HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2004, 08:49 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,195 Posts
Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum

I may not be putting this in the correct area but just had to tell you guys that if you get a chance check it out. My better half and I made a last minute desision to take a trip to DC this past weekend to be total tourists. It was great to get away and do something we don't usually get to do. Checked out a few museum's on the mall on Sat. including the A&S museum. I had not been there in 15+ years and there is alot of new stuff there since I was last there. It was cool seeing the Voyager hanging there still missing its wing tips (I guess it did not need them anyhow) plus all the other artifacts they have there, but I have to say that the Udvar-Hazy museum is unbelivable, even Alix my better half, who is by no means a certifiable avation nut was totally impressed with the museum. If you get a chance make the trip.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Last edited by LJH; Aug 23, 2004 at 09:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2004, 04:00 PM
Joined Jul 2004
13 Posts
Rutan's first Vari-Ez, a BD-5, two German WWII missiles I had never heard of (one a 2-stage antiaircraft missile...) caught my attention. Of course there are the big-ticket items like the Concorde, SR-71, and Enterprise shuttle.

They have some pretty interesting things in the corner by the Subway. The original model used for the alien ship in Close Encounters, an example of the kind of Bell jetpack used in the James Bond movie Thunderball, the "isolation" trailer used by the Apollo astronauts after they returned, and a bunch of other tidbits.

I spent about 6 hours there over two days the last time I visited DC, in May. As they get more and more objects on display, the Udvar-Hazy annex might be my favorite DC museum (it's still the A&S museum on the Mall for now).
cptomes is offline Find More Posts by cptomes
Old Aug 24, 2004, 04:30 PM
Baltimore Bwi Rr Stn, Maryland, United States
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
I live in the DC area and went to Udvar-Hazy soon after it opened. Yes I was one of those idiots who stood in line for an hour and a half to get in. Well worth the effort!! Now that you have seen Udvar-Hazy multiply it by 4 or 5 and you have the museum at Wright-Pat in Dayton. Put that bad boy on the top of your list!! They have a B-52 inside. They also have the last XB-70, Bockscar, and a list that goes on and on. Took me a whole day just to make 1 pass including the tour.
whanderson is online now Find More Posts by whanderson
Last edited by whanderson; Aug 24, 2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 05:23 PM
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2004
483 Posts
Their is a SR-71 on display in DC area now that sucks I just moved to the middle of the country I've been the the A+S musem tons of times. I kept hearing rumors they had a SR-71, but I never saw it on display. If you can ever get a chance, the A+S musem has hundreds of aircraft in some warehouse complex awaiting restoration. They let you climb INTO the aircraft, and touch interact with them as much as you want. I think you have to "know" someone to get into it though. I'm pretty sure they don't let the public into that place.

I was pretty upset I didn't get a chance to see a SR-71 on display in Cambridge England when I was across the pond. The musem had some weird hours and I couldn't get off work in time to ever make it. Was kinda upsetting.

What all do they have at Wright Patterson? Everytime I go there for work I think about stopping, but never have left enough time to really see everything.

They have a fully restored Me-262 in a tiny building right outside the main gate to Willow Grove NAS, PA I think those are fairly rare, and I was totally blown away to be passing by one day after work and see it on display! The Blackbird though still eludes me...curses!
Ping is offline Find More Posts by Ping
Old Aug 24, 2004, 06:49 PM
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
Their is a SR-71 on display in DC area now that sucks I just moved to the middle of the country I've been the the A+S musem tons of times. I kept hearing rumors they had a SR-71, but I never saw it on display. If you can ever get a chance, the A+S musem has hundreds of aircraft in some warehouse complex awaiting restoration. They let you climb INTO the aircraft, and touch interact with them as much as you want. I think you have to "know" someone to get into it though. I'm pretty sure they don't let the public into that place.

I was pretty upset I didn't get a chance to see a SR-71 on display in Cambridge England when I was across the pond. The musem had some weird hours and I couldn't get off work in time to ever make it. Was kinda upsetting.

What all do they have at Wright Patterson? Everytime I go there for work I think about stopping, but never have left enough time to really see everything.

They have a fully restored Me-262 in a tiny building right outside the main gate to Willow Grove NAS, PA I think those are fairly rare, and I was totally blown away to be passing by one day after work and see it on display! The Blackbird though still eludes me...curses!
There are 2 SR-71's (one is the SR-71 fore runner) at Wright-Pat along with a B1, B2, ME262, F86, twin mustang, F111, F15, F16 and just about anything else you can think of. Plan a day for wright-Pat it is a must do!!

