HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2004, 05:48 PM
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
Flap/Spoiler mod for electrified Mirage Sailplane

Im considering Modifying my Mirage (the one designed by Blaine Rawdon and now powered by an AXI 2814/12)for a Flap/Spoiler combination mounted in the 48" center wing panel.

Basically, my current plan would consist of 1 micro servo placed into each side of the panel and Y connected to a single channel. I would basically cut a length of the existing trailing edge and use with a monkote hinge. I have about 22" of wing to work with from the fuse out to the outer wing panel.

I don't think I would need that whole span and would be worred about control surface warpage even if I were to do that! My thoughts are to use about an 8" span on each side biased to the inboard side.

Does anybody have a recomendation for the length of each spoiler/flap?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Mike D.
mdiehl is offline Find More Posts by mdiehl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2004, 07:49 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You don't need both. Use spoilers OR flaps.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 29, 2004, 09:27 AM
rockville maryland
Joined Aug 2000
309 Posts
i would come out 1 bay from the CL and 1 bay in from the poly joint. i would use 20% of the wing cord for the flap. i did just that on my electric big bird from skybench and it lands like a dream...ken
ken troxell is offline Find More Posts by ken troxell
Old Aug 29, 2004, 03:28 PM
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
Mirage spoiler/flap mods

Thanks for the advice. Spoilers is the addition I would really like to have, as usually upon landing it usually passes me by a head level! I'd sure like those spoilers

With my current plan for installation the flaps would just be a maybe useful side benefit. I may even use it as an AP platform someday and flapped landing capabillity might be useful since I usually describe my reflexes as being "slower than a tree sloth" slow for me is good!

Ken, the wing chord for the center panel is 9"( and I'll be using about 3/4 " of the actual chord of the TE), would that instead be 20% of the wing span per side (20% of approx.56")?

One other question I did have was has anyone had experience with one of the Hobby Lobby servo mounts designed hold either a standard or mini servo and has an integral exit fairing.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servomount.htm#fairings[/URL]

Thanks again,

Mike D.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 04:50 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Flaps can bring a model down quickly just as spoilers can, when properly configured. 90 degree flaps will virtually stop a model in flight - you have to nose-down to maintain flying speed, and this gets you down in a hurry, but you don't gain much speed, and when you level out, you can kill flaps to glide further if needed, or just let the model settle at almost a walking pace. I could not believe how slowly my very heavy 3m composite glider landed with flaps.. I am looking forward to seeing how my heavily loaded Ariane V11 F5B ship performs with flaps too..
..a
Old Aug 29, 2004, 06:22 PM
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
Mirage flaps/spoilers

Thanks Andy and I'll give em a try

I'll keep ya posted and post some pics when I get the mods finished.

cheers,

Mike D.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 07:35 PM
Hollywood,Fl
Joined Mar 2004
41 Posts
Hi Andy, I am using a non computer 6 ch hitec transmitter with a rotory switch for flaps.How do you set up your servo for 90 degree drop.I can't seem to get it from a neutral position of the servo.Do I put the servo under a load to keep the flap closed to get a longer reach.Looking forward to your help. Thanks, Jerry
Jerry Ledford is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Ledford
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:47 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You have to set the mechanical linkage so the flap is neutral at servo center, and at the correct throw (90 is not really needed - 80 or 75 will do) is at max throw.
..a
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:45 AM
LSF186
Wayne, NJ
Joined Jan 2003
424 Posts
definitely spoilers-cliffnotes version

i have been flying the mirage for over 25 years, with spoilers. in fact installed them after the wing was built and had been flying the plane for some time.

you don't need a lot of spoiler to slow the mirage down. i only use about 1/4" at the most, 1/2" max. the mirage will just stop. u can pick up the mechanical ones from hobby lobby. i used a servo in each wing panel. easy install. hope this helps.

later bob
neonbutterfly is offline Find More Posts by neonbutterfly
Old Sep 01, 2004, 09:48 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined May 2000
602 Posts
http://www.isthmusmodels.com/pages/mirage.html

Check out Augie's article (modification #2). This may or may not help.

Just out of curiosity -- how much is your AUW with the AXI setup? (I've been kicking around a Mirage project for a long time now...)

Chung
chlee is offline Find More Posts by chlee
Old Sep 01, 2004, 10:18 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I'm not against spoilers - just don't need both flaps and spoilers, in my opinion..
..a
Old Sep 02, 2004, 06:41 AM
LSF186
Wayne, NJ
Joined Jan 2003
424 Posts
i'm in the process of exploring a motor, prop, battery setup for my new mirage. i have a thread elsewhere asking for an ava setup, cause a lot of pilots are not familiar with the mirage.

it is a great plane and very competitive in the nostlgia class. in fact that is the mirage on the histart in my avatar!!!

bob
Old Sep 02, 2004, 03:08 PM
Joined Jun 2004
49 Posts
Electrified Mirage AUW

Chung:

AUW for my Mirage with the Kokam pack is 44.3 oz (1256 gms).

Mike D.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:45 PM
LSF186
Wayne, NJ
Joined Jan 2003
424 Posts
pics of my spoiler setup on my mirage

spoilers from hobby lobby
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:47 PM
LSF186