HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:04 PM
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2000
549 Posts
Nachman,
That is such a great model that I wouldn't even worry if it doesn't fly, it looks so cool, what more could you want

Good luck with the (latest rev.) maiden

Grant
schoey is offline Find More Posts by schoey
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:06 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
If it flies well, are you going to kit it? I would love to try to fly something like that but lack your dexterity (and tooling).
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2004, 09:14 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Nachman

I did not realize how big the fan was.
Maybe the 3 ohm motor would be ok
for a smaller fan maybe not.

Good luck on your flight.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Oct 02, 2004, 12:58 PM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
Well, it didn't go so well . First two attemps ended in almost immidiet crash, which were easly repaired. On the third trial I got a hang on the controls ( never had actuators before and was over controlling it at the beginning ). It could maintaine level flight for a few seconds before it landed. Subsquent trial were the same. I think to much wing loading (0.12gr / cm2) is the problem. I'm not given up and I'm going to make a new one with much less wing loading, however, this time I'll make a profile version first, and only after it flies I'll spend the time on a scale look. Will update.
nachman is offline Find More Posts by nachman
Old Oct 02, 2004, 02:16 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
That is sad news. Something that good looking and built with such obvious love and care should fly.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2004, 02:53 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Well, you could retrofit a Rapier rocket motor in there and make it into a BD-5J. That should get it flying!
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Oct 03, 2004, 03:49 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Make all your power wires as short as possible.. that might make the diffrence... Increase rpm by going with a 3blade rotor...increase the wing area..could temp in more trailing edge to find the amount of wing you will need...your leads are way to long... I bet if you clean it all up your going to see this one fly and wont need a new plane..... all that wire is weight and resistance.
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Oct 03, 2004, 07:02 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Remember your static amps and thrust will change in flight.. alot.... ma go down and thrust goes down..aaack horrible isnt it. so prop to suit infight loads...thrust at speed reduces.. it's a fine line between flying and sinking .. your almost there keep up the fantastic work!
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
I'll take all of your addvices, thanks, h m m m, exept for the rocket idea. It will be cheaper just to step on it . Eventually I hope I'll get there. I'm used to failures when trying somthing new ( micro airplanes vs. micro helis for me ), but it just make things more challenging, and I like it that way.
Old Oct 05, 2004, 02:45 AM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
such great work! I can't wait to hear when you get it working. I love the little fans - if you ever make 'em available to the general public, PLEASE let us know, they're too cool!
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:09 AM
C130H rules !!!
France, Centre, Boulay-les-Barres
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
Any updates ?
Bryce From Nice is offline Find More Posts by Bryce From Nice
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:11 AM
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
The second plane was to fragile and broke quite quickly. I did try to improve the fan by changing the motor to the long 6mm motor by Plantraco ( the "Rosy motor"). It is a little better then the Didel 4.5 ohms I was using. Then I've made a new stator to hold the 7mm motors. I used the Blue 1.8 ohms one and it does provide much more thrust even though the motor is not fully loaded by this fan. I also tried the orange motor on two cells up to 6.5 volts. That provides about 11 - 12grams of thrust and that litle fun realy screems. The motor didn't have a heating problem, but it just not built to turn so fast and the coreless coil lost it's roundness ruther fast. I want to make a five blades fan but I'm not sure about being able to machine it. In any case I think there is a good chance for the plane to fly with the Blue motor and the fan as is. I just have to build a new plane.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:35 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
Maybe something like Alfredo Rubio built. A profile Panther foamy. Low drag, low weight.

One cell indeed is a bit on the low side, isn't it? Two cells weigh more... Dilemma

Dave
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2005, 08:00 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Nachman- I've been meaning to ask how the fans are going! Wish I could say I've used mine long enough, but I havn't had much luck with my battery situation (but Christmas is around the corner!) I'll keep you informed on the use of the best 6mm motor setup in my bunch!
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P