SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:07 PM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
Question
Who makes the actual 'cells' used in a lipo pack?

I went to the hobby store the other day and noticed they were no longer carrying Kokam lithiums but did have ElectriFly and Thunder Power. The salesman told me they were having a number of returns on the Kokams, so they switched brands. I noticed the ElectriFly 350 pack looks remarkably similar to the Kokam 340 pack. When I mentioned this, he said that the ElectriFly was really a ThunderPower pack re-labeled. He also said that just about all the li-po cells out there are made by the same factory and then the manufacturers just slap their label on it. Does anyone know if this is true? If not, who actully makes the cells for Thunder Power, Kokam, ElectriFly, Tanic, Etec, etc?
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:20 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Enerland of So Korea - I-Rate and Poly Quest

E2Tek of So Korea - ETec

APL of Malaysia - Tanic and Apogee

Various manufacturers (Not including Kokam) - Thunder Power

Kokam - Kokam (Perhaps Worley and Electrifly)
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Aug 25, 2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:26 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Nice one Hoppy
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:54 AM
Which way is up?
Ft Myers, Fl
Joined Feb 2003
1,512 Posts
Various for Thunder power; does that mean of the listed manufacturers or various other manufacturers?
jbird is offline Find More Posts by jbird
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:03 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
That's useful info Hoppy, Thanks!

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:26 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird
Various for Thunder power; does that mean of the listed manufacturers or various other manufacturers?
I heard that of the various, one of them was from So Korea. The others may or may not be from the previously named manufacturers.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 24, 2004, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2002
314 Posts
...but which one is the best???
Bret is offline Find More Posts by Bret
Old Aug 24, 2004, 02:41 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
hoppy,

I thought in earlier discussions that Tanic and IRate cells were said to be from the same maker - has this now changed or am I just mis-remembering?
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Aug 24, 2004, 08:03 PM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
See Roland Park's posts in this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260226
kit is offline Find More Posts by kit
Old Aug 24, 2004, 09:29 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Wow, rumors galore here in this thread. Tanic and Irate are not the same cells. Irate packs are 10C rated, and Tanic packs are 12C rated. The Apogee batteries are also different than the Tanics as the Apogee's are 10.5C batteries.

I doubt you'll get anything more than rumors in a thread like this, because the only people who know what manufacturers make the packs that certain companies are selling is the owner of the company. You might try asking them, but I doubt they'll divulge that information.

The reason you won't get much except rumors is because the market is highly competitive for these batteries. The companies protect their sources because they don't want their competitors getting that info...especially the ones with highest performing batteries.

You'll find rumors and guesses galore on here, but nobody really knows except the people who are building and selling them.
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:17 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksTooth
Wow, rumors galore here in this thread. Tanic and Irate are not the same cells. Irate packs are 10C rated, and Tanic packs are 12C rated. The Apogee batteries are also different than the Tanics as the Apogee's are 10.5C batteries.
So, I guess this is another rumor

Tanic and Irate were exactly the same mah and sizes when they both came out.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:35 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Yes, the original Tanics did have some similarities, but were different in performance. There were some sizes however in the Tanics originally that were not available with the Irates, so they were not the same mah ratings and sizes. Two different brands...two different manufacturers. The new Tanics have no similarities, they are different in mah rating, they are different sizes, and they are higher C rated. I've ran both the originals and the new style now, and while the originals were outstanding and blew me away, these new ones are that much more stronger again.
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:39 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksTooth
Yes, the original Tanics did have some similarities, but were different in performance. There were some sizes however in the Tanics originally that were not available with the Irates, so they were not the same mah ratings and sizes. Two different brands...two different manufacturers. The new Tanics have no similarities, they are different in mah rating, they are different sizes, and they are higher C rated. I've ran both the originals and the new style now, and while the originals were outstanding and blew me away, these new ones are that much more stronger again.

As you said, rumors

From what I remember when they both came out they were exactly the same cell size and mah and performance in every way but they arent now..
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:49 PM
Taiwan
Joined Nov 2003
278 Posts
It will be funny to judge the cell manufacturer/source by the cell dimensions! The Li-po manufacturers has a lot different formulars and dimensions, newer or elder cells....!
jetkkman is offline Find More Posts by jetkkman
Old Aug 25, 2004, 04:01 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Remember also when you are trying to sell into competitors market, a 'pin compatible' part is an advantage.

I suspect that all manufacturers are eagerly dissecting each others cells to see why they are better, if they are, and copying madly.

Which should in time lead to them all tending towards similar performance.

Two thinks I am sensing from feedback here are

(i) The cells may be getting more fragile. Or maybe more people are (ab)using them?

(ii) the distance between claimed operating pints and safe real operating points for average peple, is increasing...

In short, unless you have read all the blurb, and take safety precautions, 3v a cell on load and 5C is the safe limit of discharge level and average continuous discharge rate.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1