problems with can make them interesting, rather than driving you out of the best part of model flying.
The Electro Streak would be a good choice if you are already able to handle that type of model, but check out what others are flying and then decide which you prefer, and the gear you wish to buy.
Happy E flying http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/5459/
E SOARER is offline Find More Posts by E SOARER