HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:35 PM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Micro Helis Don't Belong Here

Just my opinion, but micro helis don't belong here, be it FF,RC or Robot. There is a forum just for that subject. I find them very interesting, but there is often a bit of acrimony associated with them that I could live without. If I want to read about them I know where to go to do it, and this board is not the place.

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:50 PM
Joined Dec 2003
795 Posts
Dave, I had to look up acrimony.
I have a new word to use now.
Rob
robert harik is offline Find More Posts by robert harik
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:58 PM
account suspended
Joined Jun 2003
453 Posts
the only reason they are put here(the ones like pixeleto proxflyer) is because they use simmilar electronics to indoor and micro planes and they dont spark much intrest in the micro heli board. normal micro helis use parkflyer size equiptment and range from about a foot and a half to 2 feet in diameter so people there dont care much. smaller than that seem to use actuators pager motors and other micro size motors, closer to modern day indoor and micro equiptment
EricCartman is offline Find More Posts by EricCartman
Old Aug 19, 2004, 02:07 PM
Zlin Flier
Ventura CA
Joined Dec 2003
459 Posts
indoor ultra light micro helicopters belong here

Tiny helicopters belong here. These flying machines use the same kinds of motors and electronics, fly in the same indoor places, and are flown by the same people. When it comes to flying in the living room tiny helicopters are loads of fun.
Rick McWilliams is offline Find More Posts by Rick McWilliams
Old Aug 19, 2004, 02:34 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,811 Posts
It seems to me that it is not the micro helis that bother people on the forum but rather some of the postees that tend to take part in heli discussions!

This is probably a very un-PC thing to say but sometimes I like to speak my mind and I am willing to suffer the consequences whatever they might be.

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Aug 19, 2004, 02:48 PM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Disclaimers

I use the word heli as a guide to what not to read. If all discussions of these have the word in the thread title, I don't mind where they are. I can see the overlap of interest for the actuator-based ones. I think the under-one-oz ones might be reasonable here. Just inlcude the disclaimer.
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Aug 19, 2004, 03:11 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
I am spit between two views. Part of me wants helis in some limited sense to be here. We actually know more about what is needed to make an ultramicro heli fly then most piccolo pilots (until it comes to actually flying them). However part of me realizes that the threads on this subject seem to go down bad routes. I am not sure what causes this but it is similar in the ornithopter forum, I think it is something to do with mechanisms.

I would like to allow some heli in the forum but from now on I will be policing it VERY carefully. We have had some really nice heli threads from Crash for example but any offtopic posts or talk of patents or the history of micro helicopters will be deleted. If this is not OK then I will simple move every single heli post to the heli forums.

YOU have been warned.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Closed Thread