HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2004, 03:16 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Two planes maidened, Auster and Nieuport11 (Gasparin Micro RTF)

Hi guys!
Iīve ben able to maiden two scaleplanes yesterday and today.
First off was my Auster, which I bought allready built (had been a .10-,15 slimer). Itīs an R/E/T bird, and I intend to use it as a relaxing substitute for slowflyers on days when winds are up. The conversion was straightforward, basically I strapped an MPJet 25/35-20 motor to the existing motormount (with just a bit of modification to the mount and cowl), glued some velcro on the cabinfloor to hold the batteries, installed RX, servos and ESC, recovered the model and went flying.

I maidened her yesterday in less than perfect conditions (a bit too windy, but I couldnīt resist). All went great. Prop is an APC 10X10E, and on 2s Lipolys this gives me plenty of speed, more than scale thrust/climb and the ability to cruise at less than half throttle. She wonīt ROG though, Iīll wait a bit and see if it gets any better when our grassfield is freshly mown. Otherwise I might try a slightly larger prop, but I am so satisfied with her airborne behaviour that Iīm not even sure Iīll bother.

The only "negative" point is that I got the rightthrust wrong, way too little. So now I need tho keep some righttrim on the rudder to keep her from turning left under throttle, which in turn meens that I need to keep some left rudder when gliding or at VERY low throttlesettings. The way I feel now, I wonīt change the thrustline. I can live with this little quirk. If/when I get a more powerfull motor for the Auster I will change it though.

Yesterday I used a 2s2p E-tec 2400HP pack to keep the CG well forward. Today I only used a 2s1p E-Tec 2400HP (actually this is the 1200HP E-tec in 2s2p). AUW is 1000Gram or 2.2pounds with this pack.

Here are a couple of pictures of her. The first one is "in the nude" which is the way I bought her. The rest are airborne pictures from today.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Last edited by Zeroaltitude; Aug 27, 2004 at 06:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2004, 03:29 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
The second plane that has been maidened is my Gasparin Peanut Scale (13") Nieuport 11.

This is a model that Iīve bought RTF. Gasparin offers his kits RTF and testflown, and although it was rather expensive (or should I say it cost a fair bit of money instead) I felt that it was well worth the money once I had the opportunity to see the model on the shelf at my favourite hobbystore MFT (www.mft.nu).

Iīve had the plane for over a week, and it has been a struggle not to try and maiden her in the windy conditions we have had. Today was much better though not ideal. Anyway I felt confident enough to maiden her, and I neednīt have worried a bit.
She flew perfectly, controlauthority was a bit on the "soft" side, but then again this isnīt an aerobat exactly. This plane will be a hoot to fly when indoor season is here. In the meantime I will fly her outdoors on really calm days.
As far as the flightenvelope, cruising low and slow is what she does best looking VERY convincing. Stallturns where easy, but I never got her to loop due to the low wheight and speed and high drag of the plane.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Nieuport RTF. The first one has been posted before and is mainly for sizereference.

Anders O
Old Aug 27, 2004, 03:39 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Hey, Anders-

The Auster is nice looking, especially for a try at the used market, but that Nieuport is COOL!

Looks great in the photos, that or something like it is something I'd enjoy when sub-2g. servos become affordable. I have plans for a detailed Bucker Jungmeister in Peanut scale (but a nice wide round fuselage ) which would be big fun to fly R/C 4 channel!

Any details on that Nieuport's equipment?

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Aug 27, 2004, 03:55 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Hi Glenn!
Thanks for the kind words on the Auster. I am very pleased with it. It was rather sad looking when I found it in the LHS, kind of like a puppy in a dogpound (I think thatīs the word?) so I had to "rescue" it. It will fill a nice gap in my fleet, between the faster more agile planes and the slowflyers.

The Nieuport IS cool, just wish I could take some credit for it!
The equipment in the Nieuport is:
Servo MCA3-D (two microactuators bult on one circuitboard)
RX Penta
ESC MSC 1-145 (optimized for use with a single 145mAh Lipoly cell)
Battery 1s Lipoly 145mAh
Motor/gearbox Gasparin GB32

A Bücker Jungmeister on full house (4ch) control would be too cool. What was it the Nike commercial said? Just do it!!!

Anders O
Old Aug 27, 2004, 07:32 PM
Nashville, Tennesse, United States
Joined Mar 2004
195 Posts
Mu2Freighter, you should take a look in the micro forum. There are no affordable sub2gram servo's but, there are actuators that are in line with that. Look forard to your jug.
Higher is offline Find More Posts by Higher
Old Aug 28, 2004, 01:20 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
falcons aren't too bad...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Aug 28, 2004, 01:33 AM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opualuan
falcons aren't too bad...
No question, but I don't have the checkbook to support $60 per Falcon servo!

The Didel 1.3g. servos are cool too, but $90 plus each??

Betcha nickel Mr. Lin has his eye on the folks wanting really small servos, and deep in some secret underground GWS lab in Taiwan is diligently working on the problem as we speak!

