HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2002, 06:19 PM
somewhere
Joined Jan 2002
35 Posts
Why are there not many women not interested in RC

How come you dont see alot of women into rc. Are there any females out there. I is pretty rare to see a woman pilot. My girlfriend likes to watch but she doesnt really care about how they work. She doesnt even want to fly! ??????Women
The Hover Man is offline Find More Posts by The Hover Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2002, 06:29 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
Because they know it would cost way too much to have one in every color for each day of the week, BOY This thread is going to get flamed.....(Now putting on asbestos flame suite)
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Jan 31, 2002, 07:10 PM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
Transmitters aren't voice operated; they can't nag the plane around the field (!)

Accessories are something for THEM to wear, not put on a plane(!)

You ever try to parrallel-park a Zagi at a shoe store?

Gold connectors are only gold on the INSIDE and not outside where they can be seen(!)

Glue on the fingers??? YUCK!

No diamonds used in the construction of any R/C planes(!)

OUCH. And this is from a guy coming up on his 28th anniversary in a couple of months......
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Jan 31, 2002, 07:59 PM
union township clermont county Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2001
159 Posts
women have other priorities. They are more pleased, when we repair the plumbing, wash their cars, change the oil. Assuming you have done all these things, they might not care if you go flying since they are probably visiting the grandchildren, or spending your spare change at the mall.
little nail is offline Find More Posts by little nail
Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:03 PM
UT, USA
Joined Mar 2001
63 Posts
Strange,

My wife likes to fly "our" planes. She learned to fly on a zagi w/o a buddy box.

Of course she also want's to be the one to rotate the tires on the car and if she is really good, I let her change the oil...

-e
etbadger is offline Find More Posts by etbadger
Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:08 PM
union township clermont county Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2001
159 Posts
Women have other priorities. If you repair the plumbing, wash her car, and change the oil, she probably won't mind if you go out and fly occasionally. A woman would rather go to the mall and shop for her children, and or grandchildren.
little nail is offline Find More Posts by little nail
Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:10 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by etbadger
Strange,

My wife likes to fly "our" planes. She learned to fly on a zagi w/o a buddy box.

Of course she also want's to be the one to rotate the tires on the car and if she is really good, I let her change the oil...

-e
What are you trying to do spoil her
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:30 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,453 Posts
For the same reasons not many many men are interested in needle work!

Reason 1. Just not interested
Reason 2. To shy or afraid of peers reactions

For example if a man was to start going to a cross stich night class it's not something he's likely to tell his mates about at friday night drinks after work. Same applies in reverse.

Personally my abnormal interests for a woman have never bothered me but I do tend to have more male friends anyway.

Pehaps the day I bought a box of electric motors, batteries and lamps to my school's 'show and tell' when I was 9 years old was a sign of things to come!

PS: I hate knitting and sewing, just used it as an example!

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:31 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Dodgy territory here!

Especially around the DC Metro area here - Glo and Di Wells, who helped start up the "LadyHawks" (AMA women's SIG) live not too far away, and show up at the e-vents, if not the Sunday sessions.

My wife Sue bought herself an Amptique at the first Queen City field KRC. I was tasked with the glue-y jobs and the technical stuff to make it fly. So far, her stick time amounts to about two minutes. I got bored during the All Up, Last Awake at Lehigh Valley and gave her the tranny to hold.

She reckons it's that women don't need hobbies, they have children and / or husbands (with a look suggesting the two are somewhat similar). That's from a woman who once told a male co-worker she didn't want equal pay with the guys as she couldn't stand taking the pay cut.

She breaks her Sunday routine to pack my lunch and send me off to play with my "little friends" - after checking I have a folding chair, sunscreen, insect spray and suitable hat, of course. I try to take a model aircraft or two at this juncture. She also backed me up at the club's e-funfly when I ran it - organising people and handling money being two of her really favourite occupations.

So, I'm not that fussed that she doesn't join me.

Anyway, if Sue took up RC, there'd be a lot of whupped guys at the site. She only accepts one standard, whatever she's doing - guess where in the pile she sits?

As to the rest, I suspect they are like Sue, and just don't want to. There's going to be some, of course. I met a guy once who knitted superb woolen garments - bet "women's crafts" don't spend their meetings dicussing how to get guys into quilting or pottery.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 31, 2002, 09:25 PM
somewhere
Joined Jan 2002
35 Posts
Ya i guess you are all right. Heather i wish there were more women out there like you! There should be!!!!
The Hover Man is offline Find More Posts by The Hover Man
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:01 PM
Cat With Wings
Texas
Joined Mar 2001
316 Posts
Sometimes I really wish I could avoid the temptation to look at these posts. I've always had hobbies, the same hobbies as some of you here, but never really had the money for any hobbies like this till now (still don't REALLY have the money). Though, I was basically raised a carpenter and building and designing is right up my alley, now for the flying part... ahem... well, as long as there are no lakes I'm JUST fine (or rivers, or ponds or oceans, well, u get the point) I have off EVERY afternoon this whole week, and have Sunday afternoon off.. Figures that the weather would suck. When are we gonna get to use the indoor place in Dallas?!

Sass
SassyCat is offline Find More Posts by SassyCat
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:17 PM
Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Joined May 2000
256 Posts
So they have time to spend with guys named Fabio, receiving full body massages while we are out flying.
totalboss is offline Find More Posts by totalboss
Old Jan 31, 2002, 11:00 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
Tell me gentlemen : how many men do you know that are into knitting?

Different strokes for different gender
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 01, 2002, 12:16 AM
Sydney
Joined Jan 2002
43 Posts
Hey! I agree that it takes all types.

Try and work this one out boys.....

My wife loves to keep house.
She used to ride horses (no time or place at the moment).
She loves to paint.
She spends a fortune on clothes and skin care products.
She has no idea how to change the oil in her car.
She has no idea how a four stroke engine works.
She's not really interested in any form of r/c aircraft except only to keep me company when I go to the park (she reads a book).

She is the Captain of a C130 Herc with over 2000 flight hours.

Dead set proud of her....now if only I could work her out......
Ratbait is offline Find More Posts by Ratbait
Old Feb 01, 2002, 12:26 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
I think its simply an individual thing. My wife doesn't care a whit for how things work but she sure loves to know about how people work!
My daughter (11 yr old) is similar to that but still wants to fly. When she flies though, I have to watch her carefully as she is likely as not to stop watching the plane and start watching "the pretty bird over there Daddy", as the plane augers in. My son, on the other hand (her twin) is bored by flying.
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike