HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2004, 04:19 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
My wife wants a cat, not sure I do...

We were at a friend's house and they had a kitten they wanted to give away. It was about 12 weeks old, black, and awfully cute. It's litter-box trained, it's had its first round of shots (I know they need leukemia vaccinations ASAP), and they're throwing in a carry case, litter box, food and some other stuff.

I have 2 dachshunds, one of which I know will get along fine with a cat, the other one will probably be ok once he gets used to it.

It's going to be an indoor-only cat.

So what's the best way to introduce a new cat to a "dog house"?

Anything else I should know about cats?

Thanks!

John
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Last edited by jbc455; Aug 24, 2004 at 05:01 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:17 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc455
It's going to be an indoor-only cat.
John,

Cats are natural out-doorsy creatures, who like to hunt. I'd guess that keeping one indoors is a bit like keeping a bird in a cage.......

Other than that, as long as the dogs don't mind too much, a cat can be a real addition to a home!

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:42 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Cats will assume they are the authority figure in the house if you let them. The problem is worst in homes that are empty all day. They need constant reminding that they are PETS. My wife is home all day and has our cat well trained. "I AM THE QUEEN IN THIS HOUSE AND YOU WILL OBEY!!!!!"
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:36 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,595 Posts
Don't forget cats love to climb. That means they will be walking all over the dining table and kitchen cabinets after paying a visit to the litterbox.
Also, you have to keep the dogs away from the litter box. There's nothing most dogs love more than snacking on a crunchy cat t**d.

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:41 PM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
There's nothing most dogs love more than snacking on a crunchy cat t**d.
Mmmmmmm. Crunchy on the outside, chewy in the center.
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:58 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
Watch out for you aircraft, even if you put it up high, cats seem to want to climb on top of everything and more than one of my planes have been knocked to the ground from my wifes cat
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:34 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
IMHO, cats serve but one useful purpose in life.

Pellet gun targets.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:39 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingagain
Watch out for you aircraft, even if you put it up high, cats seem to want to climb on top of everything and more than one of my planes have been knocked to the ground from my wifes cat
Cats will also gnaw on prop tips, foam wheels, and balsa wood. Probably foam, too if it weren't laminated in 'glass.
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:54 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
681 Posts
Obviously Rick has never been beguiled by a cat like I have been. He might just as well take a pellet gun to my kid.

As a confirmed dog lover, I was very skeptical when the possibility came to having a cat in the house. Also, I had allergies that made the prospect even more daunting. However, I loved my fiancee and she an her cat came as a matched set so I decided to give it a go. Long story short, my wife and (now) my cat have been my soulmates for over 12 years. The cat is now 14 years old, but still is very much a kitten at heart. She is such a clown that she makes us laugh at least half a dozen times a day. And there is not a waking minute when she doesn't let us know just how much she loves us. When we come home from work she runs to greet us meowing her appreciation. And when you have had a bad day, she'll snuggle in your lap to give you comfort.

Yeah, I was once a cat cynic too, but I decided to give it a chance. And I wound up being blessed with 15 pounds of love and devotion who is one of the dearest friends that I have ever had.
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Aug 25, 2004, 01:20 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
I agree with Tim, cats need to get outside. Once did some work in a house with two declawed indoor cats. They had one purpose in their lives, to get outside. Everytime anyone went near the door, it was a battle.

Our cat goes outside, but probably never gets more than 100 feet away, and that is to visit the catnip patch in my wife's garden where she wallows in the stuff. She does eat a variety of insects and brings presents for us to the front door in the form of moles and once or twice a year, a bird. Just instinct.

I agree, unless you get a dumb one, which are unusual, they are a delight. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Aug 25, 2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:48 AM
AerialCamsByDoug@aol.com
Detroit MI
Joined Jul 2003
550 Posts
I've got two German Shepherds, and they get along FINE with cats, other than an occasional upset stomach if they eat more than one...
ZRX Doug is offline Find More Posts by ZRX Doug
Old Aug 25, 2004, 06:01 AM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Don't do it!!!!!

Hissing, spitting, flea transport that bite and scratch at your best furniture. They will quite happily sleep on your best clothes leaving fleas and hair as a mark of their gratitude.

Then there is the spectical that is "S.S.S." (s*** shute shuffle) leaving a nasty brown trail across your best carpet

Try curing them of fleas and worms and they get real nasty more hissing spitting nastiness, two minutes later when you have finished mopping up the blood from your face, hands and arms there they are, purring at your legs wanting food.

Try keeping them off a work surface.... impossible, padding around with paws that that have just covered up their latest deposit in your neighbours garden.

If you can't convince your wife ask her how she fancies every Tom in the neighbourhood spraying its maleness all over her washing basket. The stink is the very worse smell in the world.

Say goodbye to all forms of wildlife in your garden, cats are on a mission to rid the planet of anything else that moves, they don't do it out of hunger as they will plague you for food every waking moment.

There is no sincerity in their affection they just want what they can get.

Cats are just very smart, manipulative vermin that lick and swallow their own filth.

The cruelest thing of all is that suicide is their preferred method of death, I am sure that you will learn to love your cat, your wife will love it more than she loves you and will tolerate its insincerity and disgusting habits. The cat will wait for you to love it then hurl itself under a car, bus or lorry. Just ask youself who will have to go into the road and shovel up the remains, my bet is that it won't be your wife.

I nearly forgot the classic, you are going on holiday (to relieve the stress of owning a cat) the cat is booked into a cattery. The cat WILL disappear on the morning of your departure causing you a choice; drive like a madman to get to the airport on time or miss the flight, either way your cat has messed up your holiday and YOU will get the blame.
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Aug 25, 2004, 08:41 AM
Flying Saucer Mechanic
Middle River MD
Joined Dec 2000
520 Posts
My cat is afraid of the outdoors. She was acquired as a ferral kitten. She settled down in a couple of days. If any one even knocks on our door she hides. Doesn't scratch when playing does bite if she wants love but just "play bites" loves canned peas and corn, has turned up her nose at raw liver. Very strange beast indeed! Love her to death!!!
Stef is offline Find More Posts by Stef
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:10 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,929 Posts
Rick,
My cat no longer appreciates your sense of humor!

Of course he doesn't like mine either.

Cats are great. We have had cats and dogs together (different ones) for 25 years. Sometimes a dog will raise a cat and then other times a cat will raise a dog. My first cat as child raised our dog. Darned dog learned how to stand still in the bushes and catch birds. Just like Malty (the cat). He would even bring them to the door to show us, just like the cat.

My animals have always been smarter than me. They play all day and I work.

LcJ

Edit: Important Warning Forgotten Owners of Berg Receivers Beware - my cat loves to chew on the white antennas. He could care less about the boring black antennas on the Hitec 555, the Feather, or the GWS, but not so with the pristine white of the Bergs. I think my cat has expensive taste. He just loves to chew them in half.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by LcJ; Aug 25, 2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:24 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Thanks all.

My hobby stuff's in the garage, where the cat and dogs will never be allowed. That door stays closed. My wife's believes the cat can be trained to use a post instead of the furniture. Whatever. It's her furniture.

Tim,
With the number of loonies in California that shoot cats with BB guns and arrows, I find it amazing that someone would leave a beloved pet outside. I'm also considerate of my neighbor's yards and flower beds; don't want my cat using them as a toilet. It seems incredibly rude. But that's another thread.

ClipperBill,
This little guy took a nap on my lap for about an hour. Dang cute. Just not sure I want all the grief of another pet. There are already the 2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs, and a tankfull of fish to find someone to take care of when we go away.

Robert,
I won't have to worry about fleas on my indoor cat. I keep a clean house. I've also already refused to empty a litter box or clean up after the thing in any way. My wife's ok with that.

LcJ,
A black marker on those white antennas will go a long way.

Thanks again to all who replied, or have yet to reply.

John
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455