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Aug 28, 2004 at 01:45 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 01:35 AM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher
Mu2Freighter, you should take a look in the micro forum. There are no affordable sub2gram servo's but, there are actuators that are in line with that. Look forard to your jug.
Agreed, but I've gotten used to proportional control. I've seen that Peanut Pitts doing its routine indoors, but I'm not too sanguine about going off on a tangent with receivers that won't be compatible with my other stuff.

Glenn
Old Aug 28, 2004, 01:39 AM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroaltitude
Hi Glenn!
Thanks for the kind words on the Auster. I am very pleased with it. It was rather sad looking when I found it in the LHS, kind of like a puppy in a dogpound (I think thatīs the word?) so I had to "rescue" it. It will fill a nice gap in my fleet, between the faster more agile planes and the slowflyers.

The Nieuport IS cool, just wish I could take some credit for it!
The equipment in the Nieuport is:
Servo MCA3-D (two microactuators bult on one circuitboard)
RX Penta
ESC MSC 1-145 (optimized for use with a single 145mAh Lipoly cell)
Battery 1s Lipoly 145mAh
Motor/gearbox Gasparin GB32

A Bücker Jungmeister on full house (4ch) control would be too cool. What was it the Nike commercial said? Just do it!!!

Anders O
I so agree with you, Anders! But as I pointed out above, we aren't quite there yet...

I'll do it when the time's right, but of course there's no reason not to blow the Jungmeister up 150-200% and do it with inexpensive 5.4g. or 4.9g. servos. THAT'd be a neat little parkflyer IMO

Other problem is I have too much to do just on the immediate build queue. The Halberstadt, if for no other reason that my girlfriend is (rightly) wondering why I haven't built last year's Christmas present yet...then the 16.5" span Rapier solid fuel rocket/jet powered Me-163 Komet is a must-do...then...

Glenn

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Aug 28, 2004 at 01:44 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:53 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
I hear you Glenn, was just teasing you a little regarding the Jungmesiter!

A parkflyer Jungmeister for Speed 300 or brushless would be very cool indeed. This micro-stuff is great, but it has its limitations. I doubt I will ever have more than two microplanes in my fleet, because even though the CAN fly outdoors they require very calm weather so they are better suited to indoor flight. And getting time in a gym is pretty hard here, so any more than one night a week is unrealistic. Thatīs just not enough to justify the cost of many more microplanes, so most of my planes will still be Speed 300 size or slightly larger.

The ever present problem of the build-queue, Iīve got one too. Iīve got the Aviatik plans you helped me with scheduled for this winter. Before that I "must" finish my Molt Models Hellcat, because I and a buddy bought one each to fly formation, and his is ready to cover. Weīre building CDR motors for the Hellcats too, but that shouldnīt take too long. I set up the buildingboard for the Hellcat today, hopefully Iīll start construction tomorrow. I also want to finish my Aerographics Fairey Swordfish FF to R/C conversion before I start on the Aviatik. Then thereīs the MJD Models SAAB Safir that has been ready to cover for almost two years that is starting to look inviting again. I also have a scale 3m glider (fibreglass) to build, but I donīt expect to start on that until spring, since outdoorseason is coming to an end at an alarming speed!

The Comet will be interesting to read about, Iīm really looking forward to that. What runtime can one expect from these rocketmotors?

Anders O
Old Aug 28, 2004, 01:30 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
A parkflyer Jungmeister for Speed 300 or brushless would be very cool indeed. This micro-stuff is great, but it has its limitations.

I also want to finish my Aerographics Fairey Swordfish FF to R/C conversion before I start on the Aviatik.

The Comet will be interesting to read about, Iīm really looking forward to that. What runtime can one expect from these rocketmotors?

Anders O
Anders, this got me thinking about it again, so I got out the Jungmeister plans...blown up 200% gives a 26" span. PERFECT for a parkflyer, though I'd have to re-engineer the wing from the weak little Peanut structure. Not too hard, I'd say, especially using bass for the spar and stringers. The only logistic problem would be running all 4 ailerons; perhaps 2 of those 4.9g. servos, one in each lower wing with connectors for the upper wings' ailerons...?

This might well have to be my first brushless project. At 26" span that fat round fuselage should be easy to fit with R/C.

Forgot all about the Swordfish! Man, I'd love to see that done. All those streamlined struts and fairings, though...(shudder)

The Komet will be powered by the Rapier L2 and L2HP motors, the HP is shorter duration but a lot more thrust. SAM'S UK site says the FF Komet flies "like a dream" on the regular L2 motor, so I grabbed some HPs just in case it flies well and I want some more power. Same size motor tube.

Quoting SAM'S site data, The L2: Length 42mm, Diameter 11mm, Weight 6.5gms. Burn time 23 seconds, mean thrust 91 mN, peak thrust 135 mN, Total impulse 2.09 Ns. Each lot varies a little in performance although dimensions remain the same.A gain, comes in a box of 10 units with fuses. Suitable for scale models up to about 16" built light.

The L2HP: A new high powered version of the L2. This motors has a burn time of about 17 seconds but the thrust now is up to 220 to 250mn . Same weight and dimensions as standard L2.

