SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:35 PM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
BD-5 microjet attempt

Hi

First, this is the first airplane I'm trying to built that is not a kit, and I have only minor experiance in airplanes at all. But reading through this forum makes you feel you're gaining everyons else experience (at least the theroretical one ). It seems more appropiet to post it here and not in the jet section because it's going to be powerd by one or two 6mm pager motors.
The whole thing started when I found out that a prop I've made for another project and didn't match 4mm motors, actually works great with 6mm motors in a duct-fun arrangment. The BD-5 is one of my favorite airplane, so I decided to try and make one. I've started from a rubber powerd plain I found in RcGroups, made by Nick De Carlis and scaled it down. The wing was scaled 50% to 9.3" and the body 40%. I've made a 3D solid view in a CAD program with some changes and procided from there. I took many pictures along the way. I'll post some, and any building remark will be apricieted. The main frame came up 5.5grams havy and has to be rebuilt, this time with lighter balsa and minor changes, and should end up around 2.5 -3 grams. This model I'm going to use for test flights with motor control only.
nachman is offline Find More Posts by nachman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:40 PM
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
The duct fun has a 23mm prop and with a 6mm motor weights 2 grams. Thrust with 4.5 ohms motor is arround 2.5 - 3 grams, and with 3 ohms motor it's 2.5 to 3.5 grams.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
Wings panels and actually all the airframe were made from 0.5mm balsa ( which had to be machined from 1mm stock, was very hard to do ). That balsa, I know now, was one of the haviest that can be found. I now already have balsa that is one fourth lighter and that was also custom cut at the supplier down to 0.45-0.5mm and also down to 0.3-0.25mm.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:55 PM
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
In making the main frame I use flat panels. I had hard time trying to hand carve the nose cone and gave up trying and CNC machined it from four sheets of balsa glued together. I had to use it again for making mold for vacumed forming the canopy.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 04:06 PM
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
And the final result : 5.5 grams havy main frame & canopy + 2 grams Duct-Fun + 1.9 grams 60mah lithume + 2.4 grams JMP combo receiver + wires and some wood for positiong stuff. Came out to 13.6 grams.
Next, I'm going to add another Duct-Fun side by side and see how it goes. Right now it has marginal thrust for flying, and it's actually more like an extended glide with the power on. I had bad wind condition when I tested it.
I'll continue next week and update.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 05:36 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Amazing work, the fan unit is fantastic. It looks like steriolithography!!

Wow, hope it works out!!

Graham

I still want details of your CNC set up!!
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Aug 21, 2004, 06:58 PM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
I agree!!! Very nice!!! How did you make the Duct Fan cowl and blade? I love the BD-5!!
Pete P. is offline Find More Posts by Pete P.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:14 PM
RIP THE BRING!
Rhode Island
Joined May 2004
880 Posts
wow nice fan, and that small of a jet should look insane when its done. im very impressed. drool
devilscries is offline Find More Posts by devilscries
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:46 PM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Lansing Capital, Michigan, United States
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
wow that is amasing looks great, i about did a back flip
kase_kopf is offline Find More Posts by kase_kopf
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:32 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Ohh now that rocks!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 22, 2004, 03:05 AM
Joined Nov 2002
288 Posts
Graham
The machine is basically the Wabco 1200 German made milling machine. Through their dealler in my country I orderd it with some upgrades. The main motor is 2KW and turns the spindle from 0 to 7000 RPM. The table is 200 X 700 mm and can travel 250mm x 500mm ( vs 200 x 500 on a standard model ). It was orderd with ball screws installed, timming pullys, and manual hand wheels ( I wanted to be able using it manually as well). I also add a re-enforcing back plate to the vertical column for added ridgety. I retroffited the machine for CNC operation myself. The motors are 2NxM API brushless servo motor ( API compony was since taken over by another compony which no longer makes this motor ). The controller is made from JRKERR 3ph motion control & driver cards and the software a free example by JRKERR for making a 3 axis milling machine. The softwear has everything you could ever want in a prototyping machine. It also gives the option to free the motors and works manually ( and get x y z digital readings ). I'd recomand it to anyone. For a small machine such as Sherline and using brushed pitman servo motors you can get away with only 1000$ for the retrofit. I've spend about 4000$ on it becouse of the big motors I've used, and the wabco machine with all it's upgrades and a cooling system costs around 8000$. The program for generating G codes is Master Cam.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 06:36 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Nice, we have a Wabco in my department. Unfortunately it was CNCed by wabco. It uses stepper motors with step and direction which would be fine if each axis had it's own direction pin :O

I have all the parts collected for a serious CNC router now, THK bearings, ballscrews etc. Seriously considering servos and geckodrives but will check out JRKERR more carefully.

Graham

sorry this is off topic really
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:24 AM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
woah thats reallllllly nice

i can only make stick planes and BUMPs

beanoman
beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman
Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Very Kewl have you Tried to Tweak The Fan any to get more Thrust

Aerogel
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:12 PM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
Is your cowl right above the canopy? You might want to make it a tad more aerodynamic. I'm sure that'll improve thrust a tad. Also, have you tried a 7mm Duct-fan? Sorry if it seems like i ask 'have you...7mm...?' alot, it's just that I'm very interested in them :-)
Pete P. is offline Find More Posts by Pete P.