HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:10 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,320 Posts
using a tugboat as retreaval

I was wondering, how do you use a tugboat for retreaval of a staled boat? I am used to the fishing pole and tennis ball, but other than those, are there any other ways, cheaply?

Thanks,
Erik
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:29 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,134 Posts
I sail my destroyer, or now my fire boat, out to the stranded vessel. I contact the boat to be recovered at the center of gravity(or the center of rotation) and push the boat in on the bow of the recovery ship.

It is more difficult to recover a ship, when the recovery vessel is under fire by three enemy destroyers, and the ship that you are trying to recover is a 6'-6"(1981mm) Light Cruiser.
This can be even harder, when you have to get both ships through a 2'-6"(762mm) gate. We were painfully successful....

(more on that story when we get the results of the 2004 combat nationals posted)

Umi
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:18 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
The Electric Go-For

if i was to make a retrieval boat i would make a river towboat or tug.

or simple, two foam hulls with pvc pipe conectin them.
_James_ is offline Find More Posts by _James_
Last edited by _James_; Jul 22, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:12 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,320 Posts
how would you get the two foam hulls out there in the first place?
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Aug 24, 2004, 04:24 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
Just a simple, cheap 2 channel radio with a on off motor switch and a rudder.

James.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:57 AM
Burnley, Lancashire, England
Joined May 2004
65 Posts
Model Boat Rescue Device

Hi guys,
Hope you dont mind me intruding on your conversation, but I thought this device I made up for someone might be useful and relevent to your discussion ??
It's simply made up of scrap materials found in most garages/workshops. I used water pipe insulation for the floatation on mine ((The type with the split in that folds round water pipes)).
Its extremely simple to use, when a boat needs rescuing, you enlist the help of another model ((Im assuming here that there usually IS another model on the water at the same time here ie a friend !!!))
The device floats on the surface and the second model simply drives into it and moves it forward. You then "catch" the model requiring rescuing, in the other side and sail it back to shore.
Hey presto - one saved model.
We have used this device for many years at my local model boat club and it works everytime believe me !!
Hope this is of use guys,
Nige
English Nige is offline Find More Posts by English Nige
Old Sep 04, 2004, 04:59 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
Good idea Nige,

does the rescue boat need to have a little left rudder to stop it going around in circles???

James
Last edited by _James_; Sep 04, 2004 at 05:09 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 05:19 AM
Burnley, Lancashire, England
Joined May 2004
65 Posts
Retriver

Hi James,

Only a little, the drag is very slight. The important thing is that it can be thrown (Literaly!!) in the back of the car and simply sit there until needed. As 9 times out of 10 I sail with other people, there's usually always someone around with another boat to act as a rescuer.

The good thing about it is that you dont need a dedicated rescue boat - any model that happens to be there can use this device to retrive a stranded model (Or even the local kids football on occasions !!).
Nige
English Nige is offline Find More Posts by English Nige
Old Sep 20, 2004, 05:01 PM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
I listed these pictures of an easy retrieval rig in the scale thread, but got some guy who went off on some model warfare thingy- hard to explain cause I can't figure out how he picked up on that while talking about saving boats either..........

Thought y'all would appreciate these pics.......

Bob
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:15 PM
Excess Ballast
Prior Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2004
34 Posts
The folks at the Edina pond have a small fleet of what they call "Polo" tugs. At some point in the clubs history, there was a one design tug that many people built to play a version of water polo.

As any good group of good natured modeling enthusiasts would, the one design didn't last long, different scales were used, etc...but the boats are still around and tend to be great at pushing other boats around. I believe George Pfeifer's is a variant of this design.

With some padding on the front these tugs do a good job pushing other boats around.

For sail boats like Fairwinds, Seawinds, etc, a rope with a tennis ball works well too. Do a couple circles around the stalled sail boat and tug it in to shore.
andyzib is offline Find More Posts by andyzib
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:11 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
Here's some pictures of my 20 inch tug, with its 9 foot towline. The best length for the towline is 4 - 6 times the towboat length. Shorter boats with a tight turning radius can use a shorter towline than longer boats with a larger turn radius.

I have used this style of towline in several SSMANA regattas to salvage disabled vessels.The floats are foam fishing floats. The larger yellow was cut in half so I could make two towlines. The hook is brass rod soldered together.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Jul 05, 2006, 03:31 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
using celestia, I pull up along side the beam of the stricken vessel and move bodily sideways, using the cross keel thrusters to push the stricken boat home, different levels of thrust on the bow or stern thruster allow me to steer celestia
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jul 05, 2006, 08:03 PM
Harrisburg Intl, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
379 Posts
you could get your friends to all put a plate of metal on teh bow of the vessel, and get a boat that you would use as your tug and put Rare Earth magnets on teh stern, thus reversing into teh bow of teh dissable boat will sitck to the tug and then you can pull off.
Jbiker31691 is offline Find More Posts by Jbiker31691
Old Jul 05, 2006, 08:52 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
PVC pipe, foam pipe insulation as Nige said above...

Anything that gets the stricken craft safely back wins...
Jim Duda is offline Find More Posts by Jim Duda
Old Jul 08, 2006, 09:16 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
looks good jim, but thats only good for models that will fit inside. what about having one that is like a pi bar, so called because it is shaped like the math symbol Pi, the boat goes between the two verticals, and the cross piece goes along the beam of the boat. then with gentle movement the boat is brought beam-on to the shore L shape sections grafted to the cross bar go under the hull and to above the bar act as buffers
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501