VIP Maiden!!!

Hi :

I'll maiden my VIP this weekend.

My setup:

Mega 16/15/3
CC Phoenix 25
TP 3s 2100 Gen II
Apc 4.75x4.75.

Is there something I should Know before the maiden.

My only concern is the esc.( I wanted a 35 but I had a 25 without a home ) But I've read in a few posts that it should be ok.

Will like to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

epc2.
epc2 is offline Find More Posts by epc2
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:38 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,782 Posts
I have the same exact setup for my VIP. Just waiting for my tp 3s 2100 pack to arrive. I did some static tests with a 8 cell (9.4v) nicad pack and it pulled 23 amps. I'm assuming that the 11.1v lipo pack will pull more amps so I went with the phoenix 45 to be safe. I'm more concerned about pulling too many amps for the lipo pack.

Anxious to hear a flight report!
Ben
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:41 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Neither the ESC nor battery can handle the current draw you're going to see.
Be careful!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 19, 2004, 09:22 PM
CT, USA
Joined Feb 2002
211 Posts
TP G2 cells should be fine.

My gen 1 Tp-2100 is handling it fine, but I modulate the throttle. Mine starts at (static) 21A then goes down a bit to 19A as the voltage drops to 9.4V under load. In the air it unloads, probably to about 17A. The batts come out hot. I have about 20 cycles now and its holding up.

I tested these cells one time on a CBA battery tester and they overheated at 10A constant, meaning the really should be rated under 5C (they are rated at 6C). The point is, things are much different in the air, and even though I'm pulling about 8C, its ok as long as its a short burst (30 sec) with cooling.

The VIP is my first fast plane. Have your launcher throw it hard but straight, and at a bit of an incline. You can use full throttle, but this thing climb fast! So throttle back until you are used to it. Use plenty of expo. If you get nervous, just remember that you can slow it down.

Regarding landings, it will land farily slow but it will snap roll on you if you get too slow. I have been having bad luck lately. The grass is just long enough to catch a wing tip and cause it to cartwheel. I suggest slowing it down and landing into long grass, that's what works at my field, but if you have short grass that may work fine for you. One more thing...it seems to take forever to land. My field is just large enough for some shallow turns to bleed off speed, and an S turn on final going slow may snap it, although it is usually well behaved right up to stall.

Anyway enjoy, and remember a clean change of underwear
Erez-E is offline Find More Posts by Erez-E
Last edited by Erez-E; Aug 19, 2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:49 PM
Central Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
137 Posts
My CC 25 with the TP 2100 11.1 is not only working flawlessly its coming out after a 5 min flight mildly warm, not even close to hot. I'm a newbee to all this speed (2 weeks now 10 flights ) and the VIP is a very quick but very forgiving plane. I've always launched my VIP myself, not trusting anyone elses throw, but its exciting for a few seconds. If you can hold that little bird at full throttle for more than 6 seconds your a better man than me. Mine will go straight up to 700-800 feet with just a 3 second burst of power, and then glide for 20 to 30 seconds before slowing to 50mph or so. Make sure your balanced at 40-41 mm and the controls moving very little and tight. I'm not sure (have to measure) but the controls don't need to move much. The VIP has been a blast to fly. The more you do it the more fun it gets. If I had to offer my advise I'd wait till I had 10-20 mph winds before testing, gives you another second to act after launching .
Jamie
IFO Nut is offline Find More Posts by IFO Nut
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:50 PM
Central Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
137 Posts
I forgot I'm running a APC 5x5 prop.
Jamie
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:15 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erez-E
My gen 1 Tp-2100 is handling it fine, but I modulate the throttle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFO Nut
If you can hold that little bird at full throttle for more than 6 seconds your a better man than me.
Note, neither of these are holding full power for long.

I tend to fly my pylon ships like jets. Power has two settings, off, and I'll let you guess the other..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:21 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,697 Posts
you are looking at 30A at full throttle, but as you trottle back quite much on a pylon ship it should be fine.

setup a good dualrate and expo and you will be safe... if it gets scary throttle back! it flies awsome at 1/4 speed too!!

put some effort to a stright and nice throw rather then a hard but twitchy one.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Aug 20, 2004, 08:50 AM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,782 Posts
Wow, sounds like launching these things can be tricky. What exactly can go wrong?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:20 AM
Central Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
137 Posts
WOW !! What can go wrong. As fast as all the launch happens, one quick or wrong move and you can be past 90 degrees on the wing angle real quick. Then, you guessed it up ain't up, well, thats the biggie. Thats still my fear as I open it up more and more doing some very sharp turnning, going past positive with up would be quick disaster. Mine flys like a normal pattern ship at 3-4 clicks of throttle (80-90mph), smooth as glass.
Jamie
Last edited by IFO Nut; Aug 20, 2004 at 11:28 AM. Reason: no pic
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:40 AM
CT, USA
Joined Feb 2002
211 Posts
I have yet to launch it myself. I have had launches that were not so straight, but this damps out pretty quick, and I have my launchers throw at about 30 degree angle. There is plenty of oomph, so this gives me some extra space to fix a botched launch. So far so good. Most people say throw it level, but I prefer 30 deg or so. The landings take a lot more to get right in my opinion.
Erez-E is offline Find More Posts by Erez-E
Old Aug 20, 2004, 01:14 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFO Nut
WOW !! What can go wrong. As fast as all the launch happens, one quick or wrong move and you can be past 90 degrees on the wing angle real quick. Then, you guessed it up ain't up, well, thats the biggie. Thats still my fear as I open it up more and more doing some very sharp turnning, going past positive with up would be quick disaster. Mine flys like a normal pattern ship at 3-4 clicks of throttle (80-90mph), smooth as glass.
Jamie
Oh, I understand now. I'll be very careful if I ever fly it on a flat field. I fly on the slope, so I'll just throw it out off power and let it coast out to a safe height before hitting throtte. Thanks for the tip.
Ben
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2004, 07:30 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,782 Posts
Ok just got my 3s tp2100 pack and did some static tests.

Mega 16/15/3
4.75 x 4.75

31 amps at full throttle. Is this too much?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2004, 01:00 AM
Mugi wingman
New Mill
Joined Mar 2004
61 Posts
Hi Ben,

I prop my 3S1P 2100/2200 packs for +/-30AMPS static. I don't know how many AMPS it's drawing as it unloads in the air but the packs come out hand-warm. Just take it easy on the first few flights and monitor the temperature of your packs carefully. Restrict your fullthrottle runs to about 10-15 seconds then fly 75% for a bit and have another burst....This TP2100ma pack is VERY! good and I've not had any problems at all and flown my Mugis with a Mega 16x15x4 with a CAM speed 6x6 prop many times. Wicked setup and unlimited vertical.

Good luck,

P.
Clogz is offline Find More Posts by Clogz
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:48 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jul 2002
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogz
Hi Ben,

I prop my 3S1P 2100/2200 packs for +/-30AMPS static. I don't know how many AMPS it's drawing as it unloads in the air but the packs come out hand-warm. Just take it easy on the first few flights and monitor the temperature of your packs carefully. Restrict your fullthrottle runs to about 10-15 seconds then fly 75% for a bit and have another burst....This TP2100ma pack is VERY! good and I've not had any problems at all and flown my Mugis with a Mega 16x15x4 with a CAM speed 6x6 prop many times. Wicked setup and unlimited vertical.

Good luck,

P.
Running a 2100/2200 1P pack @ 30amps is ~15C, that's over the top unless it's only for very brief bursts and even then I wouldn't push the batts that hard. Just my opinion, ymmv.
RapidRaptor is offline Find More Posts by RapidRaptor