HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:21 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Good idea or BAD idea ?

I think Im doing somthing good, but I though I would ask and see if anyone points out any problems with what I am doing....plus, I dont know much about Electricity....

On my G2 I installed all the Gear and was tailheavy.. This was with a 4 cell AAA 2000Mah NImh battery pack.

I added lead until the CG came forward. The amount of lead I added was more than what the battery pack weighs. So, I made a second pack and plane to put the two in parallel. Im going to use a "Y" harness to connect them up to the rX.

Now if ther eis some problem with doing that, I think I will still leave both batteries in the plane and jsut fly for an hour on one, then switch to the other.

I knwo 4000Mah is overkill but what the heck.. might as well get somthign except Lead poisioning right?

My excuse: I have 4 digitals in the wing!
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:15 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,878 Posts
Good idea, better than lead, only bad part,when ya crash,your down 2 batteries,,ops you dont crash... lee
capt soap is offline Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:17 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap
Good idea, better than lead, only bad part,when ya crash,your down 2 batteries,,ops you dont crash... lee

Hehe I wish!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:21 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Nothing wrong with it at all.

There used to be a product available that would allow two RX batteries to be used for safety. It was also nice in that it would allow you to drain from one and automatically switch over when the voltage dropped to a certain point.

Kept you from having to peak off two batteries at the end of the day, if you had only used one battery's MAHs.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Aug 26, 2004, 06:54 AM
xtc
outrageously large member
no-where near tx
Joined Feb 2004
937 Posts
[QUOTE.

I knwo 4000Mah is overkill but what the heck.. might as well get somthign except Lead poisioning right?

My excuse: I have 4 digitals in the wing![/QUOTE]

you are right ,4000 mah IS overkill sooo if i was you i would carry both batterys but DONT use a Y harness!

by running two packs in parallel on a Y ,you still run the risk of having a problem with the harness [connections.etc] and at that point you would have no power!
by running in parallel on a harness both packs plug into the same port on the rx which makes them act as one battery,if you use two seperate ports on the rx you will at least get the double security of caring two packs[same thing as the harness just a few less things to go wrong ,every connection is one more chance of a problem .with a Y harness your relying on the one male plug into the rx ,you have all these plugs but there all dependent on THAT one plug

im not buy any means saying that you cant use a harness is just better with out,try to look at it this way;;;if you had two packs hooked in parallel then you heat shrink them all together then you have one wire going to the rx,,,is that not ONE battery?? with 4000 mah???

cut your mah and double the chances of the rx recieving 2000 mah
ANY open port on the rx WILL serve as a battery connection

buy the way,where does one find 2000 mah AAA cells?? are you sure there not AA cells???

cheers xtc
xtc is offline Find More Posts by xtc
Old Aug 26, 2004, 03:35 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
yes, they are AA cells.. sorry about that Type-o ( actually a brain fart)

I liek your idea of going into 2 rx ports.. I know that will work, but to unplug my plane, now I have to undo 2 plugs.... BTW by doing that I will nto sacrifice any Mills.. I will still get the 4000 Mah!

yee Haw!
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:31 AM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Here is my Nose install... The wings are simply servos gooped into holes.. Not much to wonder about...

THe way I look at this, No the second pack dosent shift the CG as much as Lead at the very front would, however the pack only weighs 3 Oz so that is the MOST I could be hurting myself... Probably im only carrying around an extra 2 Oz.. I defy anyone to tell a 2 oz differance in a plane like this!

The Electrical tape holding the batts in place is temporary, until i can get some nice shrink wrap for the packs and some velcro.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 01:49 PM
xtc
outrageously large member
no-where near tx
Joined Feb 2004
937 Posts
volt watch??? lol

looks great to me! im guessing that its a telescopic nose???

cheers xtc
xtc is offline Find More Posts by xtc