HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2002, 10:22 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,504 Posts
HELP---Want to re-inforce wing for geared Endo

I have a Dymond Crazee that I hope to put a 3:1 gearbox, an Endoplasma motor and prop for a 40 amp draw. P-calc tells me this combo on 8 cells will give me 48.8 oz of in-flight-thrust and a 45 mph prop pitch speed. Should turn my 49oz Crazee into a pink streak, but I have a feeling the Crazee wing was not designed for this much stress.
The wingspan is 64 inches, two piece with aluminum joiners. I plan to make it a one piece wing glueing the joiners in and adding some more re-inforcement. I do have a 32inch 3/16 CF rod that I can install by slotting the ribs just behind the "D" tube. Or, I also have some CF tape that I can install by stripping away some covering and CA'ing to the bottom sheeting in the spar area. This would be much easier.

Would welcome any advices.

MODEL AVIATION: Helping to keep old people out of nursing homes for over 60 years.
RonJ is online now Find More Posts by RonJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2002, 10:10 PM
San Diego, CA. USA
Joined Nov 2000
585 Posts
Ron J

Bill Glover has a Virage that is a European version of the Crazee. He has an Endo in it and a gearbox close to 3:1. He has a lot to say about it if you can find it. Search for "Bill Glover" and Virage.

I've got a Crazee but I haven't flown it yet. I glued the wing together and put some fiberglass on the root top and bottom. Bought some carbon fiber but haven't used it. Plan on running Endo, 3:1. Hope to fly it soon.

What prop are you using?

Balin
Balin is offline Find More Posts by Balin
Old Feb 02, 2002, 09:16 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,504 Posts
Balin

P-calc indicates a 10.5 x 5 folder will get me the 38.8 amps and 48.9 oz of in flight thrust. I plugged in several other prop combinations and this one is a clear winner. Have not actually tested the P-calc figures in flight but they sure look good on paper.

RonJ
RonJ is online now Find More Posts by RonJ