HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 13, 2002, 04:27 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,072 Posts
You are absolutely right JT. Some of us 'push' the envelope a bit. If you aren't satisfied with the performance that's what you do -- you 'push' the motors and the brushes wear out. Brushless now fits my type of flying very well and no more motors to wear out 'quickly' . A life time investment (not a week/month investment).....

Oh, when you are first learning and 'donk' your planes a lot, the brushed motor is definitely the way to go . And actually the 400 6V has been a good motor for me in the sky scooter. I got over 180 flights on the first one which is an acceptable life time for a 10 dollar motor..... Still going on the second....
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Sep 13, 2002 at 06:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2002, 05:45 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
JT,

I agree with every thing you said, you push 9.6 volts through a 7.2 volt motor you will fry it. When I say that I have smoked 4 motors, I take that back, I have wore out 4 motors. After taking a couple apart I was shocked to see that they were running just a few minutes prior, without brushes. But the problem I also have, my first carbon brushed ISP motor only gave me one flight, and I wasn't cooking it, just 6 Nimh cells. I'm not really pushing brushless motors because of more power, but because they don't have brushes to ware out. The extra power with lower current is just a bonus. If fourleaf's brushless gave the same power at the same current of the ISP motor, I would be happy to pay what ever he ask.

Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old Sep 13, 2002, 06:01 PM
Des Moines Municipal, Iowa, United States
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fill

If fourleaf's brushless gave the same power at the same current of the ISP motor, I would be happy to pay what ever he ask.

Philip
Reminds me of the Budweiser commercial: I love you man!

In regards to use vs abuse...OK, I abuse the IPS motors. Perhaps it is my slimer backround, but if run as the manufacturer suggests, they are just pitifully underpowered, IMO.
fourleaf is offline Find More Posts by fourleaf
Old Sep 13, 2002, 07:41 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
I still have 4 of the old wet magneted DX wiper motors left in unused geardrives. Two of the ones in use have over 10 hours each on them, but I only run real short bursts of full throttle on my 8 cell packs through them. I like the performance and electron economy of the stronger magneted motors.

I find that even my weakest CD motor, the Mitsu BML motor does a stellar job with the watts consumed to output power.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Sep 13, 2002, 08:02 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,490 Posts
Ron,

Quote:
Tapemeasure is in centimeters, not inches.
I KNEW that !

The 2cm diameter outrunner boggled my mind . . .

The 'SBL-Mini' might do for one of my MiniAC1215/16's . . .

rclark,

Quote:
120 flights on the AC1215/16
WOW !
And I have two of those . . . Boy am I in for a lot of flying next summer with the kids at school all day . . .

Looooeeee / DNA,

Quote:
the cheap 280 motors.......
are GREAT !

I've 11 of them, and just love the relaibiltiy vs the price !

My Kelly climbs at 30 degrees with a Graupner Speed 280 on 7-cell 500mah NiMH's. . .
NO need for me to put my Hacker B-20-26L ( or a MiniAC1215/16 ) into that, as I had thought of doing !
The cheap, easily-replaced motors will do . . .

I'm just finishing a proflie 'trainer' . . . 24" span/ Speed280 power, for my 4-year-old son to have a go with -
At 9oz weight and '280 power it don't matter if it crashes . . . ;-)

I'm going to double it in size for my AXI, as well . . .

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Sep 15, 2002, 11:31 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keven64
I KNEW that !
Did you now, old fruiteeeeeeey?

Quote:
Originally posted by keven64
The 2cm diameter outrunner boggled my mind . . .
The one with the tapemeasure is from www.torcman.de/shop, the even smaller one was made by a *trumpets* Dutch pilot who likes building small things.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:19 AM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Looooeeee!
Another " if there was only...."

a mini outrunner LRK BL which won't need any gear reduction,
5 to 9 cell operation at upwards of 7 amps, 1.5 oz. overall with prop adapter, all for $ 75.00 ( yeah, in my dreams...)
Looooeeee, I just bought that very motor. 75€ from www.handlaunchglider.de , it's called HT Mini-LRK. Pulls 6.5A HOC on 8xTwicell 700 and an APC 10x4.7. I'll stick it in my 80% Su-31 this weekend - It'll probably be nice!

/ Jonas
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:34 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Am I missing something here?

What about the Astro Firefly motor?

http://www.astroflight.com/Brushless.html

$89
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:42 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Bill: The Firefly is coreless, not brushless.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:46 PM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
Sorry about the coreless vs brushless but I guess I'm not sure what the difference is and from looking at the specs for the FireFly it appears to do/give what you guys are asking for.

Is there something missing in the coreless that the brushless motors offer?

Thanks for a little education..

- Bill
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:51 PM
Swedes don't grow on trees
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2001
496 Posts
A coreless motor still have brushes, and brushes tend to be the weak link in brushed motors!

/ Jonas
Jonas Leander is offline Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Closed Thread