SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2002, 06:48 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
thermal & aerobatic sailplane in one ?

any ideas for an electric thermal sailplane that can do some hotliner type performance ? I know i'll get bored with a pure thermal ship after a while and start exploring its aerobatic abilities.
It will be powered with a geared car motor and 8x1700CP cells.
the only candidate I found so far is the "Jerry", however I'm not sure about its thermal performance. also heared that it has a nasty tip stalling tendancy.

thanks, Oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2002, 08:40 AM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
I know it's different strokes for different folks but TD is the only thing I do not get bored with! Powered flight, for me, is a series of repetive actions, i.e loops, rolls, go-fast, etc (Note: I am NOT putting anyone down that like this!). Every thermal flight is different. I have to read the plane... was that a thermal I just flew through? ...is that buzzard got something over there?

It's the uniqueness of each flight that makes TD special.

Just my opnion... I could be wrong!

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Old Feb 01, 2002, 09:54 AM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Seay
I know it's different strokes for different folks but TD is the only thing I do not get bored with! Powered flight, for me, is a series of repetive actions, i.e loops, rolls, go-fast, etc (Note: I am NOT putting anyone down that like this!). Every thermal flight is different. I have to read the plane... was that a thermal I just flew through? ...is that buzzard got something over there?

Dave
Ditto...Besides, after you speck out, you have to burn altitude somehow- Rolls, loops, split-s's, a scorching speed run, etc.!
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Old Feb 01, 2002, 10:39 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
Dave:

I thought kinda the same way until I started flying them. First a 1.5m Flipper, then a 2m ship. Now eyeballing some 3m ships.

WHERE DOES IT ALL END??

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 01, 2002, 11:07 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I'm looking at a 12' model myself..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 01, 2002, 11:21 AM
North Branford, CT
Joined Jun 2001
690 Posts
Look for a 2m TD Aileron ship that's light.
Cut the nose and insert your power plant.

The FVK Organic comes to mind. It can be driven fast, it will roll and fly inverted.

Speaking of mind, keep in mind that excellent TD performance and aerobatics don't usually come rolled up in the same airframe.

Good luck.
stephen.s1 is offline Find More Posts by stephen.s1
Old Feb 01, 2002, 11:39 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Till the day I die I doubt anything in RC flying will ever give me as much of a thrill as thermalling my scratchbuilt 16' glider until it was a speck in the sky, barely able to see what direction it was going.
I didn't intend for it to get quite that high but a monster thermal took it up like an elevator and each time I tried to bring it down a bit the wings started fluttering big time.
Thought for sure it was a goner but after 3 hours I finally landed it with out any damage.

I've never gotten bored with thermal searching - it's the essence of flying. There are lot's of hawks in my neck of the woods - 17 of them came over to my plane a few weeks back, just to see what I had found. Too much fun!
Dave's description said it best - it's never the same twice.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Feb 01, 2002, 12:24 PM
Idaho
Joined Oct 2001
261 Posts
Check out the Speedy review on the Open Discussion board. It claims to be an aerobatic and thermal performer. I don't have one so I can't give any personal insight but I just read the review and thought of your post so decided maybe this is close to or is what your looking for.?

Josh
JayParke is offline Find More Posts by JayParke
Old Feb 01, 2002, 01:33 PM
Southern Rockies
Joined Jan 2002
328 Posts
The Thermal Sickness

Having been afflicted with this terrible disease for the last 20 years (primarily through Hang Gliding) I thought I had found a cure. Obtained a Wife, followed by 1st child, followed by 2nd child. My Hang Glider hasnt left the barn since our wedding day, However recently a good friend suggested RC soaring and somehow a Firebird 2 was placed under the tree from santa for our 6 year old. This was followed 2 weeks later by a Great Planes Spirit which in turn was followed by an ART HOBBY 1.5M HLG.

I really thought I had found the cure for Thermal Sickness but in fact its apparent that I was only in remission. Thermalling is really an artform and pilots develop different techniques and as was posted above, every flight is a new adventure.

Some of my fondest memories are based around a good day of thermalling with friends followed by a nice 3 or 4 hour cross country flight wehre the only focus was finding the next thermal to extend the flight.

Its great to be able to get back into that frame of mind and do the same stuff but with no risk of bodily injury. I should have started this hobby years ago.
leverick is offline Find More Posts by leverick
Old Feb 01, 2002, 01:39 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
http://216.40.226.212/~admin2/forums...threadid=26616

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Old Feb 01, 2002, 06:40 PM
Crash test dummy
Atascadero, CA
Joined Dec 2000
100 Posts
mauilvr was talking about trying to kill off altitude, and having to fight with wing flutter. I'm used to flying slopers, where that isn't much of a problem, and I recently (and narrowly) averted disaster with my Cumulus that way. It seems to me that it is so heavy (with the motor, etc) that the margin of error is very small. It just picks up (and keeps) momentum too well.

What techniques are you guys using for bleeding off excess altitude? The two obvious things, spoilers and slipping, weren't helping much. I've since increased the spoiler throw, but I'm still worried that it won't be enough.

How to kill altitude without picking up speed?
Svengali is offline Find More Posts by Svengali
Old Feb 01, 2002, 08:52 PM
Sometimes it works!
Caldera, Costa Rica
Joined May 2000
897 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Seay

Dave
If you're wrong, then I'm wrong with you! There's more science to it than most realize, but then it's still more art than science. In many ways it's a lot like fishing. Every day is different, and every thermal is different. You just never know when the big one is going to come along. And some days the little ones are more fun than the big ones.
Some of the best days I can remember were when there seemed to be no lift at all. Launching and flying a search pattern at best glide speed and notice that there were spots of zero sink. Play the zero sink spots and stay up as long as you want, never getting any higher than launch. Zero sink is lift! After you've done it a few years, the days you have to work the hardest for the time aloft are the most fun. It is addictive!
Back to Odeds' question; You need a wing with lots of torsional rigidity as well as bending strength. Full sheeted wings work good for rigidity. You can blow up open structured film covered wings. (although I prefer them for pure T/D work.) The old Eppler 193 - 205 airfoils work good for "hot-dogging" and some of the newer sections are probably better, but I don't know them as well.
Svengali: "How to kill altitude without picking up speed?" Most times spoilers and/or flaps are suficient, but not always. Sometimes, with some airplanes, a good spin will get you down , but not always. If you are in a real roaring boomer, sometimes it's best to run away from it. There are some that will eat your airplane! Be very careful of towering cumlus clouds. They most always indicate severe lift. On several occasions I have seen guys try all sorts of flip-flops to try losing altitude and end up breaking the wings off the airplane, and the tumbling broken wing halves just kept going up while the fuselage came down like a dart!
If the "devices" are not getting you down, fold them in and try to fly as fast as safely possible in a straight line away from the core. If possible, up wind. When you cross the rim, you should find some down air where the thermal is spilling over. When you pass into it, you'll be amazed at how fast you lose altitude!
And that's another thing that makes soaring so much fun, some days you have fight to keep it up, on others you have to fight to get it down! -gyro-
GYROGEARLOOSE is offline Find More Posts by GYROGEARLOOSE
Old Feb 03, 2002, 12:34 AM
Thiells,N.Y
Joined Jan 2002
427 Posts
you might want to take a look at LMR ships. They are capable of a lot more than thermaling. Ships like the Organic, Carbon Graphite comes to mind. Take a look at Aero-models web site and enjoy.
rbehrends is offline Find More Posts by rbehrends
Old Feb 03, 2002, 01:41 PM
Right here...
Joined Jan 2002
168 Posts
My Multiplex Kranich thermals exceedingly well, plus does beautiful "Manfred Raduis" type aerobatics. It's a lot of sailplane for the buck. As for thermaling being boring. In my opinion, it's like watching paint dry.....

Randy
Ex-Slimedriver is offline Find More Posts by Ex-Slimedriver
Old Feb 03, 2002, 01:41 PM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
I'm convinced. I'll probably go with a pure thermal soarer and keep my Bandit as a "plan B" type model if I'll feel the need for speed...

thanks, I learned a lot from this thread, Oded.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor