HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:25 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
What do you keep your Lipos in?

My first Lipo battery will be coming to my house soon, and I'm a little nervous. I would like to know what you guys put them in when your not using them?
EddieNewYork is offline Find More Posts by EddieNewYork
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,095 Posts
Well after all I have read posted , reference's these lipos.........I now use a metal ammo can that seals with a gasket and 4 latches , maybe not the best , but the best I have handy , I feel better about the storage now .
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:11 AM
<burp>
Brookhaven, Mississippi, United States
Joined Mar 2002
232 Posts
I use a clay flower pot...
rmasonjr is offline Find More Posts by rmasonjr
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:19 AM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
I keep them in soup cups while charging and store them in a portable metal parts drawer 24 inch long and 3 x 5 inches high and wide, old parts bin for $2
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:32 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Good variety so far... Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:11 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,611 Posts
Sentry fire safe from walmart $17.00, to charge them and a Brinks security box to transport. Do a search and you will find these two very popular.

POWER
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:13 PM
Mmmm.
Selkirk, Scotland.
Joined Jun 2001
294 Posts
I use a Sentry Firesafe, seems to be a popular choice this side of the Atlantic, it is just slightly larger than your average transmitter case. I am sure there must be similar products on sale in the US.
Andy McCowan is offline Find More Posts by Andy McCowan
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:14 PM
Mmmm.
Selkirk, Scotland.
Joined Jun 2001
294 Posts
Oops, seems Power types faster than me!
Andy McCowan is offline Find More Posts by Andy McCowan
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:30 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Apr 2004
4,930 Posts
Thanks you guys, Is this a good one to buy for charging, carrying, and storing?

Also, does this mean if it the battery explodes inside of it, nothing will happen on the outside, as longs as it's closed and locked?

My main concern is... I'm worried about when I'm not home, should I just leave this safe in the fireplace when I go out?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:53 PM
Unsafe at any speed
Rochester, NY
Joined Jun 2003
442 Posts
I have a pretty similar fire safe to the one you just mentioned...it's heavy, but it does the job alright and my roomates aren't worried that I'm going to burn our dorm down while we're out.

And if a battery goes while it's in the safe, you're probably fine. There won't be open flames spewing out of it (in all liklihood) and I haven't heard of any cases of li-poly's going up in smoke after they had just been sitting around minding their own business for a while. Every instance of an explosion I've heard of has been either during or right after charging or discharching. If you fly your plane and go home with it, by the time you're back if it hasn't already blown up I'd be confident that it's not going to (as long as you don't short it out at some point afterwards)

If you've got the thing in a safe, you should be fine. Maybe if you want to play it safe don't leave the safe near some candles and curtains, but I'd say leaving it in a fireplace is a little extreme. On a table or on a floor somewhere should be perfectly alright in that safe.
Wiseguy is offline Find More Posts by Wiseguy
Old Aug 18, 2004, 02:50 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
663 Posts
I charge mine in an old safe that the lock was removed from. I run the cord through the hole. The safe is about 12" cube inside. I believe it has a 1 or 2 hr fire rating.

I live in the country, so I fly in my backyard, but will have to get something if I want to travel with them. I don't think I will ever field charge.

Tim
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Aug 18, 2004, 03:35 PM
Apache Junction, AZ
Joined Mar 2004
85 Posts
I use a tin baking dish from my wife's kitchen. So far, she has not missed it.
samcrismon is offline Find More Posts by samcrismon
Old Aug 18, 2004, 03:47 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
An ammo can. If it'll contain 1000 7.62 rounds, it'll contain a Li-Po. It also have a seal on the lid, and a locking latch that cannot open unless the user opens it. I charge them outside, and store them in my shop in the ammo can away from flammables. If you want to be sure packs are totally isolated. Put sheetrock dividers inside the ammo box. Sheetrock will not burn...ok, well except for the paper surface, but the rock cannot burn through and will protect the other battery. I use a 7.62mm ammo can, but you can find bigger ones if needed. A 50,60, or 46 caliber would be much bigger. You can find these at flea markets and mililtaryt surplus supply houses. Hope this helps you.
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:03 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Charge:

Home charge: I charge in a small fire safe from Walmart (heavy bugger) in my basement work shop. Smoke detector active and a fire extinguisher handy.

Have only charged in the field once so far -- and that was during a fun fly (more flying than normal) ...

Storage:

I Store in my plastic caddy that I take to/from the field. As we know these cells don't spontaneously start to burn, so I store them the same way I do the NiMh/Nicd batteries....
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Aug 18, 2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:46 PM
Corvallis Oregon
Joined Mar 2003
15 Posts
I charge in my gas barbecue on the patio (it's off of course :-). I figure that it's pretty fire proof.

Storage is in a waterproof ammo can on the same patio.

Keith
kmarchng is offline Find More Posts by kmarchng