See? It's just too cool NOT to do! Better, when I checked the Aerographics Komet plan, I found something very intriguing. The model was originally designed for FF with Jetex power...the Jetex unit is somewhat large and bulky and was designed to fit the plane's underside in the aft skid assembly. HOWEVER, the Rapier, being so much skinnier, eliminates the need for this. If I build the balsa motor tube right into the fuselage as part of the structure, the tube is almost exactly the same diameter as the scale rocket exhaust! So I can have the little rocket flame and smoke coming out of the tailpipe!

Take a look at the B&W pic attached from SAM'S site...that's the model!

As the model already has the reflex built into the airfoil, it shouldn't be too much trouble to use 2 of those 4.9g. servos, a GWS 4 channel receiver, mixed for elevons, and perhaps a single lipo cell to power the works. Even though it's less than the normal 4.8V usually required, others have told me it should be able to run 2 servos. If not, I'll simply use a light 2S lipo with a cut down GWS 50E speed controller as a voltage regulator. With the motor leads clipped, using just the receiver wire and battery wires, it'll be super light.

Since the model would likely need nose weight to counter the rocket motor in the tail, the radio gear and battery will be forward & I'll make the canopy removable with a sheet floor, retained by those little 1/8" Forcefield magnets I like.

With some light building, and the considerably lighter weight of the Rapier vs. the original Jetex, I should be able to get close to the original FF weight even with radio!

A MUST do project, I'd say

PS...Aerographics also makes a Bell X-1...FYI

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Aug 28, 2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 02:30 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Glenn, at 26" wingspan, I donīt think Iīd bother with separate servos for the ailerons. A thin "snake" from the mid lower wing to the lower ailerons, and then connections to the upper ought to be enough. If the power of a single servo to operate all four ailerons was a concern I think Iīd rather use a single slightly larger (more powerful) servo than two smaller ones in the wingpanel, but thatīs just me. The Jungmeister seems like a very interesting project, I hope youīll find the time for it "soon"!

I can promise that WHEN the Swordfish is finished, there will be pictures of it. "All" that remains to be done is setting the incidence, making the braces according to that, installing the electrics and covering and painting. I could probably have her finished within a week (Iīm "between jobs" but have some other obligations), but as I said, there are a few other projects to do before the stringbag.

On the Comet, 23 and 17 seconds may seem a bit short, but I have a feeling that sheīll be a handfull under power which will make it seem a LOT longer than that, and the glide back to earth will be far longer for sure. I also have a feeling that much longer burntime would propel her out of your sight, so itīs probably a good thing!

I converted a "Cikada" A1 class freeflight glider to R/C some months ago (came in lighter with R/C than what the rules stipulate for FF!) and used a GWS 5A (?) ESC with the leads for the motor cut off to be able to use 2s Lipo to power the equipment (suggested here on the E-Zone). Light, cheap and works very well.

I am aware of the Bell X-1, a buddy has this model converted to R/C, used as a glider piggybacked to altitude by a slimer. Heīs been talking about rockets, but not yet taken the step AFAIK.
Myself I have an unbuilt FF Hawker Hunter (forgot what manufacturer) that is meant for these rockets. Iīve been contemplating blowing it up to a larger scale and make a nice R/C Jet (pusher prop) out of it. That will have to wait some time even to JOIN the build queue though!

Anders O
Old Aug 28, 2004, 02:47 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
On the Comet, 23 and 17 seconds may seem a bit short, but I have a feeling that sheīll be a handfull under power which will make it seem a LOT longer than that, and the glide back to earth will be far longer for sure. I also have a feeling that much longer burntime would propel her out of your sight, so itīs probably a good thing!

Myself I have an unbuilt FF Hawker Hunter (forgot what manufacturer) that is meant for these rockets. Iīve been contemplating blowing it up to a larger scale and make a nice R/C Jet (pusher prop) out of it. That will have to wait some time even to JOIN the build queue though!

Anders O
Exactly my thinking, Anders...if the Komet flies, and is reasonably controllable under power or glide, it'll be completely successful as far as I'm concerned. As Einstein is reported to have said jokingly about relativity, there's a big difference between talking to a pretty girl for a minute versus the same minute sitting on a hot stove!

Is that the Aerographics Hunter? I thought that one was a 2 foot span kit designed for the K&P ducted fan...? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Glenn
Last edited by mu2freighter; Aug 28, 2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 02:52 PM
easily confused
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Checked SAM'S site; the Aerographics Hunter is 20" for DF power...looks cool, bet it'd be a hoot on lipo power but looks like it'd need a big old cheater hole in the fuse. A pusher would indeed simplify things

Glenn
Old Aug 28, 2004, 04:35 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
glenn, I've scanned the parts from my komet kit, and redrawn most of them. I'm planning on getting a set of parts lasercut, to make the construction neater/easier... mine will get a brushless ips (medusa, feigao, etc), when i finally get around to building it...

nice nieuport, we need some video of aerobatics, I've yet to see an actuator plane do aerobatics....
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan