HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:14 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
1910 Barnwell Monoplane

OK Guys, if a lttle off the beaten path is where you want to be, here's one for you. The model is the 1910 Barnwell Monoplane. It's probably the most illusive project I've done so far -- worse then the 1913 Eastborne even
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:20 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
The Plans are Finished -- at Last.

The project actually started 3 years ago. The plans were roughed in and the model built and test flown with limited success. Since then, a few changes have been made that actually turned the Barnwell into a really nice flying model. Since then, I started working with CAD, and needed a project, so I resurected the old plans and layed them out, on CAD, just to see if it could be done.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:32 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
And it's BIG for a BYF

The model spans 46", with an area of 310 sq. in. Overall length is 28.5" and originally flew at 8.9 0z. Cover on the p-type is silk and dope.
Power is provided by a GWS "A" drive with a 10-7 prop with a 5A ESC. The model was first flow using 7, 150 mah NiCD cells and was at best, marginally powered. Later I tried an 8 cell 300 mah NiMH battery and was astounded at the increase in performance, and the duration more then doubled.
Guiedence is provided by 2, CS-10 servos and a JR, R-600 Rx with the case removed. The controls are driven by pull/pull cables exiting the fuselage in their scale location.
Just think, with a pair of CS-5.9 servos, a Berg Micro Stamp and a 340 Lipoly, this thing could be flown at 7 ounces or so, and at the speed of a good walk
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:36 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
the speed of a good walk
Pretty much the same speed as the real thig then
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:39 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
The Plans are Ready

Now, if there's anybody out there who would like to add one more "Old Airplane" to your stable, drop me a line at patscustommodels@aol.com and I'll fill in the details. The plans are on 2 sheets, with a seperate sheet layed out so you can make your own print wood, or just use the patterns and saw cut the pieces. But, if there are enough of you out there that want laser parts, I'll see about putting a short kit together.
PAT
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:42 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Vintage, Slower I think, the full size never flew all that succesfully --underpowered, a common problem in those days. After the first two flights on the model, I was sure glad I was on the outside looking in! But now, she flies Great!
PAT
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:46 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Oh dear. I am so tempted...to get those plans.

But they would just languish...are they free?
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:50 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Vintage, Unfortunately they're not free, but close, at 20 bucks,gotta' make a livin' you know.
PAT
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:00 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Still too much for an 'in case I ever get time' and especially since I can print from DXF etc.

Its that old problem - how long does it take to draft a set versus buying a set, and get EXACTLY the plane you want.

About 3-5 odd days it seems.

I forgot to say that I think the model is absolutely lovely, by the way.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:36 PM
Crazy but Loveable
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined May 2004
427 Posts
I really enjoy the pre WW1 planes. Just something about them. Maybe when the employment situation is more settled, I might pop $20 for the plans.
Beautiful plane. Glad to hear it flies well for you.
flyboy2610 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy2610
Old Aug 23, 2004, 08:50 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
1,062 Posts
Hope the Barnwell, Flyswell as it looks, could not help myself.I do enjoy your skills at designing unusual subjects.I emailed you about a Curtiss plan and its availability,got no reply Pat.?Joe.
mistairjoe is offline Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:27 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,396 Posts
I love it Pat. What a stable mate for the Eastbourne ;-) BTW my Eastbourne is putzing around nicely in spite of a few dings and patches.

I'll definitely go for a set of plans. The sun coming through a CDL wing is a very addictive sight.

I'd sure like to heat how you used the silk covering over such a delicate frame, and do tell about those wheels they look great!

sp
sperry is offline Find More Posts by sperry
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:14 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
It's really a lovely and delicate (in a visual sense) looking model Pat. If I didn't have a bazillion other models in line I'd be tempted to give her a try.

What did you mean by most illusive? Was it hard to build or something else like hard to find documentation on?
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:13 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,537 Posts
Thanks one and all for the comments, and yes, the little barnwell does fly very nicely, 1910 design or otherwize At first it was more than just a little dicey but by playing with the power, decalage, and CG it turned into a pretty cool little flyer.

Joe, I don't know how I missed you on the Curtiss, I try NEVER to let one blow by. My appologies. Drop a line at the address in this thread and I promice I'll fill you in on the details.

Sperry, the secret on these light weights is to pre-shrink the silk, do the fill with 2 coats of nitrate, then 2 more using non-taughtening beutyrate. The cover on the Barnwell is actually kind of "scale like" loose and wrinkly in all the right places.
The wheels are actually the prototype pair from the Dare wheel kits. You could also use the pre-built spoke wheels from Kieth "Sparky" Sparks. Drop a line at the address above, I'll fill in the details

Gerald, By "illusive", I refer to the total lack of documentation, either written or photographic . After much searching, Larry Cruse (FM F/F Sport column) came up with a set of free flight plans along with about 2 paragraphs of text and a really poor quality photo. All in all, it was enough to accomplish the project.
PAT
Old Aug 24, 2004, 09:25 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,933 Posts
Pat,

Another cool little plane. Gotta get it out to the field sometime. Go to the balloon park and have an old timer day!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb