HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:39 PM
Norhteast Arkansas
Joined Jul 2004
169 Posts
Brushless motor kicks back at low throttle settings???

I have an E-flight park 370 and a CC-25 speed control. When you advance the throttle slowly, as soon as the motor wants to start to turn, it kinda jumps and wants to kick back, but when you advance the throttle past this point it is fine. I have checked the gear mesh and that is fine. Is this just normal behavior? Also, are different brands of brushless motors wired up differently? I have a himax 2015 and when it is plugged into the speedo red-to-red, black-to-black, etc.. it turns in the right direction, but my e-flight motor turns backwards when plugged up like this. Is it OK to just reverse the red and the black wires? Thanks in advance for any advice that you guys can lend.

Zach
New Park Pilot is offline Find More Posts by New Park Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:06 AM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
Many brushless motors, including my Himax which is basically the same as the E-flight, kick a little on the first click of throttle.
It's normal. Just advance the throttle a little faster at first.
It's fine to switch any two wires on a brushless motor. That's how you get it to change direction.
Foamaholic is online now Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:37 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,849 Posts
The Phoenix 25 has 2 settings which can cause the stutter-start problem you describe if set incorrectly: Electronic Timing Advance & Soft Start.

I'm not familiar with the E-Flight motors so I can't really suggest a setting for the Electronic Timing Advance. You can experiment a little, though, but beware that more aggressive timing draws more amps.

Before messing with the timing, try turning off the Soft Start and see what happens. I had to do this on a 3D plane to get an AXI to restart reliably.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Aug 28, 2004, 07:22 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,497 Posts
A bit of a wiggle is normal for brushless motors, ESC trying to figure out rotor position for synchronisation.

Met vriendelijke groet Ron van Sommeren
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Aug 28, 2004, 08:49 AM
Norhteast Arkansas
Joined Jul 2004
169 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.
New Park Pilot is offline Find More Posts by New Park Pilot
Old Aug 28, 2004, 08:55 AM
Who Put that Tree There?
Athens, Tennessee
Joined Jun 2003
505 Posts
Same problem here

Thats what I did. I turned off the soft start. Like a charm now.
Krashlnd is offline Find More Posts by Krashlnd