Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 02, 2002, 10:51 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Versa pulse charger=foam cutter power supply

After having some difficulties with a transformer (no voltage out of it at all) I tried connecting some wires from the versa-pulse charger out to cutting bow with nicrom wire. At first I didn't think it would work as with the digital voltmeter in series I got no voltage at all. Directly across the leads I got 25 volts or so (24.79 or something I think it was). I then on a whim connected directly to the wire. Heat! Hmm interesting. The versapulse supports upto 5 amp charging rate so if I crank it up it cuts quite nicely Simple to use and setup plus it is safe (fused at 7.5 amps). Just something to pass on if anyone is interested in cutting foam but put off by the electronics needed to get started.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2002, 02:01 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I ended up using an $18 battery charger from Wally World for a power supply. On 12 volts, 2 amps it cuts epp quite nicely.---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Feb 06, 2002, 01:48 PM
London Ont. Canada
Joined Sep 2001
64 Posts
How did you do it?

I tried my versa pulse, put the leads on the wire and nothing.
I pushed the fast charge button but still nothing. I think it dosn't see a load on the end. I would like to try this method, please some more info on how you got your Versa pulse to heat the wire.
D.FLinn is offline Find More Posts by D.FLinn
Last edited by D.FLinn; Feb 06, 2002 at 04:27 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2002, 03:28 PM
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,022 Posts
Charger/foam cutter

I'm not familiar with the Versa Charger. Do you think I could use my Hitec 335? Do I risk frying the charger if I try?

I'm looking to try the BX-esc method posted elsewhere. THis seems easier.

JimF
JimF is offline Find More Posts by JimF
Old Feb 06, 2002, 06:10 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
First off, does the second light come on when you plug in the bow to the charger? Mine does. You have to make sure you get a decent connection to the nichrome wire (I just bent pigtails onto the power leads and twisted them around the nichrome, then wraped the free end around the bow to keep a little tension on them.). I did notice something odd, that being that I CANNOT hook up my voltmeter any how in the circuit to the cutting bow?? I tried reading amps and volts and got nada either way. It doesn't get the slightest bit warm on slow, but if you crank it up to 4-5 amps and hit the go button it will get hot enough to cut in a few seconds (1-3) . If the circuit light doesn't come on when you hook up the bow I can only suggest to check the wiring?
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Feb 14, 2002, 07:54 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Please come back to this thread. For few weeks I was thinking the same thing. I have the the Power Peak Infinity II charger and as I set the current it cranks up the voltage until the current is reached. So I thought if I hookup the 0.02in Inox wire and set the current it should work as long as the voltage required will be reasonable ... so the question is what is the resistance of the stainless steel wire (I do not have any on hand to measure it) and what Watts do I need to cut foam?
Radek Z is offline Find More Posts by Radek Z
Old Feb 14, 2002, 02:50 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
OK, experimentally confirmed ... it will not work. Will have to go the ESC way.

The PPI II does not let me to fool it - it figures after a minuter that I am cheating and tells me to go to hell ... well OK tells me short circuit ... which I have to admit to creating...
Old Feb 14, 2002, 03:25 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Well, this is definitelly a record progress for me in this hobby. This morning I have decided I have to look into the foam cutting. And in less than 12 hours I have what seems to me very nice foam cutter which costed me some $15 (OK I had to disect Wingo and get the Accu, ESC and RX out). Now I need to get the servo tester (do you know someone selling these) and figure out this template business.

I know I am wasting some bandwidth but hey - I am very excited.