Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:07 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Inkjet refills

My new 'puter came with a bundled Dell A960 inkjet printer. Vast improvement over my Okidata 9-pin.

But it uses proprietary Dell ink cartridges and there don't seem to be third-party suppliers for them. Not a big issue, I hate to be locked into one-and-only situations.

I notice that "generic" refill kits are available for inkjet cartridges. Advisable or not? Are some brands to be avoided? I know that there are "moving parts" in the cartridges, but I imagine that if I can get 1-2 refills out of a cartridge that will help. Most of my color printing will be digital photos and quality is a consideration, so if using new ink cartridges is best, so be it.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:05 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
I would be interested in this as well. I also got the A960 a few months ago and I really dislike it. I should of never got rid of my old HP. This A960 really uses up the ink.

I may use it as a boat anchor if I have to keep using so many refills.

Shawn
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:48 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Doesn't Dell just relabel some other brand like Lexmark?
If that is true, and you can figure out what it 'really' is, there may be cheaper cartridges out there for it.
Refilling may work fine. Try it and find out.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:08 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,163 Posts
Successful refilling has been hit or miss for me. I have a 10 year old cannon black ink cartridge that has been refilled over and over with cheap ink. I'm still on the original cartridge. However, my HP 720C color cartridges refuse to work correctly after a refill. I may be crazy, but they seem to know they have been tampered with.

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:17 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,755 Posts
I'm about to find out how refilling works also - I just bought the kit a few days ago.

I have a new HP 7760 PhotoSmart that uses EXPENSIVE cartridges. The refill kit was $16.99. I hope it works - a combo pack of 2 black and 1 color cartridge was $72.99.

We'll see........I have my doubts, although Costco has been selling this kit for a long time.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Aug 20, 2004, 03:13 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
I'll give it a try since there is not a definitive thumbs-down on the refill idea. I'll get an extra set of factory cartridges in case the refills don't work out. And I _will_ avoid the economy "$4.99 made in china" refill kits in favor of the name-brand refills.

No big rush, I'm planning ahead to avoid expensive printer supplies.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Aug 20, 2004, 03:52 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I've been using these guys.... $7.95 vs $29.95 for Epson..
http://www.ezinkjets.com/
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:03 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
I've been using these guys.... $7.95 vs $29.95 for Epson..
http://www.ezinkjets.com/
That place has great prices on refils but the prices for the brand name products suck. What printer do you have? I've got an Epson 785epx that takes the T008201 5 color cartridge. ezinkjets has refills for $8.49 which is great, but the Epson brand is selling for $28.95 which is high. I've been getting the brand name for $15.00 and free shipping at http://www.databazaar.com/
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:16 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Bill does this look like your printer?

http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/o...UxNHwx,00.html
Old Aug 20, 2004, 04:17 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Here's what I've observed with ink cartridges and refilling.

Most brands of cartridges (Epson and HP for sure, I've never disassembled any others) have a solid state sensor that monitors your ink supply and generates those "hey, go buy some more expensive ink cartridges soon, you sucker" messages on your printer monitoring software. Actually, it may not be worded exactly that way.

This sensor also knows when you take a cartridge out, whether it's empty or not. Once you remove it after the initial installation, you're done. It also sets a hard data condition that tells the printer the cartridge is empty, once ink falls below a certain level, and once that occurs, refilling the cartridge does no good, as the printer still sees that "empty" condition. As far as I can tell, it has to do with the sensor being exposed to air vice ink. It seems to be un-resettable by any means I know of.

Having said that, I've refilled Epson cartridges (have never owned any other brand of I/J printer) many times over. The trick is to refill at around half empty or thereabouts, before the sensor is exposed. I imagine this would apply to most other brands of cartridges too.

The problem with refill kits is, that there is a wide variation WRT ink quality. Many inks are made in China cheaply, with little or no testing done, and have more of a tendency to run, smear, fade, or clog the nozzles than OEM cartridges' inks. You use the cheap inks at your own risk, as most printer manufacturers will void your warranty if you use them and try to get a warranty repair.

FWIW, it is the sale of OEM replacement cartridges that make I/J printers so dirt cheap these days. The manufacturers usually sell the printers at cost or even a small loss, and hope that you will buy LOTS of replacement carts from them, at an unbelievable markup.
This sales model has spurred a HUGE underground industry in the Far East and other areas, of gray market counterfeit OEM cartridges. They look the same, the box art is the same (occasionally a typo slips through-a good sign to look for), but the carts themselves sell for about half of normal retail, and are decidedly inferior in every way. Many of the el-cheapo web vendors sell these fake cartridges.

Buy a laser printer to avoid all this.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:53 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedude
That place has great prices on refils but the prices for the brand name products suck. What printer do you have? I've got an Epson 785epx that takes the T008201 5 color cartridge. ezinkjets has refills for $8.49 which is great, but the Epson brand is selling for $28.95 which is high. I've been getting the brand name for $15.00 and free shipping at http://www.databazaar.com/
The brand name stuff here at Best Buy and Circuit City has similar prices as those listed for the "genuine" Epson parts.

Over $30 for both black and color.
Inkjets sells both for less than $7 each.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:06 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
I have seen some "chip resetters" on ebay But dont know if they work or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:17 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
Man go to walmart and buy a refill kit there they sell color and black. I have a Canon 7004 photo printer and I can tell you I will never again pay $60.00 for a new one. The refill works just as well. The instructions are clear and concise and once you do it its a piece of cake. And they sell for about $10.00.
rchawks is offline Find More Posts by rchawks
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:36 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,045 Posts
My HP remembers the serial number of the last two cartridges that were installed in it. I buy remanufactured cartridges from ebay. Refilling was just too messy...
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Aug 21, 2004, 03:54 AM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kist2001
My HP remembers the serial number of the last two cartridges that were installed in it.
OMG it is only a matter of time before Kodak starts making cameras that only take Kodak film. Ford cars will only run on BP gas. Toyota cars will only take Mobile 1. The stinking oil will come with a chip on the bottle and not having the right oil will void the warranty or perhaps even keep the car from running.