HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2004, 02:15 AM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,807 Posts
FlyRC mag PA-18 Super Cub pull out plan build

This is my first electric and my first try at scratch building. I thought I would try the pull out plans from the October FlyRC mag as Cubs just fly well. I have a GP 60 size with a Saito 91 and just love the way it flys and have hopes that this small electric will share the same characteristics.

So far I have had the plans enlarged, cut out the templates and then glued them to poster board and once again cut them out. Not all of the lightening holes have been trimmed out yet.

I have no clue when it comes to electric power, all those numbers seem so confusing to me so seeing as I have a SS that I never did complete I guess I will use all the gear from it for the PA-18....I do have the 350c motor. Although the "engine" does not seem that big or powerful to me I am thinking that with all that wing area it will do just fine.

If any seasoned scratch builders have any tips along the way, please feel free to pass along your help

Cheers for now

Mike
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:20 AM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
good luck,
won't claim to be a "seasoned" scratch builder...I saw these plans and thought I would get a copy of that magazine...

I'll check in on your progress from time to time....a shame u never finished that slow stick....
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
Old Aug 22, 2004, 03:44 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,612 Posts
Keep us posted with your progress. I just went and had the plans enlarged at Kinkos. I hope to get started in this in a couple of weeks.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:04 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
I just got the magazine and saw the plans in it. How much did you guys enlarge the plans?
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:07 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,392 Posts
the plans say to enlarge 250%

i usually play with it until the little rule on the plans match a real ruler.
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:45 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
This is the one that they are giving prizes for on best build I believe. Can't wait to see progress and am looking hard at trying my hand at it as well.
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
Old Aug 23, 2004, 06:50 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
I'ld love to build it too but have gotten spoiled with laser cutting. Thought about scanning the images into CAD and then making my own laser cut kit. It would only take the time and a few dollars but would save a lot of headaches!
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:01 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,807 Posts
Well I can see why kits cost a bit as there is a lot to scratch building! Someone else mentioned what I already noticed and that the plane shown in the article has burn marks in the window frames so I am sure that some parts were laser cut.

Anyway, I have cut out one fuse side. I glued a 3" and a 4" peice of 1/16" balsa sheeting together and then cut out the one side.....this is not a fast build when you work full time, plus as mentioned, this is my first attempt at scratch building.
Last edited by Canada Goose; Aug 23, 2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:03 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,807 Posts
BTW....at 250% enlarging the plans are exactly the right size.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 09:53 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Mike,

Happy to see a thread starting on this one, looks like you are off to a good start! I just got my plans enlarged too, but it will be a while before I can get started on it. Probably a good project to take up part of next winter.

I am not a scratch builder yet either, but I suspect the main thing you will need is lot's of patience to take your time and do things right. Your 350 motor should fly it, if you use enough battery cells, (7 minimum), but you might do better, if you can afford it, to use a brushless with a little more power and a litlte less weight.

Thanks for doing this thread, and keep it coming, we'll be watching with interest!

Happy Building!!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:33 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
PA-18 Super Cub

Canada Goose,

Things are looking good!! I think Cubs are loads of fun. I don't have the mag, so what is the finished wing size? I may have to get it to get the plans!!

Please keep the pics coming,

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:06 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerdoger
Canada Goose,

Things are looking good!! I think Cubs are loads of fun. I don't have the mag, so what is the finished wing size? I may have to get it to get the plans!!

Please keep the pics coming,

Roger
The wingspan is just shy of 48" so I would think that it would be a typical floater with a large wing area. Tonight I was able to get both fuse sides cut out which I thought was good for one night. I need to get some lite ply for some of the formers so till then I will work on the ribs.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:45 AM
Deer Park, Tx, USA
Joined Feb 2001
422 Posts
Lookin Good! You're a lot further along than I am. I have cut out ribs and one fuse side. I'm thinking that you want 1/16 ply, not lite ply for the formers. All the lite ply I have ever used before was not nearly strength of the plywood I have used, there is a difference in strength.

Unfortunately (?), I guess everyone is on a PA-18 trip now, Flying Models has a build for one that promises to be much lighter and somewhat smaller in their latest issue. It claims to use a lite stick power system to fly it, I'm not sure what will be necessary to fly the one we're building now. The smaller one might have been a better choice for me. (Sigh) I guess person could always build both (?!)
Russell2 is offline Find More Posts by Russell2
Old Aug 24, 2004, 09:42 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
This will be my first attempt at building a balsa airplane so this thread will be very valuable to me. I have only built GWS foam airplanes before so forgive me if I seem to ask some very basic questions. My first question is about the glue needed to put everything together. I have 5 minute epoxy, will I be able to use it or is there something else that is required?

thanks
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old Aug 24, 2004, 11:00 AM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
Epoxy is heavy!
Use Thin CA (super glue, cyano etc), you can use a plyurethane wood glue, but it adds hugely to the build time. CA dries almost instantely.
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles