HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2004, 04:54 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opualuan
glenn, I've scanned the parts from my komet kit, and redrawn most of them. I'm planning on getting a set of parts lasercut, to make the construction neater/easier... mine will get a brushless ips (medusa, feigao, etc), when i finally get around to building it...

nice nieuport, we need some video of aerobatics, I've yet to see an actuator plane do aerobatics....
I haven't a doubt that with that much wing area it'll make a great prop driven plane! Pusher or tractor? Enlarged?

But I HAVE to make me a 16" R/C rocket fighter where I light the fuse and toss it...it's like a compulsion or something

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2004, 05:10 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
same size, pusher, a la picojet.

I'd be too worried about fires with rockets, I think performance could be similar
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Aug 28, 2004, 06:39 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Glenn, the Hunter has been gathering dust in the basement for a long time, but as I remembered it itīs not as large as 20" span, and definitely NOT designed for EDF. The name "Keilkraft" kept popping up in my mind when I thought of the Hunter. I bought it more than ten years ago together with a couple of other freeflight models (I remember a Hurricane and a Stuka but I think there was at least one more besides the Hunter. Iīve given away the other kits, but kept the Hunter.

Your questions aroused my curiosity, so I had to make a dash for the basement. Iīve attached a picture of the kit below.

Opualuan, donīt hold your breath waiting for an aerobatic video of the Nieuport. Besides stallturns I donīt think that her aerobatic repertoir is that great, plus I donīt have a videocamera. I WILL be pushing the envelope once I feel comfortable with it though, but as mentioned I couldnīt get her to loop during the maiden!

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Aug 28, 2004, 08:04 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroaltitude
Glenn, the Hunter has been gathering dust in the basement for a long time, but as I remembered it itīs not as large as 20" span, and definitely NOT designed for EDF. The name "Keilkraft" kept popping up in my mind when I thought of the Hunter. I bought it more than ten years ago together with a couple of other freeflight models (I remember a Hurricane and a Stuka but I think there was at least one more besides the Hunter. Iīve given away the other kits, but kept the Hunter.

Anders O
Ah, that explains it! I bet it'll be a cutie, Anders!

Opualuan, these Rapiers are professionally manufactured motors, just like Jetex. Structurally, they're like miniature Estes rockets but burn slower. I've seen and heard about far more damage caused by heavy slimer planes smacking into things (and catching fire, and shedding parts) than I ever have about teeny little 4-5 oz. models.

They aren't gonna blow up or do anything weird, and people have been flying with them for years. I'll be flying on private property, and I'll have a little Halon extinguisher in the extremely unlikely event of anything actually catching fire. That said, I think it'll be extremely fun to do!

Solid fuel rocket powered micro R/C...there is no substitute...IMO, no prop driven machine is ever going to come close to the cool factor of that Komet hissing along leaving a smoke trail

Hals und Beinbruch!

Glenn
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:02 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
true... but given the dry brush in CA, and the fact that rocket power and gas is specifically forbidden at my field, I'll be content watching your video!
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:47 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opualuan
true... but given the dry brush in CA, and the fact that rocket power and gas is specifically forbidden at my field, I'll be content watching your video!
Yow-

Then you certainly would never ever want to do what this fellow did!

Glenn
Old Aug 29, 2004, 04:30 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Glenn, Iīm sure it will make a pretty plane if I ever get around to building it (as it is or enlarged). Iīm sure it isnīt very scale though, and the kit is a very simple thing with a small amount of parts.

Itīd make a nice project though blown up for a Speed 300 pusher. Havenīt ventured into the territory of jets so far. This should be a pretty easy startingpoint.

The Hawker Hunter, along with the SAAB Lansen are among the Jetplanes that I consider most easthetically pleasing. Certainly a lot more so than any "modern" Jetplanes.

Anders O
Old Aug 29, 2004, 04:41 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Glenn, Iīm sure it will make a pretty plane if I ever get around to building it (as it is or enlarged). Iīm sure it isnīt very scale though, and the kit is a very simple thing with a small amount of parts.

Itīd make a nice project though blown up for a Speed 300 pusher. Havenīt ventured into the territory of jets so far. This should be a pretty easy startingpoint.

The Hawker Hunter, along with the SAAB Lansen are among the Jetplanes that I consider most easthetically pleasing. Certainly a lot more so than any "modern" Jetplanes.

Anders O
"Modern" jet planes, hmph. 'Stealth' planes, bah. A Jedi craves not these things.

