HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:02 PM
fortune favours the bold
Vancouver Boundary, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
MY 2200 watt E-raven flys !

Hey all,
Successfully completed my conversion of a Century Raven to E-power. I know I am not the first one to do this but mine is a little different. I designed my own CF sideframes to accommodate the motor mount and High mounting of the batt packs. Many thanks to Mark at MJP Carbon for cutting them for me.
Details:
10s2p Tanic 5000 packs
Tango 45-08 motor
Hacker 77-O-heli ESC
Futaba 9650 Digital servos
GY 401
Rotortech 615 main blades, 95 tails

On paper this combo should be good for 2200 watts. I will have to get the wattmeter on it to confirm. Total weight at this point is 8 Lbs 3 Oz. This is using a 1700 Nicd rcvr pack. I have a Sbec on the way that will allow me to lose the Rcvr pack and get the weight under 8 Lbs.
Flew it for the first time tonight. I also fly a glow powered raven so I have a good unit of comparison. Power is at least as good as the glow version. I am surpised at how much better it handles. I attribute this to the higher CG(compared to the glow version) from mounting the batt packs as high as possible. Rolls and flips require less collective input to maintain altitude. Just flew around for 5 mins to try it out , put 2800 mah back into the packs on recharge.
This is a great flying machine that builds on the good design of the head and tail sytem of the Raven.

Heres a link to a video I shot today.
http://www.rotorworks.net/viewtopic.php?p=3607#3607
gjestico is offline Find More Posts by gjestico
Last edited by gjestico; Sep 26, 2004 at 11:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:16 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
Very nice! I love these conversions. You are running 2 5000mah 10 cell packs for a total of 10000mah hours correct? That should give you some nice flight time. What pinion gear are you running? Do you know what your head speed is? Be sure to post some video if you can. My eHawk is mostly Raven sized now and weighs about 8lbs all up. I think I pull somewhere around 700watts max at around 1750rpm headspeed. I find performance pretty good. This is with 20 cell gp3300 nimh. I am putting some lipos on it that weigh half the weight. That should make my performance quite a bit better.

Brendin
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:24 PM
Seattle, Washington, United States
Joined Mar 2003
1,612 Posts
Brendin, I believe he is running 2500 cells in parallel so that means 5000mah total. I use these same packs on my 9lb joker and they rock!

Tabb
tabbytabb is offline Find More Posts by tabbytabb
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:51 PM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
That's very cool! I'd like to see what it looks like with the batteries off. Looks kinda Joker-like...all you'd have to do is flip the motor upside down. Looks like it might actually be possible.
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:50 PM
fortune favours the bold
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
I had thought about flipping the motor up initially, but unless a fairly large pinion (>26 tooth) is used, the upper frames must be trimmed too much in the area where the ccpm brackets mount, to clear the motor. There is a structural frame member in that area that wouldnt take to too much trimming. A smaller OD motor (like a hacker)might let you get away with it, but they need an even smaller pinion than the 18 tooth used here.
Greg
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:40 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,452 Posts
Greg,
Sweeeeet.......! What does a custom frame like that from Mark set you back if you don't mind me asking? I've got some similar work I'd like to do in mind.

Thanks,
Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:55 PM
fortune favours the bold
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
[QUOTE=CryHavoc]Greg,
Sweeeeet.......! What does a custom frame like that from Mark set you back if you don't mind me asking? I've got some similar work I'd like to do in mind.

Thanks,
Mike[/QUOTE

The price is very reasonable, but depends on a large part on the quality of your electronic drawing files. I have made my files in such a manner that Mark can import them into his CAM software with very little effort and start making tool paths right away. He tells me some oher files he recieves are not so clean requiring major work just to clean up the geometry before tool paths can be generated. A file may look good in your CAD softaware but may not export/import cleanly
Greg
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:03 AM
Taiwan
Joined Nov 2003
278 Posts
I think one very effective way to cut more weight is to do some cutting work on the canopy! You can lost a hafl LB I think! Or just simily to get a EP sweet 16 conpy modified for Raven, it wieghts below 0.5 pound!
jetkkman is offline Find More Posts by jetkkman
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:17 AM
fortune favours the bold
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkkman
I think one very effective way to cut more weight is to do some cutting work on the canopy! You can lost a hafl LB I think! Or just simily to get a EP sweet 16 conpy modified for Raven, it wieghts below 0.5 pound!
Be pretty hard to lose a half pound of this canopy. if i did I would have to tie it down to keep it from floating away
Hmm 6.5 oz, = .4 lb. sounds like this canopy might be a "lightweight upgrade" for your EP sweet hehe.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:06 PM
fortune favours the bold
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
Updated first post with video link.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:33 PM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
Greg:
Your conversion looks perfect and seems to function perfectly.
That video was great, your 3d flying awesome.
Can you share your HM controller setting?
I'm interested in the mode your using?
Thanks
James
Lv2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Lv2Fly
Old Sep 27, 2004, 04:14 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,769 Posts
nice job, greg. 8lbs is pretty good for a 50 conversion. i have a predator, and i really like the way the century heads fly.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Sep 27, 2004, 04:29 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,796 Posts
Very Nice Greg.

I like the Hawk gear (good for 4 oz off).

Where did you get the 18t pinion?

I don't think a diff canopy would do the Raven justice. I love the look of mine!

Fred
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Sep 27, 2004, 08:06 PM
fortune favours the bold
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
James :
I can't remember exactly which setting I used on the Hacker ESC. I set it to what they recommended in the manual for timing and frequency for the tango motors. After I changed it, I noticed the 5 "beeps" it makes after arming are now each 3 beeps, as opposed to single beeps it made before.
The motor runs cool as cucumber. Thanks for the complements on flying. I usually go lower than that, I am still getting used to this machine. It is more nimble than the glow version so I have to adapt to that before I cut the grass during flips hehe.

Ben :
I got this thing on a postal scale the other day and it is exactly 8.2 Lbs all up. Same weight as a glow raven with tank half full
Yes I have Predators too, glow powered, they fly great. The Raven/Falcon head is identical in geometry to the Pred, just scaled down a little. Your conversion was one of the things that got me thinking about E-heli conversions.

Fred:
I had a hard time sourcing pinions. I finally found one with the right tooth count at SDP, but it had the wrong hub size. I bored out the hub, pressed the gear on my own hub to fit the tango shaft. I am a machinist and have made my own gears in the past, If I get some demand for a conversion kit I would probably just make the gears completely myself.
Yeah I really like the looks of the raven/falcon/hawk canopies. The glow version of the machine perorms so well I did the most of my daily flying with it. Now this machine has all the good points of the Raven and it handles better. If I just had a better field charging rig it might become my main machine.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:46 PM
in a fog ...
Victoria BC
Joined Dec 2002
471 Posts
welcome to the smokeless side, greg.. nice conversion.. are you bringing it to Victoria so I can (ahem) 'try' it??
Lost Horizon is offline Find More Posts by Lost Horizon