The Smithsonian facility you mention is the Garber restoration facility in Silver Hill, MD. They have had an open house every spring. You could tour it on request. It is being moved to U-H in Dulles, VA. And no you could not do touchy feely with the stuff at Garber. When you enter U-H you see the SR-71 with the shuttle Enterprise right behind it. To the left is the Enola Gay, Dash 80, and Concord. When I first saw these beauties it brought tears to my eyes.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:07 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
There are Blackbird's in a couple of places. Wright Pat has one (or a YF-12A- I have trouble telling them apart) as does the Intrepid Museum in NYC, plus Eglin AFB aka the Air Force Armaments Museum in the Florida panhandle- about 2 hrs away from Pensacola. The AF museum has an F-105 as well as several early jets that aren't so common like a Voodoo. MY grumble about the AF museum in Eglin is that they have all these wonderful airplanes, but the history about them isn't so accessible- which is what the Smithsonian generally does very well. The Intrepid museum is probably even better in a number of ways than the Smithsonian though- it's much more interactive although not quite as wide ranging. I haven't been to Wright Pat in decades, but when I was there- it had the same problem as the AF museum in Eglin- a wonderful collection for the airplane nut, but with too little information to really hook the more casual visitor. I'm rpetty certain that Wright Pat has the most extensive museum collection of airplanes that I've ever seen- and I've been to Le Bourget in Paris (another wonderful museum) as well as Duxford in the UK- where like Rhinebeck- they fly 'em occasionally.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Aug 24, 2004, 08:17 PM
Nebraska
Joined Apr 2002
598 Posts
Ping,

You said you moved to the middle of the country. You can't get much closer to the middle than where I live.

There is a nice display of the SR-71 in (near) Omaha Nebraska at the Strategic Air Command Museum. The plane is suspened at an angle, inside of a large glass atrium.

http://www.sacmuseum.org/
stevem1928 is offline Find More Posts by stevem1928
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:42 PM
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2004
483 Posts
Thanks everyone I have no reason to pass up a wright pat trip now. I wonder if they'll let me climb in the cockpit Gotta find an excuse to go now....
The musem at wright pat is not on the base correct? I start seeing signs for it well before the actual base starts wasn't sure where it actually was. Wright Pat now is kinda spread all around with several gates on either side of a major highway. Kinda confusing
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:58 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
Wright-Patterson is a must, but another great one not mentioned here is the Canadian Museum in Ottawa...got a Lanc, Me-263, Fairey's, Annie's, Voisin, and alot of WW1 types....you can get very close and personal with many of them. Plan on 2 days at W-P, and 1 to 2 days for Canada as Ottawa also has several other great museums besides being a very pleasant city to visit.
Rhinebeck is probably the best of its kind in the world, as it run more to the nature of what really occurred in flying years ago...lots of oil streaked planes and stuff piled up here and there with the grass not trimmed too neatly. It's the way I remember the old airfields back in the 50's
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:12 PM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
I visited Udvar-Hazy a few months ago, fabulous place, definitely a once a year place, especially since im only about an hour and a half away.

here's some pics!

-barrett
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:20 AM
Joined Oct 2003
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
Thanks everyone I have no reason to pass up a wright pat trip now. I wonder if they'll let me climb in the cockpit Gotta find an excuse to go now....
The musem at wright pat is not on the base correct? I start seeing signs for it well before the actual base starts wasn't sure where it actually was. Wright Pat now is kinda spread all around with several gates on either side of a major highway. Kinda confusing
Ping,

The museum is near the main gate. Follow the road parallel to the railroad tracks. There are some missles and aircraft on static display outside the museum - you can't miss it. Also, check out the Wright's visitor center and Huffman (sp) prarie where the Wright's did most of their non-Kitty Hawk testing. There is a guided tour of the museum, well worth the time. Also, get a ticket to go on base and tour the experimental and presidential aircraft. When I get my video capture card I will post some pics from my camcorder.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 01:56 AM
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2004
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whanderson
Also, get a ticket to go on base and tour the experimental and presidential aircraft.
I'm in the Air Force so I won't have a problem getting on base I guess that tour your speaking of starts at the visitors center? I also assume were talking about the base ops side and not the BX/Commisary side of the base? I've gotten lost everytime I've been to Wright Patt...I'm only stationed 2 hours from there and they are our active duty servicing base, so I can take GOV's over there on occasion. Next time I'll be sure to leave with enough time to take a tour of the musems while I'm there.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 02:28 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
This thread was started about the Udvar Hazy museum so I will try to keep my comments focused on it. There is either a replica or the original Langley-Aerobastard hanging from the ceiling in all of it's grotesque glory. It made me happy to see it there in the U.S.'s number 2 museum with the Wright machine in the A&S. It is great space to show airplanes I loved it. The parking fee is outrageous. I think it would have been cheaper to take a cab from Baltimore. If you get back there by all means take a day and go through it. It is stupid to compare museums against each other. I have never spent a bad minute in any one of them. The museum in Chicago has the only stuka in the western hemisphere. I have gone to that museum just to see that plane. It was great! Also check out.. the seattle paine field (great)
Evergreen collection in Mc minnville, oregon(great) Howard Hughes's H1.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:45 AM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
um, 12 bucks a car and no admission fee? thats less than going to a movie for two, and the entertainment value is probably higher.

-barrett
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:04 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Sometimes it is easy to forget that all those airplanes belong to you. They don't belong to some rich suit or to a big company. They are not on display as a generous gift of the "Spencer Dweedle Trust" They are there because WE decided to put them on display. Charging people money to see their own stuff has always been hard to sell to the public. For the time being it is a parking fee. Still a great museum.. They have a crosley flea and a pefect arado bomber.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Last edited by Eljimb0; Aug 25, 2004 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)