They all look like door stop wedges to me! I like the old MiGs, Yaks and so on myself, as far as jets go, or some of those German designs like the Huckebein that never got off the drawing boards, like you find at the Luft 46 site.

I bet that little Hunter will be fun to fly!

BTW, speaking of really small projects, while looking up those little Feigao BL motors, I notice that Balsa Products has these teeny little 4.3g. servos...for only $14.50 USD! According to the site, with some slight mods they can be brought down to just 3.2g.! See, what was I saying..sub 2g. servos at affordable prices can't be far off. These little 'Blue Arrow' servos would be great in lotts of FF conversions as it is...it's a great time to be in the hobby, I say yet again

Glenn
Old Aug 29, 2004, 05:08 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Glenn, those servos do look good. I think that one problem with these "normal" layout sub-microsized servos in really small models is that youīd have problems powering them off of one single Lipolycell when also driving a motor off them. So when compared to the magnetic actuator systems, even if youīd get the wheight down of the actual servos, thereīs be little gained if youīd have to double the wheight of the batteries.
I might very well be wrong about this though, God knows it has happened before!

Anders O
Old Aug 29, 2004, 05:59 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Glenn, those servos do look good. I think that one problem with these "normal" layout sub-microsized servos in really small models is that youīd have problems powering them off of one single Lipolycell when also driving a motor off them. So when compared to the magnetic actuator systems, even if youīd get the wheight down of the actual servos, thereīs be little gained if youīd have to double the wheight of the batteries.

Anders O
True enough, but you can get some mighty small 2S lipos...and it's getting better by the week! Sky Hooks & Rigging has some mighty light ones...

I'd rather sacrifice some duration for something with a high cool factor any day

BTW, remember, the Komet is the only plane I'm considering for single cell operation...that Rapier motor carries its own fuel...the battery would be only be there to power the servos...lol

Glenn
Old Aug 29, 2004, 06:07 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
You are right ofcorse, I forgot about the rocket power!

And I agree with substituting duration with "" too. Your Komet-project will be very ""!

As I said earlier, Iīm really looking forward to reading about it when you get around to it.

Anders O
Old Sep 02, 2004, 11:03 AM
Bertrand MICHELS
Belgium
Joined Nov 2003
1,410 Posts
On the Nieuport, elevator and rudder are inversed !

I also have a gasparin RTF, and with booth, my Graupner MC18 and MC22, I have rudder on the elevator stick and vice versa. There are no program in my Graupner to deal with this !

Do you have the same problem ? how did you fixed it ?
bmaaa is offline Find More Posts by bmaaa
Old Sep 02, 2004, 12:10 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
No, I didnīt have that problem. I donīt know how the Graupner MC18 and MC22 TX works, but I would be surprised if you couldnīt reverse the channels.
My Flash 5 TX has the ability to reverse channels. I donīt know what mode (1 or 2) you usually fly in France, but here in Sweden the norm is this:
R/E/T plane (3ch), rudder and elevator on the right stick, throttle on the left stick.
R/A/E/T plane (4ch, or 3ch with ailerons and no rudder), ailerons and elevator on right stick, rudder (if there is rudder) and throttle on left stick.

It sounds to me as if the problem lies in which channel does what on the Graupner TX, and that is something I am unable to help you with. Sorry. The only possibility I see is to re-solder the servos to the "correct" (for the Graupner TX) spots on the RX.

Anders O
Old Sep 03, 2004, 06:25 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2003
11 Posts
Thanks for the flight report Anders. I would like to purchase a flight ready Nieuport for myself, but I have not heard back from Gasparin after sending them a couple of emails.

Anybody have any ideas on how to contact them from the US. Does anybody import their products into the US currently?

Thanks, Ken
Pitts S2B Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pitts S2B Flyer
Old Sep 03, 2004, 08:10 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
Quote:

Anders O
Even at ~4g ea. That's just too heavy for single lipoly use and I understand why they ar not designed to operate down to 3v.

Falcon in the UK makes a 1.7g servo that works on a single li-poly. At that weight is is lighter than a std. actuator. $60 ea. but, you gotta pay for small. They are not cased either. I've got a number of projects lined up for the three I managed to get.

I've also have 5 of the Cirrus 4.4g servos. They do weigh ony 4.4g with connector, horn, and screw. For use in my "heavy" planes. Had a problem with one out of the box, but none since then. Some have reported a bit higher failure rate. I mention them mainly because they are the only servos I've had weigh in as claimed.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff