HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:31 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
A Funny Thing Happened at the Club Field Last Night

Last night was our club's monthly meeting, which was held at our 'main' field. Nice, because you can fly up until the meeting starts. Unfortunately for me, my truck spat out its clutch (at 50,000 miles!) so I was stuck with my backup car, an '84 rabbit diesel. Let me tell you--you can not fit much flight gear in one of those. So, anyway, I brought my Climax models Wasp, which for the unfamilarized, is a 26" ail/elev sport ship typically powered by an IPS (mine has EPS300C power) and my trusty crusty rusty GWS tiger moth with the curtek lighting setup. Flew the Wasp for about an hour (thank you etec 1200!) and answered a LOT of questions about it. 2-3 people actaully commented that it flew as well as anything at the field. I take that as high praise from someone who just finished flying a pattern sequence with an old Kaos! After the meeting was adjourned, I grabbed the TM from the car and launched it into the dusk. Many more questions about the moth and the lighting system ensued (everybody loves switchable landing lights), along with comments about how long I was flying (over 20 minutes continuous). As I was walking back to my car after landing, the club president pointed at my plane and said to the gentleman he was conversing with, "You see that? That is the future of model airplanes." And no tone of sarcasm was evident, either.[] The whole experience kinda made me glad I couldn't fit the bigger glow models in my car last night--I like getting positive exposure for e-flight.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2004, 01:08 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
Itchy and scracthy what a pair. E Flight is getting more and more popular due no noise and more fields are flyable. I have Pico sticks up to a soon to be maidened "Genie". It is pure fun!!

I was able to fly my small Tiger Moth and the Pico Stick at local school yards up until some one flew a Pattern plane from a tiny field abou 200 X 400 with backstops and play ground equipment adjacent to a elematary school. This was in a middle of a dense neighood of houses. What a dumb thing to do!! I didn't fly there with the Tiger Moth and is across the street from me. At any rate the signs are up at all the school yards "NO MODEL AIRPLANE" Flying. There goes my early morning and evening flying during the summer. Now I have to go to the club field 1/2 hour away. Rats!

John F. Clarke
AMA 9473
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Aug 20, 2004, 01:24 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
John, FWIW, if you play it cool for a while, you may be able to eventually fly your TM there again without inciting the wrath of the local constabulary. My father routinely flies parkflyers in the park across town (hmm, imagine that--parkflyers in a park), and has done so with police cruisers parked behind him--they use the park as a rendezvous point--with no issues. One day, I met him there to fly, and upon entering the field, I noticed a similar sign. No one bothered us--heck, nobody else even USES the dang park. Just use good judgement and leave if asked to.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:05 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
I too have a perfect School grounds. It hadn't had students in years. Recently they said they will use it again as a school. I had some school security at another field told me to leave. The vacent school has a nice track and when people are using it I don't fly. The school workers used to watch me fly and nice and polite in fact the school security differant guy just asked that I not use the field when kids are playing ball. Heck that is a given and he seen my pack up when the kids arrived. I may try again next Monday if it isn't windy.

John F. Clarke
AMA 9473
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:48 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
A friend of mine who is a writer for a model magazine commented recently that electric flight would be the downfall of giant scale. He said this during a flying session in which three giant scale flyers were flying their foam 3D airplanes. The same guys who just a year earlier bought trailers to haul their planes around now come to the field in just their cars without the big planes.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM