SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:36 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Aug 2004
127 Posts
Question
Twin Esc's in series on one Pack?

Hi guys , I've started the early work on a new project and have decided I can finally afford to go brushless ( I know , about time ) I'm looking at a twin using two Typhoon micro 15's and was hoping to run them in series on a Saphion 2800 12v pack from Overlander. The problem is I've finally realised (courtesy of Castle) that I'm going to need two esc's to run reliably (actually has some advantages for me anyway ) but now I'm back to juggling amps and volts for everything. Would it be possible to run both esc's and motors in series from the one pack? Could I wire the Escs themselves in series to the pack? The Saphion packs available with lower cell numbers can't handle the amps I need and there's no way I can carry two and keep the design viable (Yes I know they're only 320g's!) I really don't want to look at Lipoly's.
Sorry if these seem especially dumb questions but I'd rather seem dumb than be much poorer
Zagadka is offline Find More Posts by Zagadka
Last edited by Zagadka; Aug 25, 2004 at 04:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:39 AM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
As far as the ESC goes, Yes you can run them together off of the same pack, in fact thats the only way you should,if running two packs ,one each you would never get the same draw rate , one might run stronger for less time, to many problems.
connect your ESC together to the battery and Y harrness into your RX
Set your ESC up with soft start and soft cut off with no brake

Make sure you have the correct draw rate on the pack your using
Damroadhog is offline Find More Posts by Damroadhog
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:44 AM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
Can you parallel the batteries? I don't think ESCs in series is a good idea.

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:58 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,640 Posts
You need to run them in parrallel so they see the same voltage and amp draw. Parrallel works great. I've got a 60" wing with two brushless esc's parralleled and 2 batts parralleled as well. I made an adapter >-< out of deans plugs. 2 batts to 1 central connection then to 2 esc's. They are in perfect sync when I fly it. The sound is great.

Also, I recommend castle creations esc's for twin setups. They are designed not to interfere with each other on the BEC when connected by Y harness. Otherwise you have to disconnect 1 bec with some esc's.

P.S. at 320g's are those saphions actually almost double what a lipo weighs? Might be worth it so you can double up the batts for very long run times and long battery life due to low c current draw.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Sep 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
Yes run The ESC into a Y then plug it into yor RX , pull out the red wire from only one of the ESC units, the best way is to unplug after the Y going into The RX and run an RX battery , this will power the RX and servos clean and leave the motor power alone , clean glitch free set up.

Have many happy flights using (2) CC 45 ESC with twin BL 25, Jr 1500 RX battery, (2) 11.1 V 4000 mah in parallel, BEC is not in use.

I am flying a twin motor C 160 transall with one counter rotating motor, fly's like a dream.
Damroadhog is offline Find More Posts by Damroadhog
Last edited by Damroadhog; Sep 18, 2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 04:06 PM
central coast of california, Atascadero, between San Louise Obispo and Paso Robles on hwy 101
Joined Sep 2002
544 Posts
C-130 Transall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damroadhog
Yes run The ESC into a Y then plug it into yor RX , pull out the red wire from only one of the ESC units, the best way is to unplug after the Y going into The RX and run an RX battery , this will power the RX and servos clean and leave the motor power alone , clean glitch free set up.

Have many happy flights using (2) CC 45 ESC with twin BL 25, Jr 1500 RX battery, (2) 11.1 V 4000 mah in parallel, BEC is not in use.

I am flying a twin motor C 160 transall with one counter rotating motor, fly's like a dream.
Hi. Can you send me a scematic drawing by e mail of your setup. also what esc's amps, motors, batteries.
Just purchased a 160-Transall and never had a twin.
Counter rotating motor (does this mean your running one in reverse? what prop are you useing on these?) Can you send a picture of it to me by e mail.
Thanks.
Punkey
punkey is offline Find More Posts by punkey